cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moth Balls Melt Solo Cup

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve been putting loose moth balls in solo cups and leaving them around the camper when we winterize. Never had any kind of issues in the spring once we dewinterized.

This last winter was different. The moth balls actually made the bottom of the solo cups disintegrate. Itโ€™s as if they melted.

Any idea why? I just donโ€™t want the same thing to happen this winter so Im trying to research it before buying anything this time around.
8 REPLIES 8

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Put the moth balls in a small empty glass jar with the threaded lid removed.

Depending on where (which state) you buy the moth balls, they could be made of naphthalene or para-dichlorobenzene. Both chemicals can effect plastics differently but won't damage glass.

Chum lee

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Who can even stand the smell of mothballs?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Moth balls have changed, they now use a different chemical. I don't know if they have the same effect on pests, you should do some research before continuing their use.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I like you have never had that happen. I have been using the solo cups for years, I would use scissors to make them shorter then punch 4 holes to let the wounderful aroma escape. Maybe the solo folks are making the cups cheeper not as thick.

Will keep doing maybe put small piece of aluminum foil under cup.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Styrofoam or plastic cups?

Solo cups are made of polystyrene, kind of like plastic.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
gasoline does the same thing to styrofoam
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Styrofoam or plastic cups?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Moth balls contain naphthalene. And naphthalene is a solvent. Some solvents donโ€™t play well with plastics.