cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painful just to look at lol

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
There is a picnic table and trees behind it to keep it from going into the creek

29 REPLIES 29

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:

Oh ok, The full weight of the rigs is on those tires and blocks. Well, not all of the weight because some is on the front legs just like an FW RV. When I say landing gear I mean the front lift legs. I always say that tires are taken for granted and are an absolutely incredible product when we consider what they go through. Its just the sight of that incredible amount of pressure with that type of blocking. Maybe its no big deal or maybe it ends up being the tire that just wasnโ€™t able to last as long as the others.

What indication do you have that the tires are loaded to over 30% of rating? Looks like about that percentage of normal footprint. Do you have any idea how often a fully loaded tire contacts like that on the highway?
And with 1 block ahead, the other behind center of axle, probably chocked pretty well. I would want 2X6, 2X8 or 2X10 but most use what they got.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
azrving wrote:
4x4van wrote:
With the complete lack of tire deflection on those pieces of wood/rocks, there has to be something else supporting it. There also has to be something other than a "picnic table and trees" to keep it from going into the creek, or it would've already rolled off those "blocks". Would've been nice of the OP to actually post a pic that gives the whole story, rather than just a single piece of the puzzle, allowing him and everyone else to feign outrage; "OMG!". But where's the fun in that, right?

There is no automatic lift leveling system. It was sitting on what you are looking at in the pic. There was about a 6โ€ diameter rock behind the rear tire on the other side. The landing gear leg on the far side was on dirt and the one on the side of the creative leveling was on a substantial wood pad. Its not terribly steep but im using wood chocks on both sides of my rig.

Thats the whole story. I didnโ€™t go over on their side and do a full photo shoot and documentary interview. Lol

The rock over to the left was behind the left tire

No offense meant, sorry if that's how you took it. I was simply referring to the complete lack of tire deflection on those tiny surfaces. On your further description, I would guess that the landing gear legs on both sides (unmentioned and unseen in the original picture) were likely taking up most of the weight, along with the tongue jack or tow vehicle.:)

Oh ok, The full weight of the rigs is on those tires and blocks. Well, not all of the weight because some is on the front legs just like an FW RV. When I say landing gear I mean the front lift legs. I always say that tires are taken for granted and are an absolutely incredible product when we consider what they go through. Its just the sight of that incredible amount of pressure with that type of blocking. Maybe its no big deal or maybe it ends up being the tire that just wasnโ€™t able to last as long as the others.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
4x4van wrote:
With the complete lack of tire deflection on those pieces of wood/rocks, there has to be something else supporting it. There also has to be something other than a "picnic table and trees" to keep it from going into the creek, or it would've already rolled off those "blocks". Would've been nice of the OP to actually post a pic that gives the whole story, rather than just a single piece of the puzzle, allowing him and everyone else to feign outrage; "OMG!". But where's the fun in that, right?

There is no automatic lift leveling system. It was sitting on what you are looking at in the pic. There was about a 6โ€ diameter rock behind the rear tire on the other side. The landing gear leg on the far side was on dirt and the one on the side of the creative leveling was on a substantial wood pad. Its not terribly steep but im using wood chocks on both sides of my rig.

Thats the whole story. I didnโ€™t go over on their side and do a full photo shoot and documentary interview. Lol

No offense meant, sorry if that's how you took it. I was simply referring to the complete lack of tire deflection on those tiny surfaces. On your further description, I would guess that the landing gear legs on both sides (unmentioned and unseen in the original picture) were likely taking up most of the weight, along with the tongue jack or tow vehicle.:)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been in a few LQ horse trailers even ones with slide outs; the last one I toured had an onboard generator and 2 ac units one for the cargo area and one for the LQ. Our small livestock trailer is very well built; it was purchased for hauling sheep and gets used for hauling lots of other things.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
It probably gets used hard, put up wet, and will still outlast most of the other trailers in the campground

A friend has a horse trailer rv thats never even had a dog or cat in it. Its a lot like a truck camper with the bed to the front or on your right as you enter. The bath is to the left with the toilet on one side and the shower on the other. There is a door to the cargo area in the center of the bathroom. The TIG welds are a work of art. Its all aluminum but built like a tank.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
It probably gets used hard, put up wet, and will still outlast most of the other trailers in the campground
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a Willie Nelson camper.
In 2011 the World Shooting & Recreational Complex n Sparta, IL hosted the U.S. Open Trapshooting Championships and the Country Throwdown, featuring Willie Nelson, on the same weekend. The WSRC has 1,000 campsites and it was just about full. A bunch of sites were occupied by concert goers in goose neck stock trailers outfitted with cots and furniture. And, the Willie Nelson camper was born!

I did get to see Willie. I was done shooting for the day and the folks next to me had an extra ticket.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe he was trying to level trailer FRONT to REAR as suggested in another thread

Having traveled/camped all over the USA this leveling of horse trailer is NOT some of the REALLY interesting methods we have seen
Wouldn't even make the list..........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr_andyj wrote:
It's a stock trailer (livestock).
You should hear the comments when horse people/ cow people pull up in their stock trailer as a camper, even though it has nicer living quarters than most of your new campers...

I have done more leveling with less. Many times I would use a rock and just teeter the wheel up on it, this way I drive off and keep going when it is time to leave. It is way quicker than pulling out the plastic leveler things.

Yep - a Californy plated ranch truck parked up a living quarters hoss trailer across from us one time on the coast. Campground walkers gawking and whispering. Owner walks around and opens the back door and there was a BMW 1200 GS standing there munching hay. Guy looks over at our bike camp and says "dual purpose bike, dual purpose trailer..."

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
It's a stock trailer (livestock).
You should hear the comments when horse people/ cow people pull up in their stock trailer as a camper, even though it has nicer living quarters than most of your new campers...

I have done more leveling with less. Many times I would use a rock and just teeter the wheel up on it, this way I drive off and keep going when it is time to leave. It is way quicker than pulling out the plastic leveler things.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet he has a much fun as most of us do when he is camping. He is using what he had at hand.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It'll never work unless those sticks are oak.
Puma 30RKSS