cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

old camper at a site i drove by

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Just south of Michigan on Orange Ave in Orlando FL they tore down a old trailer park. This is still sitting there. It must have been a real sweet one in the day from the looks of what's left. It says Vegabond on the front. this is the living room in the front.

32 REPLIES 32

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
FireUP; Back then, autos could be had with BIG motors...and of course they (the cars were HUGE with "real" steel chassis.... compared to todays' almost fragile bathtub clones.

Check out that old movie: "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Dezi Arnez. Same generation trailer, I think...all being pulled with a Mercury sedan (or was it a convertible?)

The Mercury in the movie was a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible. A Lincoln Capri was used for mountain scenes as described below.

I remember that the trailer hitch mechanism had a tire on it as to take some of the weight off of the car.

From Wikipedia:
"The trailer used in the film is the 1953 36-foot Redman "New Moon" model, which sold for $5,345 (equal to $47,846 today) at the time. The new car used to tow the trailer is a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible with a 125 HP flathead V8 engine.

Opening scenes were shot on Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's Stage 12, the same location at which Arnaz played his first film scene in Bataan, eleven years before.[4]

The dangerous mountain highway featured is Whitney Portal Road, which leads up to Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. The hairpin turn offers scenic views of the Owens Valley. During the scenes of Nicky and Tacy pulling their trailer in the mountains, their 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible is replaced with a larger but similar appearing 1953 Lincoln Capri convertible. The distinct Lincoln grille is clearly evident in a shot as the car rounds a curve. The more powerful Lincoln (which is equipped with a 205 HP V8 engine) was needed to pull the heavy New Moon trailer up and over the steep grades of the Sierra Nevada where the scenes were filmed. Other scenes were shot on the Pines to Palms Scenic Byway (State Route 74) in Palm Desert, California.[5]"

MM.

MM and Jerseyjim,
We have that movie. At the time I responded to this thread, I was only thinking of say, a '53 (estimated time frame for that trailer and possibly the movie) chevy. And, like stated, I know of the 216 straight six in those. I'm thinking the earliest V-8 for Chevy was the 265 in or around '55-'56. I'm not familiar with any of the Lincolns or Mercs back then. Thanks a heap for the info and, the stats on the movie.

Oh, by the way, the wife and I have both been up that Whitney Portal road. It is one seriously winding, steep road.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:
I didn't see any holding tanks on it come to think of it. I have no contact that I can find. It sits on a corner of orange ave, just south of Michigan ave. in Orlando FL

If you want give this guy a call and send him pics and location. He is the be all end all restorer of old RV's and if you need a part to restore an RV he's the guy. He'd know if anyone was looking for parts from the trailer you saw.

He is the one I called that came out and saved the TT destined for scrap.

airstreamguy.com
You can contact me at 785.366.6049
or email mark@airstreamguy.com

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
It was called a " Slimp"

Its cool that in reverse it would lower the whole tongue

1950's tow dolly
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you guys haven't been around long enough..

They used tow dollys back then for the large trailers..

Look at long long trailer here on mountain scene. At end 8 min 9 sec mark..

https://vimeo.com/77392290
Mike L ... N.J.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rockhill for doing that. You made my day!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy oh boy ... notice the length between those tandem wheels and the hitch. The tongue weight must have been terrific. I can't imagine even a good old Cadillac or Buick being able to deal with it well.

P.S. We've seen "The Long, Long Trailer" several times, and I'm not sure that the sedan hauling around the trailer in the movie was stock. Perhaps the trailer being pulled was merely a prop mockup of a trailer.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see any holding tanks on it come to think of it. I have no contact that I can find. It sits on a corner of orange ave, just south of Michigan ave. in Orlando FL

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Chances are, that is not a "camper" or "Recreational Vehicle", that is a "trailer house".
Some may ask "What's the difference?". That is a good question.
A "trailer house" does not have holding tanks. It does not have a fresh water tank or pump. It does not have a battery. It does not have a 12VDC system, except for the DOT exterior lights. It was built to be towed to a site in a trailer park, and lived in.
In other words, they were the ancestors of the single-wide "mobile homes" that are built today.
My family lived in one in the early 1950s. It was smaller than the one shown, but similar.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
FireUP; Back then, autos could be had with BIG motors...and of course they (the cars were HUGE with "real" steel chassis.... compared to todays' almost fragile bathtub clones.

Check out that old movie: "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Dezi Arnez. Same generation trailer, I think...all being pulled with a Mercury sedan (or was it a convertible?)

The Mercury in the movie was a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible. A Lincoln Capri was used for mountain scenes as described below.

I remember that the trailer hitch mechanism had a tire on it as to take some of the weight off of the car.

From Wikipedia:
"The trailer used in the film is the 1953 36-foot Redman "New Moon" model, which sold for $5,345 (equal to $47,846 today) at the time. The new car used to tow the trailer is a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible with a 125 HP flathead V8 engine.

Opening scenes were shot on Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's Stage 12, the same location at which Arnaz played his first film scene in Bataan, eleven years before.[4]

The dangerous mountain highway featured is Whitney Portal Road, which leads up to Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. The hairpin turn offers scenic views of the Owens Valley. During the scenes of Nicky and Tacy pulling their trailer in the mountains, their 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible is replaced with a larger but similar appearing 1953 Lincoln Capri convertible. The distinct Lincoln grille is clearly evident in a shot as the car rounds a curve. The more powerful Lincoln (which is equipped with a 205 HP V8 engine) was needed to pull the heavy New Moon trailer up and over the steep grades of the Sierra Nevada where the scenes were filmed. Other scenes were shot on the Pines to Palms Scenic Byway (State Route 74) in Palm Desert, California.[5]"

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech has it right.
Having lived in a 'trailer camp' in the late '40s and early '50s the Vagabond was a nice "house trailer" (nothing like a camping trailer or TT) which today we call them a mobilhome made for full time living.
Camping trailers from that era were small single axle and a few tandems less than 20'.

The Airstream was made as a travel trailer with holding tanks/fresh water tanks/12v and 110v systems/converters/etc.

Lots of confusion caused by those old house trailers someone converted into a beautiful TT such as the all rivited aluminum '40s/'50s Spartan Manor and now call them a travel trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are, that is not a "camper" or "Recreational Vehicle", that is a "trailer house".
Some may ask "What's the difference?". That is a good question.
A "trailer house" does not have holding tanks. It does not have a fresh water tank or pump. It does not have a battery. It does not have a 12VDC system, except for the DOT exterior lights. It was built to be towed to a site in a trailer park, and lived in.
In other words, they were the ancestors of the single-wide "mobile homes" that are built today.
My family lived in one in the early 1950s. It was smaller than the one shown, but similar.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I was at a CG with an abandoned Airstream that someone just left. It was in decent shape. CG Owner called a scrap yard to come get it for the scrap metal. :E

I asked him to give me a couple days before they started to cut it up.

I looked on line for antique airstream clubs and found The Airstream Guy who restores and supplies parts for antique TT's. He drove in from out west and took it and SAVED it!

Here are the pictures of the Airstream that was doomed for the scrap yard!

To OP:

Think of ALL the hard to find parts on that RV you saw that people restoring one could use!

Give a simple shout out/email to were it is located to one of the clubs for that type of TT. :W

This is a good starting point.
/tincantourists.com
http://oldtrailer.com/vintage-vagabond-trailers.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer