cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mountain towing - Ram 1500 ecodiesel (3.92 Rear Axle Ratio)

Sanjeev
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Planning to take my first trip to the smokies in a couple of weeks. My TV is a 2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel (3.92 Rear Axle Ratio). My trailer is a 2016 Shasta Oasis (4300lbs dry weight, add another 700lbs for cargo + 500lbs fudge factor, net weight is around 5500lbs). And yes, in the truck will be my wife, son + myself, so lets say 400lbs.

This will be my first trip towing in the mountains with a trailer, so looking for tips on do's/don't for a safe trip.

Plz let me know if I am missing information, will be happy to provide.

Thanks for reading and comments/suggestions in advance!
27 REPLIES 27

Aslag
Explorer
Explorer
I've received some good advice from a cross country travel trailer delivery driver that uses an Ecodiesel. When climbing keep the RPM under 3,000 and let the transmission pick it's gear. He got 360,000 miles on his first engine. You can get a compression brake option that closes the turbo vanes if the RPM exceeds 2600 while coasting. It is done by having your ECM reprogrammed by Green Diesel Engineering, you also get a few more HP and torque with the tune.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that there are mountain roads in the East that are just as steep and as difficult as those in the West.

Only, in the East the miles driven in steep conditions are way less than what you find in the West. And, the absolute heights generally are lower in the East, which means less oxygen starvation for the power plants hauling us up.

Even in Arkansas, there's one mountain I camp on that doesn't look like much, but it only takes a mile or so to get to the top. I make that climb in second gear while towing. It's as steep as you might find out West, but only for significant less distance covered.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Sanjeev wrote:
Like others mention, my query is mainly aimed at tips while going downhill since that is where things can go awry.

STANG23L wrote:
Set tow haul and try to keep RPM's at or around 2000. It will pull hills with ease with minimal gear changes and give best MPG.

That is what I was also thinking. I have noticed in the short amount of time for which I have owned this truck (bought in December 2017) that is does a good job of down shifting when going down a slope (in or out of tow/haul mode). I live in the Charlotte NC area and so far my camper trips have been to the beaches on the east, this will be my first trip to the moun...err...hills :-).

Short jabs at braking for meaningful slowdown is also good advise, thanks!

I do have a WDH with sway control, so that should also help.

Plz keep the comments coming. It is good for me to hear about experiences others have had on such trips.

Ignore those who think all you have in NC are little hills and not mountains, you have to get a kick out of the my mountains are bigger than yours comments, funny stuff those posts. Those are the people that end up in situations like in this picture, which is in NC by the way, Fancy Gap on 77. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security on our little hills here in the East. I've seen more than my share of RV's going down our little hills while smoking their brakes off. I could take some of those people with the real mountains on some roads here in PA or in WV while their pulling their rigs, and they would probably be checking their pants afterwards.

Yep, I think many of the people that live in the Rockies would be shocked at what in the east!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
bikendan wrote:
When I saw the title had "Mountain" in it, I thought you were talking about real mountains, not wannabe mountains.:W:B
LOL!

Oooooooooo.....our mountains are bigger than your mountains ROFLMAO............

I did the same living in MT. The Smokies are hills. But even if you came out here you would have NO problem whatsoever.

I beg to differ. Iโ€™ve been out west in the mountains many times, the mountains out east are just as steep and Iโ€™ll argue even steeper in some places!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sanjeev
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
Good advice on managing your speed on downhill runs. You are on vacation and should have a good time. Part of that is being comfortable with the drive. With that in mind double check your trailer brake controller settings before you go to ensure the trailer brakes are doing their share. And when you are on the road don't sweat having a few cars backed up behind you because you will be going slower in the turns. You are responsible for driving safely and will be handling a larger rig. It does not help anyone if you feel pushed. Just drive comfortably for your rig and use the slow lane or pull outs when reasonable to be courteous to other drivers.

Have a great trip.
Stu

Great advise, thanks!

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice on managing your speed on downhill runs. You are on vacation and should have a good time. Part of that is being comfortable with the drive. With that in mind double check your trailer brake controller settings before you go to ensure the trailer brakes are doing their share. And when you are on the road don't sweat having a few cars backed up behind you because you will be going slower in the turns. You are responsible for driving safely and will be handling a larger rig. It does not help anyone if you feel pushed. Just drive comfortably for your rig and use the slow lane or pull outs when reasonable to be courteous to other drivers.

Have a great trip.
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Sanjeev wrote:
Hi all,

Planning to take my first trip to the smokies in a couple of weeks. My TV is a 2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel (3.92 Rear Axle Ratio). My trailer is a 2016 Shasta Oasis (4300lbs dry weight, add another 700lbs for cargo + 500lbs fudge factor, net weight is around 5500lbs). And yes, in the truck will be my wife, son + myself, so lets say 400lbs.

This will be my first trip towing in the mountains with a trailer, so looking for tips on do's/don't for a safe trip.

Plz let me know if I am missing information, will be happy to provide.

Thanks for reading and comments/suggestions in advance!

You will have no issues with towing that size trailer.

I have the EcoDiesel in a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I tow a 5600 lb TT.

It has the 3.55 ratio axle.

I just completed a 8700 mile, 63 day coast to coast and back road trip.

I have towed serious mountains out west and all over the country with the Eco including the grade out of Denver to the Eisenhower tunnel.

No exhaust brake, but I always use the paddle shifters when towing to decide what gear is best for the situation.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about any "mountains" you encounter.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
...When I caught back up to him in Donegal a few miles down the road, the TT brakes were still smoking and not a little either. It looked like fog had set in. He had Colorado tags FWTW.

There are clueless people out driving and towing all over this country. Just because they had CO plates is absolutely no indication they know or should know how to drive mountainous terrain. There are people moving here from out of state constantly which makes it even worse.

I see it almost every time I drive from the mountains down into the Denver area, people riding their brakes the entire time. You'd also think that tractor trailer drivers would know how to drive and avoid smoking their brakes too especially when there are a handful of traffic signs warning them about the extended, steep grades they are coming up on.

OP, gear down when descending and as mentioned, stab the brakes if you need to use the brakes. There isn't a whole lot more to it.
I love me some land yachting

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman41 wrote:
I have seen more than a few western state plates with smoking brakes coming down our hills .

Are you in the western PA or ever had the pleasure of traveling state rt 31 from the crest of Laurel Ridge down into Jones Mills? (5 miles of 6-7% with a couple in places in excess of 13% for good measure, or Rt 40 from Chestnut ridge into Hopwood PA?

Rt 31 gets lots of weekend travel trailer traffic descending that grade to get to the PA turnpike interchange at Donegal coming from the State and Private Parks on the other side of Laurel Ridge. All it is on a Sunday late morning / early afternoon is people smoking off their brakes and stinking up the woods.

Not long ago I was descending that grade in 2rd gear doing about 35mph and a guy pulled out and passed going down with a 30+' TT in tow being pulled by an F150, and disappeared out of sight in quick order. When I caught back up to him in Donegal a few miles down the road, the TT brakes were still smoking and not a little either. It looked like fog had set in. He had Colorado tags FWTW.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Sanjeev
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
... I found the slower I crest the pass the easier time I have on the downhill side. That way you are not starting out on the wrong side of the potential energy curve.

Very sound advise, thanks!

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen more than a few western state plates with smoking brakes coming down our hills .

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. A steep grade is a steep grade regardless of the LAT/LONG. Let the transmission tow/haul mode do its thing. I found the slower I crest the pass the easier time I have on the downhill side. That way you are not starting out on the wrong side of the potential energy curve.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanjeev wrote:
Like others mention, my query is mainly aimed at tips while going downhill since that is where things can go awry.

STANG23L wrote:
Set tow haul and try to keep RPM's at or around 2000. It will pull hills with ease with minimal gear changes and give best MPG.

That is what I was also thinking. I have noticed in the short amount of time for which I have owned this truck (bought in December 2017) that is does a good job of down shifting when going down a slope (in or out of tow/haul mode). I live in the Charlotte NC area and so far my camper trips have been to the beaches on the east, this will be my first trip to the moun...err...hills :-).

Plz keep the comments coming. It is good for me to hear about experiences others have had on such trips.

Ignore those who think all you have in NC are little hills and not mountains, you have to get a kick out of the my mountains are bigger than yours comments, funny stuff those posts. Those are the people that end up in situations like in this picture, which is in NC by the way, Fancy Gap on 77. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security on our little hills here in the East. I've seen more than my share of RV's going down our little hills while smoking their brakes off. I could take some of those people with the real mountains on some roads here in PA or in WV while their pulling their rigs, and they would probably be checking their pants afterwards.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Sanjeev
Explorer
Explorer

STANG23L wrote: