Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobility Scooter/power chair question

bigdaddy37
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks

Enjoying the RV lifestyle can be somewhat challenging when you have mobility issues. I am wondering how people manage these challenges by using mobility scooters or power chairs? Do you own one and take it with you (full-sized, foldable/take-apart), or do you rent them when you reach your destination?

If you own one and travel with it, how do you manage repairs or service? (batteries and tires wear out, or of you have a breakdown) Are you able to DIY, or can you get a tech to come out to where you are parked?
28' Kingman
2007 F350 FX4 Crew Cab
- bulletproof egr
- ARP headstuds
10 REPLIES 10

dedmiston
On second thought, I'm going to go ahead and put this thread to bed since the original conversation ran its course a few months ago. Feel free to start a new thread if new questions/comments arise.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Hi Folks - Just a reminder that For Sale and Wanted posts (and profile signatures) aren't allowed here. I'm sure this seems out of context, but this thread seems to lend itself to swap-meet posts and has required some cleanup a time or two.

Happy trails. 🙂

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

johnkent21
Explorer
Explorer
I used to hired a Home Care Medical Equipment Company. They used to come repair if my scooter had any issues. I didn't face any major breakdown as I used get the service done on regular basis.

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, My granny also use two scooters: a golden buzz and a Strider MIDI for the past 2 years. She is very happy with both. We bought it here after a lot of research. the first one has nice tires and lets you do some off-roading. Both are reasonably priced.
The Strider fits on a lift on the back of the car the Hummer is kinda big so I use the former on the road and the latter at home.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Mom had one for many years. Until my Dad started slowing down, it worked pretty well.

Not really much to break. The batteries would age out but it was a gradual process, so you could plan for replacment.

If we get into this position, I would look at a toy hauler, so you could just drive it in the back to avoid steps. (Might rig up a small ATV winch to raise/lower the door).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Golden Buzz Around EX scooter and Outlander electric lift for 3 or 4 wheel scooter. And a Swing Away for back access.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife as a mobility scooter. It is called a GoGo and will break down into the seat, the battery pack and then the chassis will break in the center (locking device)
We have hauled that one, or one very close, all over the nation. When she had some mobility in her legs and could assist me in getting into the DP we had, we just loaded it into the basement storage or put it in the back of a Honda Element we towed back then.
Now, we haul a folding wheelchair in the back of the Wrangler. We have a lift on the side of the MH that allows her to ride the scooter up on, then lift her and the scooter up to where they are able to ride into the coach.
The coach is a handicap accessible by Newmar (Canyon Star 3911) While it is a bit more trouble with the scooters and wheelchair, we still manage to get out and see the country a few trips a year. No more two month trips at our age but we still enjoy
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
they make scooter and chair lifts harmar and bruno are to company,s touch of the button loads unloads.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous 2001 RAV4 toad was given to us in 2002 in the last weeks of my sister-in-law's life. It was equipped with an electric hoist mounted inside the rear door for loading/unloading the scooter. I uninstalled the lift and passed it and the scooter along to a disabled vet. A local auto shop modified the hoist to fit his mini-van and did the installation for free.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 4 wheel scooter that weighs 160 lb, 2 batteries 24V, 120V charger. It easily disassembles into 6 parts (60 lbs max) with no fasteners. Locally we don't take the charger. Installed a 50' cord reel in the MH for charging.

No repairs to date. Tires are solid rubber so no concern. Batteries are standard type but not automotive related. Some mobility places may have mobile service but I'd just go to them and try to rent if there is going to be down time. Scooter should be reasonable rain proof IMHO.

Transport: Bought a manual scooter carrier for local travel with the car/toad and a cover as needed. Bought 2 14' folddable ramps for transport inside the car (SUV) for longer runs. Just need to lower the tiller and seat back, power it in/out. All strapped down.

The manual carrier got old after a while and now have an electric one that even automatically secures the scooter with no strap.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob