cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need an RV GPS?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
The Rand McNally RVND 5510 is on sale at Camping World for $83.33. This is the unit with the smaller screen. I have had mine since 2012 when it cost me $260.00, and it has worked well. There were a few growing pain problems with it, but Rand McNally has worked them all out now.

This is a great deal, and I want to buy another one, but I'm worried that I will never get it if I order it online with the way things have been going at Camping World.

I just thought I'd put this out there for those who have access to a Camping World store or are willing to take a chance ordering online.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
17 REPLIES 17

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ugh wrote:
True. But, does it know you are driving something that a small car can only fit through. I had a regular GPS that took me down a path that My class A could not fit. I had to back up for two miles!

I believe there are RV specific programs that you can buy for a couple dollars that have the sense to foresee things like that.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I spent less than that on my smart phone. It has a GPS on it. It uses Google Maps, which updates constantly... for free. It has a super easy interface for finding food, campgrounds, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I can also use it to make phone calls, send text messages and browse the internet. It has a 5" screen so it is easy to see too.

True. But, does it know you are driving something that a small car can only fit through. I had a regular GPS that took me down a path that My class A could not fit. I had to back up for two miles!
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin 760 and it has been anything but a bowl of cherries. Froze in downtown Phoenix, numerous poor directions, improper speed limits displayed, directions to dirt road even though that option is not selected. Updated software/firmware which may have helped-but still occasional faulty directions. Such as telling me to turn right onto Pacific Coast Highway when I'm already on Pacific Coast Highway -and the right turn street has another name.

I have a smaller Garmin I use in my car and it has been fine..

I'm considering a second GPS, maybe Tom Tom, and running them both in the RV at the same time-choosing the directions which make the most sense. Or maybe just study a map more ๐Ÿ™‚

I too like the smartphone google maps gps. But they're at the mercy of a signal.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our Rand RV GPS for over 2 years now. Just like with any GPS you can't totally trust it.

I really don't care if any GPS will let me enter things while I am driving. Actually I am glad other old dudes aren't leaning over their dash trying to look through their bifocals to enter stuff while blasting down the interstate in their RV's at 75mph!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent less than that on my smart phone. It has a GPS on it. It uses Google Maps, which updates constantly... for free. It has a super easy interface for finding food, campgrounds, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I can also use it to make phone calls, send text messages and browse the internet. It has a 5" screen so it is easy to see too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
I'm a HVAC service tech and use GPS, I find they last a couple years, but I use mine at least 5 days a week and average 2 to 4 hours of drivetime daily so it gets a lot of use. They sit in the sun on the dash all summer, and they get HOT.

I am a plumber and I use mine the same way. My Rand McNally has lasted longer than any of my previous GPS units.

Bruce

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Yours is three years old and needs to be replaced already?

No, it doesn't need to be replaced. I am just thinking, at that price, I might just get one for when I do need another. I also thought it would be nice to share this great deal with people here.

Bruce

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a Garmin. I find it easy to use and it works well. As with any GPS, you need to know here you are going because they are not correct all the time.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a HVAC service tech and use GPS, I find they last a couple years, but I use mine at least 5 days a week and average 2 to 4 hours of drivetime daily so it gets a lot of use. They sit in the sun on the dash all summer, and they get HOT.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Yours is three years old and needs to be replaced already?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife ordered the RandMcNally from CW about a week ago for my b-day in August. She got an email the same day saying that the order was received and payment accepted. The next day she got another email stating that this item is back ordered.
It did not say anything about when they could expect the item to be in stock. Since my b-day is in August, I suggested we just wait and see if it shows up in the next few weeks. I have my doubts about ever getting it after reading about so many problems with CW. We shall see...
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Ad says not available on line.
^this

It does say this, but it is the internet special price and they provide the phone number for you to call and order it. It also states that it is in stock.

Bruce

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Ad says not available on line.
^this
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman