cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ouch! Invisible bugs?

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
I know what mosquitos are. Pesky, biting PITAs that are practically Minnesota's state bird.

I camped in South Carolina last week, and I was constantly slapping at the unknown, annoying invisible biting things.

Are these what you call the no-see ums I read about here?
22 REPLIES 22

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I got real bit up when catching bait at hunting island,never will do that again without spraying first.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Also referred to as sand gnat, sandflea, sandfly, no-see-um (no-see-em, noseeum), granny nipper, chitra, punkie, or punky
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Y
Get some Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil, just the plain old bath oil, and smear it on all exposed skin before you go outside. You'll smell pretty strange but it does work.

Don't bother they are both completely worthless. I've tried so many products for the no see-ems that didn't work it's ridiculous, including the above.

2 products I've had suggest with . 1st is cactus juice bug spray. Works okay. The 2nd and by far the best I've tried is Repel Lemon and Eucalyptus bug spray you can get at walmart.

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from 2 months in Ireland and the North Atlantic side by the peat bogs are famous for Midges ( a slight variation on the bug discussed here )Anyway the Midges didn't seem to be able to get through the screens and the camping car vacuum would suck them up, Now in Labrador with the black flies we had no Electricity so we suffered, and the no see ums in Maine was also bad.
But I have to agree the chiggers we encountered in Maryland were the worst.
Happy RV ing moments we won't forget.
Aloha from Kauai
Leon
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
tbred wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Keep in mind, also, that no see ums can very easily come in through your screens if you keep a window open. They are worse than mosquitoes, deer flies and rattlesnakes!!

Can't possibly be worse than the Missouri chiggers! Chigger bites are the gift that keeps on giving- for weeks!

Ah yes...we lived in Missouri at one time. Now I remember!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you visit an area where the insects and climate are so vicious? After 3 years residence in VA, I wouldn't go back to the east coast or the mid-West for all the tea in China!

Washington, Oregon, Northern California, maybe western Idaho and Colorado are my limits.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Keep in mind, also, that no see ums can very easily come in through your screens if you keep a window open. They are worse than mosquitoes, deer flies and rattlesnakes!!

Can't possibly be worse than the Missouri chiggers! Chigger bites are the gift that keeps on giving- for weeks!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
The bugs in VA were the main reason we were so happy to move back to Washington after three years. The humidity and the 3 pm summer thunderstorms were secondary reasons.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we learned in Wakulla County was that no-see-ums couldn't fly real high. So we persuaded our neighbor..our welding-shop neighbor..that he really did want to weld up a platform complete with seating about 40 feet high.

It worked a charm although descending after happy hours could be a problem.

The oddest thing is that he didn't live on the lot and only showed up a couple of times a year.
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance, no I wasn't at Ft. Stewart...

You might say "the whites of their eyes"...or you might say "you can smell 'em comin."
-jbh-

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
On a military base, next to a small lake. Pretty sandy soil I noticed. Lots of pines. We were enjoying a nice, calm evening, until the darn things chased us in early! And the cockroaches!! Yikes! I've never seen them before either.

Cockroaches?? I would bet that they are just beetles.

Or "Palmetto Bugs", aka giant roaches. Hate those things.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
John,

You didn't spend any time with the 24th Infantry Division or at FT Stewart, did you? The Avon Skin-So-Soft was the repellent of choice and the joke was that the division went to the field smelling like a French bordello. I guess they couldn't get hold of an unscented version...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Rolling Condo wrote:
Yep those are the notorious No See,um's. Also called Flying Teeth.

Yep...Flying Teeth!

Put a fan on outside and use Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition Insect Repellent Unscented