cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon to spend $50 million on new campsites, park imprvmnts

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
In an incredibly generous act, the 2021 Oregon Legislature approved the issuance
of $50 million in General Obligation bonds to fund state park facility improvements. Debt
Service on these bonds will be paid with state general funds instead of requiring park funding to
cover this cost. This funding will focus on improving or replacing facilities and infrastructure,
as well as modernizing and expanding some campgrounds.
The agency will receive two disbursements of $25 million each, with the first occurring May
2022 and the second in March 2023. These funds must be spent within three years of payout.

...Capital Improvement and Renewal: $50,000,000 Other Funds (Article XI-Q Bonds) is approved
to finance the capital costs of making improvements to facilities in multiple Oregon state parks.
The project includes improvements or replacements to facilities and related infrastructure such
as buildings, water systems, septic and sewer systems, electrical systems, restroom and shower
facilities, as well as modernizing and expanding campgrounds.

Sure happy Oregon prefers using the traditional definition of "infrastructure".

For list of projects--
https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/CAC/Documents/2021-11-8a.pdf

News article--
https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2021/11/oregon-state-parks-to-spend-50-million-on-new-campsites-pa...
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed
14 REPLIES 14

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skibane wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
And those from out of state who complain their is a minor surcharge - vote with your feet.

That's pretty much the only vote they have - since they can't vote in Oregon.

Here in San Antonio, our local politicians have the same attitude with hotel taxes and fees: Soak the tourists, since they can't vote!

Likely doesnโ€™t hold a candle to the Hotel taxes in NYC!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a visitor from the free states I found Oregon a lot less oppressive than Washington tho we only spent a few days in WA vs most of September in OR.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
And those from out of state who complain their is a minor surcharge - vote with your feet.

That's pretty much the only vote they have - since they can't vote in Oregon.

Here in San Antonio, our local politicians have the same attitude with hotel taxes and fees: Soak the tourists, since they can't vote!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksg5000 wrote:
Oregon needs more State Parks - the ones we have are always filled. And those from out of state who complain their is a minor surcharge - vote with your feet.

Agree100%, they are expanding a couple looking at the document. The North Campground at Silver Falls should be a win. Cape Lookout sounds like they plan to rebuild it on higher ground to avoid the erosion that they have been fighting.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon needs more State Parks - the ones we have are always filled. And those from out of state who complain their is a minor surcharge - vote with your feet.
Kevin

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon has no sales tax but has income tax.
Adding a surcharge is not a tax because no taxes are used to pay for State park funding.
If you don't like the surcharge don't come here to camp. It's already hard enough for Oregon residents to get spots. Or stay in non State parks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When did Oregon start a "general sales tax"? Don't they have an income tax?
You can stay a many private campgrounds for the cost of state parks!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon does not tax out of state people except general sales tax. I think go ducks is talking about different rates on campground fees for in state and out of state. they say that in state people have already partially paid for the campground through their taxes where out of state visitors have not contributed anything to the state's finances so get charged a full price. It is not a surcharge as much as it is a discount for in state people, or so they say... Its a tax.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Oregon can afford this as they raised rates and put surcharge on out of state rigs!
This does not include federal campgrounds.

Oregon State parks are funded by registration fees, camping/parking fees and Lottery funds. No tax dollars used.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Oregon can afford this as they raised rates and put surcharge on out of state rigs!
This does not include federal campgrounds.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spend a lot of time on fishing camping trips to Oregon. Thanks for the info.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
This is good news. I hope they spend some money changing their reservation system so that the sites they have are actually used and not left vacant by late cancellations from scammers.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
And here in "south-central" Oregon, the Fremont-Winema National Forest Service has a personal use firewood program that is a win-win: fallen trees are cleared (from recent fires) in exchange for firewood at $5/cord. Sweet!

Personal Use Firewood

Personal use firewood cutting is available on the Fremont-Winema National Forest. Those wishing to cut their own firewood can obtain a woodcutting permit from the Fremont-Winema National Forest Supervisor's Office or local District Offices on the Forest. The cost is $5 per cord with a minimum permit purchase of $20 (4 cords) and a maximum of 8 cords.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/fremont-winema/passes-permits/forestproducts/?cid=fsbdev3_061834
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oregon was doing a great job thinning out the forests both at the Bend area and around Crater Lake. They thinned them to about one tree every 30 or 40 feet. Big improvement and great fire reduction. Leaves a big mess but give it a year or two and it will make camping a lot better. Those were the two areas we stopped at I assume this is a statewide project.
Too nad the state to the south will not do the same.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper