cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Messed up

hanford10
Explorer
Explorer
Went camping at coast/county park and paid for 2 nights. Filled out envelope and deposited in iron ranger. Went to play golf and left doormat, trash can and firewood plus tag on post. Came back 4 hours later and someone had moved my doormat and set up 26 foot trailer with ever jack/wheel chock tongue leveling device known to mankind. My buddy laughed (he was camped next to me) and we started fire in my old fir ring. I moved my RV to his spot and soon the host shows up and says "1 rv per space". I say he took my spot and then she says well you marked your ticket on the box with 2 (days I paid for) instead of dates (which the iron ranger tag had). I said did you look on your list of who paid as the campground takes internet reserves also . She said I don't have that info and the other camper said I left nothing to mark my space. My fault but there were 15 other spots within 25-150 ft. So they(squatter) came back as we drank beer and talked till 10 with no apology. I said he could stay and I moved 15 ft to the next spot. We were leaving in the morning and talked to the real ranger and he agreed with me that the host should have at least looked at site instead of taking his word that there was nothing marking the spot. I learned a lesson use my reading glasses and leave more stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
17 REPLIES 17

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
DanNJanice wrote:
We carry a small two person dome tent, for the rare times when we find ourselves in just this situation. We can put the tent up in about 5 minutes and it guarantees there is no "misunderstanding".

Best solution..a $10 tent from Walmart with a weight in it to keep it from blowing away

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The very first time we went camping with the trailer we were next to a classC MH. he mustve left while we were out, but they left some stuff behind. I knew what it meant without even knowing. its all just people being ignorant to common courtesy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orange cones may not work at some of the places I go. But, a tent set up in the parking spot so that it's in the way of someone else backing in there works for me. I also try to leave a lot of stuff behind so it looks like I've been camping there. Chairs, firewood, something setting on the picnic table , etc.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I set up an orange cone in the spot I paid for and left to get some work done on the coach. Came back to find someone in my spot and my cone no where in sight. The jerk had my cone in his storage bin. Best thing about the whole experience was my wife was dealing with the guy rather than me as I wanted to rip him and his RV apart.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I have to take my Motor home in for routing maintenance (Lube/Oil/Filters) next week... I'll be leaving a Car on site.

That's just asking for trouble... Someone's gonna think that car was left behind and not only take over your site but use your car... ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to take my Motor home in for routing maintenance (Lube/Oil/Filters) next week... I'll be leaving a Car on site.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Orange cones from the dollar store.

Thanks for reminding me to order another one - I can't find my previous collapsible cone. Amazon sells 'em for less than $10 and they take up so little space!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BizmarksMom wrote:
Door mats and chocks are easy for people to forget when they pack up and head home. Leftover firewood is commonly stacked and left for the next camper to enjoy. None of those items says "occupied" to anybody driving around the campground, looking for a site.

You need to make it obvious. An old tent, a few chairs, a sign, orange cones... Make it really obvious that the site is occupied and the majority of campers will respect that. Yes, there are some jerks who will throw your stuff in the bushes, but they are few and far between.
Have to agree that firewood and mats are left behind a lot and don't indicate a occupied site.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Door mats and chocks are easy for people to forget when they pack up and head home. Leftover firewood is commonly stacked and left for the next camper to enjoy. None of those items says "occupied" to anybody driving around the campground, looking for a site.

You need to make it obvious. An old tent, a few chairs, a sign, orange cones... Make it really obvious that the site is occupied and the majority of campers will respect that. Yes, there are some jerks who will throw your stuff in the bushes, but they are few and far between.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
When we secure a site but don't immediately occupy it, we have a camp site occupied sign that we place right in front of the reservation post, put our slip on the post, place a few things on the table and then use our cell phone and take a picture.

We have never had a problem but that picture will show the host, ranger, etc that we had marked our spot.
2004 Born Free class c

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
From hearing these stories, I have found that doormats, chocks, and such are not sufficient to "mark your space". Whether it's because they are flat and not really visible or what, they just don't say "occupied".

Trash bag and firewood - I would not really consider them as indicators of occupation at any time.

Seems chairs, tents, etc., set up for use (not just laying on the parking pad) are better indicators.

I have not had this problem (I don't usually drive away from my site), but if I did, I would make a simple "Occupied" sign and laminate it. Hang that on the post with the small envelope tag showing the dates on top of it. That will have "occupied" very visible and the official tag with dates available for closer inspection. Normally I reserve online for popular campgrounds so my site usually has the big tag on it that makes it easy to know it's taken.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Orange cones from the dollar store.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Before we started towing the Suzi, I made a sign using the graphic of a Bounder from the sales brochure, had it laminated and screwed to a stake. If we left our site with the intention of returning later, I would post it prominently in the site. The wording around the graphic was, "SITE OCCUPIED BY A BOUNDER".

On occasion I used the screws to affix the sign to the table or a pile of wood we had at the site.

It was never stolen and no one ever threw it in the bushes and took my spot, I know it could have happened but most folks are respectful and left it alone.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hanford10
Explorer
Explorer
Live and learn . I have also used old tent but have had stuff stolen (old lawn chair set right in middle of parking area) My buddies still laughs at the incident but I'll get him someway some somehow LOL. With metal thieves anything aluminum is gone. Sign of the times. I posted just in case he(squatter) reads this LOL We will meet again as this will be my fav campground as a few golf courses are nearby (3)