Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plate / Dishes storage in small camper

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Was not sure where to post this, but here it is.

We are in a small travel trailer again, but not crying there. We have used the same method of storing plates and dishes in all campers we have owned. But for some reason, I am not happy with it any more. Looking for ideas, even if I need to build something. I have a shop.;)

This is what we have... If is a vinyl coated corner "shelf" which sits in the cabinet with the melamine plates and bowls horizontal on it. While on the road the dishes side off into the cabinet, ready to attack the unsuspecting person who opens the cabinet once parked again.:S Usually me! I was thinking a vertical rack system (plates turned up on edge)may work better. All units I find pictures online require a lot of space and the plates have individual slots. I was wondering if there is a solution out there that would hold breakfast plates in one slot, dinner plates in another, and bowls in another. The catch is, that I want the rack to hold the plates while driving as well as parked. I have some ideas, but do not want to over engineer / build this. As I mentioned the plates and bowls are melamine material, so they are durable and do not require separation. Thanks.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
23 REPLIES 23

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We use paper plates whenever possible.

X2 They stay in place, don't make noise, don't need washed, and are light weight.,
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good pld33270, if they shift forward over that bottom bar, you can always use one of those small bungee cords and secure it across the front.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. I have not gotten a chance to read all of them.

Over the weekend I was thinking thru the design of the dish storage rack design and I discovered the wire corner rack turned on its side looks like it will work well. Just need to give it a trial run. Click HERE
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have not had a chance to read thru all the post yet.

Over the weekend I was playing with the corner wire rack I had to get an idea as a mock-up for me to build something. I turned the wire rack on its side and made a vertical plate rack out of it. It appears functional but will require a test run.:) I secured the rack to the rear of the cabinet with a wire shelving hook. The rack is removable for cleaning and such. This seems to be a good quick fix. I will try to get a picture posted soon.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
I use a picnic caddy for plates and silverware. Bowls and beverageware sit in a fabric-lined basket.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We just stack them on top of one another. Like at home.
In our B I do put paper plates between the Corelle plates to keep them quiet while driving.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
How about a couple beach balls? After you load the cabinet blow them up enough to take up the extra space and stuff them in to keep things from shifting.

Or rolls of paper towels or toilet paper. Cabinets need to be full if you don't want things sliding around.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the bowls but for the plates, what about stacking them and then storing vertically in a magazine holder? It would be easy enough to leave them in and pull them out since the front area is lower. The holder could be "attached" to the cabinet in whichever fashion you want using the 3M picture hanging strips.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZXTMPI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LZXTMPI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX...
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
How about a couple beach balls? After you load the cabinet blow them up enough to take up the extra space and stuff them in to keep things from shifting.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It's not very convenient but you might try putting a piece of the vinyl shelving material (sometimes called Slip Stop) between each dish. It works wonders.

That's what we do and it works great! Nothing slides around and doesn't fall out the first time I open the cupboard at a stop.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought dishes at West Marine that have a rubber insert on the bases making them non-slide. Very serviceable. Amazing the amount of stuff at a good marine supply house that is very useful in an RV and often at a good price....
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
We have a partial set of Corelle. Dinner plates on the bottom, smaller plates next, bowls on top, directly on the bottom of the cabinet. No problems with sliding around. Now the cabinet is pretty full with food storage containers, etc so that probably helps. Some of the non-slip liner is on the bottom. We have been on some very rough roads with this setup, no problem.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My dishes are plastic, mostly a combination of Rubbermaid ones that I think are melamine (they are pretty nice, and so of course have been discontinued) and some thinner but still pretty sturdy ones with covers that I think are Ziploc Tabletops (also pretty nice, and of course also discontinued). I've generally tried to avoid glass and ceramic tableware for the motorhome, though that's probably a case of excessive caution more than anything.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We use paper plates whenever possible.

x2. We only have about 6 plates total. Unless it's food that's hard to cut on paper then it's paper. 100 paper plates hardly takes up any room.