cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pocono 400 Trip Report

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
We got back from the Pocono 400 race last night. It was another great trip with our 34-year-old Allegro. I don't want to curse myself by saying this out loud, but EVERYTHING worked. Usually there's some sort of issue with some major system. Last year it was the fridge - wouldn't stay lit and I broke the gas line messing with it. The year before it was the generator - it wouldn't stay running. But this year was great.

We were a group of 4 RVs this year - two friends in pop-ups and a third with a rented 24-footer (the Falcon in the pics). The more I do this RVing thing the more I realize that group camping is much more fun. We all help each other out with stuff we may have forgotten to bring and just have a good time overall.

I finally bit the bullet and did some long-needed repairs/upgrades to the Allegro. Top of the list was the air bags in the front springs. They've been bad since I got it back in 2013. It was not a fun job but I really should have done it long ago. The rig is much more stable and nicer to drive on the highway now. It also sits level like it should. Yeah I know the bags are more or less a band-aid, but they're a manufacturer installed band-aid so I figured they must know what they're doing.

I also put up an LED strip light under the awning. I sprung for a $55 kit that got good reviews on Amazon. The cheaper kits don't get great reviews. This kit came with a channel that you snap the lights into. They are super bright. In the pic with the fire you can see the light they're throwing from the top right of the pic.

I replaced the rear bedroom reading lights that had both shorted out with LED lights. I have LED panels in my original fixtures, but these new units that were built originally as LED lights are so much brighter. I'm going to replace all of my original lights eventually.

Last, I fixed the handles and stop-buttons on my awning arms. There was nothing left of the old ones and putting the awning up and down was a battle every time. Now it functions like it should. It's something else I wish I had done long ago.

Anyhow, here's a few pics.

And this American Pride Camaro was absolutely stunning to see in person. The detail is amazing:

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
5 REPLIES 5

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
MP soldier wrote:
I had infield camping tickets for the race, but sadly had to cancel last minute... So bummed. It would have been our first race.

That sucks.

We do the "family camping" outside of turn 3. It's first-come-first-served but it's never full. We stay close to the shuttle stop that takes you to the infield (also close to the bathrooms).

I haven't done the infield yet. It's pretty crowded and you're "stuck" there until after race time. We usually duck out mid-race to avoid traffic and watch the rest at home. They do let you stay until noon the day after, though, so if I were to stay in the infield that's what I'd do.

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
I had infield camping tickets for the race, but sadly had to cancel last minute... So bummed. It would have been our first race.
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Rgtopda wrote:
Looks like fun. I bet you get a lot of gawkers. I do Talladega twice a year and I am planning my first trip to Bristol from Gulf Breeze Fl. Up until last year we took a 94 Itasco that was almost perfect condition... I could have sold tours to people wanting to look inside...

Pocono is only an hour from me so I go at least once every year. The thing is too old to go much further than that. I do get a lot of people asking about it, and smiles and waves on the road.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty-four years old? Wow. Looks good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like fun. I bet you get a lot of gawkers. I do Talladega twice a year and I am planning my first trip to Bristol from Gulf Breeze Fl. Up until last year we took a 94 Itasco that was almost perfect condition... I could have sold tours to people wanting to look inside...
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.