cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Trailer Light Replacements

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old '66 fiberglass enclosed trailer. It has round taillights which insert like a cupholder with metal component and a snap ring. When going down bumpy road the ground gives out and being fiberglass isn't always easy to get a good ground. Does anyone know of a replacement either original or something newer?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On my little trailer I used the standard four wire cable tie wrapped to upper part of frame. Where potentially able to be damaged, I used small plastic wire loom.
Four wire trailer wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, what are you guys using to run wire along the frame of the trailer? I have my ideas but just curious what others do
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Fiberglass trailers will need a ground wire to make lights work. Running a ground along with the positive lines will insure proper operation and make installation much cleaner.

Exactly. Time to rewire the trailer and change lights out
We love our Westie

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fiberglass trailers will need a ground wire to make lights work. Running a ground along with the positive lines will insure proper operation and make installation much cleaner.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
I have an old '66 fiberglass enclosed trailer. It has round taillights which insert like a cupholder with metal component and a snap ring. When going down bumpy road the ground gives out and being fiberglass isn't always easy to get a good ground. Does anyone know of a replacement either original or something newer?

If the issue is ground, replacing the lamps will not fix it. Some say run a ground wire to frame. For decades I have ran the ground just like power, all the way to plug. Most of the trailers I pulled with CMV, the frame was above ground. No benefit to grounded frame. And above, power makes contact with frame, the lights keep working.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I had a 1972 love Bug which is similar to a Scamp. The taillights were mounted on a fiberglass bubble that was mounted on the trailer. I replaced the corroded original lights with LED assemblies that each was wired with dedicated wires that were fed all the way to the plug that attached to the tow vehicle. Every light was directly wired to a ground wire that was connected to the frame and the tow vehicle. Every connection was soldered and shrink wrapped. Never had a problem with my lights in the 10 years that I owned the trailer.v I got the LED lights from a local farm supply shop.

All sound advice. I still want to keep it retro so this is why I wanted to find these lights or replacements.
We love our Westie

blt2ski
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hang in there Larry!!!

X2 Larry

X4 Larry
BOTH of you stay well and safe!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 1972 love Bug which is similar to a Scamp. The taillights were mounted on a fiberglass bubble that was mounted on the trailer. I replaced the corroded original lights with LED assemblies that each was wired with dedicated wires that were fed all the way to the plug that attached to the tow vehicle. Every light was directly wired to a ground wire that was connected to the frame and the tow vehicle. Every connection was soldered and shrink wrapped. Never had a problem with my lights in the 10 years that I owned the trailer.v I got the LED lights from a local farm supply shop.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hang in there Larry!!!

X2 Larry
We love our Westie

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hang in there Larry!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I wish we could leave Az but wife in rehab and now has the virus. what a sucking winter season for us. We are very bored but could be worse and maybe it will.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hey LOU, look on etrailer.com they have a great selection of LED taillights.
Y a should look at what they got to get LED otherwise like was said run a dedicated ground from the frame. BTW, better get your Arse up here. Really nice weather today. Reseeding the lawn.

Believe me I want to get out of the Palm Springs, CA area. Wife has Dr appt the 30th and two elective in May the last on 5/20 "IF" CA Gov does not extend no elective procedures. We will be in WA by 5/25.

Nothing to do here!!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hey LOU, look on etrailer.com they have a great selection of LED taillights.
Y a should look at what they got to get LED otherwise like was said run a dedicated ground from the frame. BTW, better get your Arse up here. Really nice weather today. Reseeding the lawn.
We love our Westie

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:

If you're just having a ground issue you can always run a dedicated ground wire to the frame.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500