cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Park Host Opportunity at Bentsen State Park

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
In discussion with the volunteer coordinator for Bentsen State Park in Texas (A World Birding Center Park) she indicated that they don't get as many applicants to be “hosts” as they would like. Being an RVer myself and having been a full timer for a while I know there are a lot of people out there who would be interested in this type of opportunity. I offered to post their link on the forum for those who might have an interest. This would be for the 2020-2021 season

https://tpwd.samaritan.com/recruiter/1353/OppDetails/216894/Park-Host-2020-2021-Bentsen-RGV-State-Park/#.XcG0GtJKi9I
USMC Mustang 8989
3 REPLIES 3

Skline01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Yes I think people could have some concerns about the border with what they read and hear in the media. Hopefully they would take a closer look and see the large number of “winter Texans” that come down each fall and winter - well above 100,000. Many of us live here full time in 55 plus communities. Also there is a large number of “winter Texans” that cross the border in to New Progresso, Mexico each day ( I have heard the figure of 5000 to 8000 a day. These are normally day trips. I just recommend anyone who has concerns about security do a little research on line in local media to the area and they will see it is very safe. Thanks though for your heads up because I suspect as you, it is a very real perception.
USMC Mustang 8989

bwodom
Explorer
Explorer
First, definitely refer her to volunteer.gov as recommended by another member. We use that extensively and have gotten all of our assignments that way.

Second, I checked the location because we are headed to the southwest this winter. I wonder if some of the lack of applications may be due to the location close to the Mexican border? As we have been mapping our trip, our son has been quite vocal about safety issues in border states, and the news over the past few days certainly will not allay those concerns.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteer.gov

I see at least one other Texas State Park is using this site.

Have her try this resource. It allows applications and agency responses.

A clicky for your listing
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.