cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
This drives us crazy. Nice night and weโ€™d like to leave windows open for air but are forced to close shades tight because of a porch light aiming right at us. Youโ€™d think in the close quarters of most RV parks that people could be more considerate
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
105 REPLIES 105

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boy would dislike being next us! We have found that having a string of LED lights around the bottom of the 5er have solved our rodent problems. While we typically are in maintenance positions and away others, we have been loop host for last three months. The first month we were is a bit of an isolated site from campers, the last two we are in with other RVs, only request was when we had a couple in a tent next to us for five days. We managed to block most of the light to their site. The only time we have had a mouse issue was during a nine day power outage. I will say normally I lay the strip down lights up, this time they are lights down.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Unobtanium
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Quiet time in most RV parks I have been in is 10 pm. I would think that means sitting out talking ,lights on etc. I suppose if you guys are whispering sitting in the dark that works, but its doubtful you do .

So now "quiet time" means you need to be inside by the stated time?

I know of a state park that used to be great for astronomy fanatics who used to set telescopes up right near the campsites in an open area. Then they upgraded the loop to full hookup sites and that was the end of that. It now looks like Times Square and attracts an entire different demographic of user, lots of class A's and C's who try and cram into the sites with a high percentage of rude and obnoxious uppity busy bodies for some reason. Even the deer that used to graze in a meadow nearby all night stay away from that area when the place is lit up like Broadway.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I've forgotten before and left my porch lite on all night. Felt terrible. If someone had said something to me, i would have fallen all over myself apologizing. So if its me, Please remind me how inconsiderate i've been!

Treat others like you'd like them to treat you. Small things can help or hurt the right person a lot.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV parks I've been to have almost all had street lights turned on all night so I'm not going to complain about a porch light. I just lower the window shade.

I have never had this problem at a campground where the surrounding area is dark.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am 80 years old and hope I never have to worry about these trivial things. I have more important things to worry about.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Had an similar issue with a neighbors light that was shining through our tent end when we were tuning in for the night. I politely asked them turn off the light as they were fine with it. problem solved.

I'll put up a string of lights, I just unplug when I turn in, notice most other folks do the same, no worries.

Mike

I think this type of polite communication is key, but it is important to remember it is a 2 way street. My family (kids included) are night people. So if your "turn in" time is 9 or 10, I'm sorry but my light is staying on. 11 or 12 when we go in and they 100% go off. Everyone should be flexible, but also willing to communicate. Now if a neighbor leaves it on all night (we have all forgotten and done it), a quick reminder and I'm sure 99% will say no problem.

Quiet time in most RV parks I have been in is 10 pm. I would think that means sitting out talking ,lights on etc. I suppose if you guys are whispering sitting in the dark that works, but its doubtful you do . Most expect whatever is going on until quiet time, but after that its time to shut it down . We are talking about outside lights here, I'm sure whatever lights are on inside is not a problem.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LED has become the bane of people who don't care for lit up trailers. All the RV parks/campgrounds have many, I mean many, trailers that are lit up when no one is outside. I've used our lights when we're outside, but shut them off when we go in. Easy, peasy. It's gotten to the point where one doesn't need a flashlight to go to the showerhouse/restroom. ๐Ÿ™‚ Since our new bedroom doesn't have windows right by the head of the bed, it's not as big of an issue as it once was.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ill agree , most people dont even know there lights are on and bothersome. Always ok to go and explain it to them. When i had a pop up it was more bothersome then. Any light would light up the bed ends. Some of the fith wheels have lights on all sides, and they have no idea they are even on.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Of course lights are 100% acceptable when you are out and active. When you retire for the night just turn them off.
Don't understand why folks like light. Darkness is our friend. I like it when the bad guys bang their shins and trip over stuff trying to get to my gear. Why should I light the way to their paradise?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:
Had an similar issue with a neighbors light that was shining through our tent end when we were tuning in for the night. I politely asked them turn off the light as they were fine with it. problem solved.

I'll put up a string of lights, I just unplug when I turn in, notice most other folks do the same, no worries.

Mike

I think this type of polite communication is key, but it is important to remember it is a 2 way street. My family (kids included) are night people. So if your "turn in" time is 9 or 10, I'm sorry but my light is staying on. 11 or 12 when we go in and they 100% go off. Everyone should be flexible, but also willing to communicate. Now if a neighbor leaves it on all night (we have all forgotten and done it), a quick reminder and I'm sure 99% will say no problem.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about those 5th wheels with the V shaped LED lights on the nose... very annoying
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m also amazed at how many people have no idea what each switch does. And instead of turning off the switch because they donโ€™t see anything they leave it on. This is not a new to the person RV, but you can clearly tell theyโ€™ve had the rig for a while!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Unobtanium
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 2M candle power spotlight and return the favor. They may get the hint, or maybe not.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I am with you on that 100%. I hate to turn the porch light on to take the dog out.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly