cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Batteries - any suggestions?

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be purchasing two new batteries for our fifth wheel as we will be doing some dry camping this year and our batteries are the original ones. I feel the newer ones would be able to hold a longer charge. Any suggestions on what brand or type that may be better than others. I am not looking to spend a fortune but want to have something good on board. Thank you in advance.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs
8 REPLIES 8

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Battery hold down for 6 volts.
https://www.ecartparts.com/battery-hold-down-plate-yamaha-g14-g22-electric-95-copy?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG1vRYNvrypOMWtSSChRTUZUyQX9mrCuyic2vxph-tAQxMkGvheWrewaAjkwEALw_wcB

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Just went from the original NAPA "deep cycle" 12 volts on our Winnebago to 2 Sams Club 6 volts. HUGE improvement. Be aware your battery hold downs will not work with the 6 volts. Took me a while to find something that worked. I remember the old hold downs that encircled the top of batteries and had two bolts to secure them.They apparently do not exist anymore. What I finally found was from a Yamaha golf cart dealer, BAT-2005. This is a plastic bar that goes along the long side top edge of the battery and has a hold down bolt on each end that runs at a 45 degree angle to the battery tray. You need to add pieces of angle at the rear and sides of the battery on the tray to prevent sideways or rearward movement of the batteries once you install the bar. Makes for a very secure battery mount. Much better than the flat bar that came with the original 12 volts. The problem with 6 volt batteries is they don't have much of a clear shot across the top for a hold down bracket because of the filler caps and the raised terminal area. If you go the 6 volt route, you should get the water filler devices that replace the caps and let you use a squeeze bulb pump to keep the cells full.
https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2000-Pro-Fill-Battery-Kit/dp/B001FCAXT0/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FCAXT0&pd_rd_r=9PVMEEQ5Q1Q06FKKD3F4&pd_rd_w=pw86g&pd_rd_wg=PBTcH&psc=1&refRID=9PVMEEQ5Q1Q06FKKD3F4

adynaco
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Best value is a pair of golf car batteries from Costco or Sam's club.

Definitely the best bang for the buck !

You need a GOOD multi-stage charger. Most converter-charger are NOT multi-stage.

Buying a battery from Sears is very risky. Every Sears around here is closed.

They certainly got lots of support from me over the years - very sad it came to this.

Sorry incorrect quote shown - should be Sears/ Autozone one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Definitely the best bang for the buck !

You need a GOOD multi-stage charger. Most converter-charger are NOT multi-stage.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I get about 4-5 years of service from Sears Diehard or Autozone Duralast 12v deep cycle batteries. I don't take good care of my batteries but have been satisfied with sets from either of the above. My first two sets were from Sears and third set was from Autozone and two years ago I bought a second set from Autozone. My 5th wheel is 23 years old.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you will be charging them with a generator it is a good time to review your charging system. Post the converter model for best information.
If you park in the sun much, solar can be an especially good value.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Most would suggest a pair of 6 volt GC-2 batteries wired in series but some of us prefer a pair of 12 volt G31 batteries wired in parallel ... either will offer similar capacity. I recently replaced my aging G27 flooded battery with a G31 AGM because I wanted to mount it in my trailer's front pass through cargo compartment close to the inverter. Since having installed it though I now do really appreciate the fact an AGM requires no maintenance at all, other than proper recharging of course.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380