cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modern Food?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We know we're getting old and times are changing but we can't seem to get really quality food at restaurants. Time after time we leave a restaurant with no good reason to return. Usually the food is "just OK" or worse. We usually like our own home cooked food just fine so it's not that we are losing our taste. Some of my theories are: Many of the young have not grown up with quality food so they set the bar low. Local small town cafes are disappearing. The young seem to want to cover everything with sauces, strong spices, multiple items, etc. so it covers poor meat. They are avoiding traditionals like roast beef, baked ham, etc. They don't cook their own quality food at home.Example: yesterday a "family restaurant". Catfish-bland no flavor, baked potato not thouroghly done and tasteless non-butter spread, funny tasting rolls. The cost is high but hasn't it always been. We do enjoy Steak n Shake, Texas Roadhouse, and the Iowa Machine Shed. Expensive places are sometimes better but some of the best past ones were reasonable.
Jayco-noslide
74 REPLIES 74

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JAC1982 wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Unless you pay high dollars for a meal, everything just comes off the same Sysco truck everywhere you go. Even at high end restaurants much of the food comes from the same purveyors. It is just the way the chefs prepare it. We don't eat out much because of this. We have few favorites. None of them are chains. Many are mom and pop Mexican/Southwestern. One of our favorite places is Southern Vittles in Lake City Colorado. Home style comfort food. This summer the local campground owner told us about a place in Dubois, WY that was over the top including homemade pies.

Tell me about this spot in Dubois ๐Ÿ™‚

Cowboy cafe?
Dubois, WY friendliest town in the country.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
bpounds wrote:
If the food is so poor, how do we explain our fat asses?

I think most of you just resent having to pay for restaurants.

grease, growth hormone and engineered food.
And the biggie: laziness and sloth.

Ice cream.

and pie. don't forget the pie. gotta have pie.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
bpounds wrote:

Ice cream.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
bpounds wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Unless you pay high dollars for a meal, everything just comes off the same Sysco truck everywhere you go. Even at high end restaurants much of the food comes from the same purveyors. It is just the way the chefs prepare it. We don't eat out much because of this. We have few favorites. None of them are chains. Many are mom and pop Mexican/Southwestern. One of our favorite places is Southern Vittles in Lake City Colorado. Home style comfort food. This summer the local campground owner told us about a place in Dubois, WY that was over the top including homemade pies.

Tell me about this spot in Dubois ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the poor food is also a product of speed production to both satisfy impatient customers and to turn the tables over faster. Too much frozen food and microwaves. I remember going out used to be an event that was an hour or more. Now it is serve in 10 minutes and gone in 20. Maybe 30 max.

Cfes
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is getting the same quality TWICE in a row. One the the food will be great, next time the same order sucks.
Charles
2000 Chev. Silverado
HTT Coyote KZ20C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
tdiller wrote:
Eating out while traveling is one of those things that can be dangerous. I know of several road warriors who have gotten food poisoning. So I make it a rule to stick with the chains unless some local person has made a reccomendations .

Paranoid much?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's Smoothie now) https://greenann.com/recipe/strawberry-oat-smoothie/
Really Modern Food!)
Healthy and tasty)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Restaurants come and go all the time. Support the good ones.
I used to travel all the time, and learned to avoid places with quiet parking lots.
I am retired, so I like to take my girl out maybe once a week and get cleaned up and have someone else do the cooking. Good service means a lot. Then we go home to a clean house. NOthing better than a good restaurant, and nothing worse than a bad one.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Also, I'm a pretty good cook, so why would I go out to eat to get something like roast beef? I can make a good roast beef at home pretty easily. When I go out to eat, I want to eat something I either can't make at home, or would be a big pain to make at home (like good BBQ).

I've found that we can't eat out for a good quality meal for less than $50 including drinks anymore. Often it's closer to $75. So many people still expect a good meal for $10/plate or less. These days, even fast food can get near the $10/meal mark.

+1

+2

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
.... I also have learned over the years that you don't eat pizza on the east or west coast ....

I live up the road from New Haven, Connecticut... home of Pepe's pizza, Sally's, and Modern Pizza. Always the "top 10" lists of best pizza have them, usually they are in the top 5.

Having said that... if you are fan of thick and/or Greek style pizza I can see your point.