cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Peeves in RV Parks

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of sounding like an old grouch, lets lay out our gripes about camping in RV Parks. I'm currently on Galvestion Texas for a month. Things were quiet until this truck and old camper pulled in next to me alast night. The guy is a door slamber. A constant door shut niose went on for at least two hours. He has a bunch of kids that were also loud but I can overlook that. Kids will be kids. Why didn' he leave his doors open while he set up. Then there is another neighbor who fires up a truck with loud pipes and lets it run forever. These are my two gripes of the day. Seems like every park you stay in has has the loud truck start up and idle. Part of the problem is sites are so close together. Anyone else?
126 REPLIES 126

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
I asked this a few years back. Some replies slammed me, but there was more support.

We were on the road for the last 3.5 weeks. It takes us approx 30min. to break camp in the morning. We then start the truck and position, hook up, do a final walk around and leave. Truck idles for maybe five minutes and is Tundra V-8 quiet.

So why in 3.5 weeks did we run into so many diesel class A's who feel the need to start the engine at 6AM and then do God only knows what for the next hour and a half before they leave? You bought a $400K, 400HP, 40 foot RV. Does it really require a 90 minute warm up before you can safely drive it down the road? We only spent one night together, but I promise to miss you when you're gone. Do you need to wake up the entire park to wave goodbye?

Before you tell me I'm just jealous that I don't have a diesel pusher, I'm not. (Well maybe just a little bit). Saw one today that was such a bargain my wallet started to twitch, but I digress.

If there is a reason for the 90 min. warm-up, please explain it to this dumb 5th wheeler.

Thanks,
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" unless in a class A and have an air leak and waiting for the chambers to fill "

This is true!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98 wrote:
restlessways wrote:
My biggest pet peeve at RV parks has been horrendously loud diesel pushers pulling in right next to me late at night, waking me up then continuing to run at high idle for like 30 to 40 minutes. I don't have anything nice to say about those people or to them. Most end up leaving the next day because they were just passing through, but it has happened to me a handful of times and is ridiculous.

I really enjoyed traveling around and seeing different places and RV parks when I had purchased my 5th wheel 10 years ago. Most places weren't even 50% full, many less than 25%. You'd have empty spaces all around you. Now they're stacked up like cordwood. I don't enjoy it anymore so I quit. I only use my private campsite when I want to go RVing. There's plenty of space and none of the annoyances.

What about in the AM when they start the engine and let it idle for a long time before leaving???

That does get old, I start, hook up and idle out to the road,,, the 6.7 is ready to run at that point..no need to idle any longer , unless in a class A and have an air leak and waiting for the chambers to fill
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
restlessways wrote:
My biggest pet peeve at RV parks has been horrendously loud diesel pushers pulling in right next to me late at night, waking me up then continuing to run at high idle for like 30 to 40 minutes. I don't have anything nice to say about those people or to them. Most end up leaving the next day because they were just passing through, but it has happened to me a handful of times and is ridiculous.

I really enjoyed traveling around and seeing different places and RV parks when I had purchased my 5th wheel 10 years ago. Most places weren't even 50% full, many less than 25%. You'd have empty spaces all around you. Now they're stacked up like cordwood. I don't enjoy it anymore so I quit. I only use my private campsite when I want to go RVing. There's plenty of space and none of the annoyances.

A common irritation & totally unnecessary.

Ever seen construction equipment or farm equipment started started & left to run for 15-30 minutes before running up the RPMs & put to work?

Start it up, put your shore power stuff away, idle on out of CG. By the time you get to the road the engine is ready for whatever.

What about in the AM when they start the engine and let it idle for a long time before leaving???
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
restlessways wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
I'm up early, really early. If the nose LEDs are still on I leave a polite note on the offending windshield. It's actually worked a time or two.

Somebody mentioned a deaf eye. That's not how it goes 'bro. :B

I get if someone has super bright lights that shine in your window, but if it's not impacting you, why even care?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Drunks, loud music

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would think automatic shut off shower valves would be a good solution; and cheaper than reheating all the water you lost.

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
Since this happened at two places I've been to; teenage pranks. Seems bored teenagers with little parental supervision go and turn on all the hot water faucets in the shower houses, then you go to take a shower, and - no hot water. My wife tells me it's not just the boys doing it either, she's gone to take a shower and found all the hot water left running in the women's side too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
MFL wrote:
SterlingHayden...welcome to the forum!

Yup, a few grumpy old men on most any forum. You just need to smile, look past the old guy having a bad day.

You'll notice the fun, more easy going folks on this forum, are the much larger number! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lots of knowledgeable people, with helpful info, that you can share info with. Hope to notice that you stuck around, to add to a great forum!

Jerry

Yep. This forum has tons of super nice and super knowledgeable people...

...and Jerry. :B

Welcome about, Sterling. Happy camping.

I third the motion!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bird Freak wrote:
Just a few for me. Real bright lights at night that light up my site. Dog's that will not stop barking and kids going wild in golf cart's unsupervised.

BB gun (slingshot works good too and makes a better more challenging game out of it), fish oil (or exlax) and nails....solves all those issues. Not part of your RV park assault camping kit?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
SterlingHayden...welcome to the forum!

Yup, a few grumpy old men on most any forum. You just need to smile, look past the old guy having a bad day.

You'll notice the fun, more easy going folks on this forum, are the much larger number! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lots of knowledgeable people, with helpful info, that you can share info with. Hope to notice that you stuck around, to add to a great forum!

Jerry

Yep. This forum has tons of super nice and super knowledgeable people...

...and Jerry. :B

Welcome about, Sterling. Happy camping.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a few for me. Real bright lights at night that light up my site. Dog's that will not stop barking and kids going wild in golf cart's unsupervised.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds