cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magellan GPS lifetime map updates

birdbert
Explorer
Explorer
We paid top dollar (299) in 2013 for a Magellan GPS with lifetime updates. The lifetime updates have never worked as advertised. I succeeded in updating the maps a few years ago after numerous email conversations with Magellan. Unfortunately, they do not provide a phone number so you can talk with a human. Now, trying to update the maps again, I have received their canned responses, and have done everything they suggest. I sent them photos of all the documentation they requested and after a week passed with no reply, I emailed them again to follow up. I got an email today that said too MUCH TIME had passed since my last communication (over 14 days) and I have to START OVER!

The reason I am posting this here is so other people that are considering Magellan will realize that lifetime updates mean nothing with this company which has terrible customer service.
2002 Adventurer 32V
Third Motorhome, first Winnebago
11 REPLIES 11

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 6-7 year old Garmin 3550LM still updates through our laptop just fine, whenever we want to, in about an hour. It's built-in memory holds the map database of all of North America plus nearly 700,000 custom Points of Interest that we have loaded from the POI Factory website.

It wasn't inexpensive, but quality usually isn't ... one just has to figure out how to pay for it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been down the many roads of the various brands as well. Finally broke down & bought a Garmin 770LMT. We update it twice a year, maybe. Takes forever but get it started & let it do its thing overnight.

Best thing is no more cursing from the naviguessers seat.

Now, if only we could get an update for the MS S&Ts.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Magellan has a long history of not supporting their products. They did it with aviation GPS, they did it with handhelds, and now it doesn't surprise me that they don't support their automotive products.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
rhochnadel wrote:
Magellan considers one year to be a lifetime, forget about getting updates.

I have the Garmin 760 and download before each long trip if a new qtr. as that's their time limit, once a qtr and it's no hassle.
Let's face it Garmin is the big gun in gps.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We used to have a lot of Magellan products but several years ago, it was obvious they were sinking fast. We moved on to DeLorme handhelds and Garmin vehicle GPS units at that time, then recently DeLorme was bought out by Garmin.

At this point, it appears Garmin is the only game in town.

I've never had an issue updating our older Nuvi GPS unit with current maps, though their memory management is less than desirable. Updates do not update only what is necessary, it's the whole package. After several updates, the internal memory will be exhausted. As these units come with a micro-SD card slot, plan to purchase a larger card - 32Gb or so, and that will greatly extend the update life.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I updated my Magellan GPS last year (life time updates)and had a problem after doing so. I was able to talk, by phone, with them and correct the problem. I don't have that number anymore but did find this one for customer service. 1-800-644-033. Havn't tried it so don't know if it really works.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
After not being able to update their set of maps, I finally sent an email to Magellan complaining about their "lifetime" maps stating that if the GPS is still working then the"life" of said unit hasn't expired. They stated that the life time maps are good only for 3 years when they expect the unit to be outdated. I am currently looking at a Garmin RV-770 LMT for my next unit.

David
David

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Magellan considers one year to be a lifetime, forget about getting updates.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Garmin products for a couple of decades, maybe more - I still own a functioning Garmin GPS III+ all the way up to GPS systems with rear view camera and a Dashcam. I've bought the entire US Topo Maps on DVD and had one get broken when it was over 10 years old. Garmin sent me a replacement with very little hassle.

My current GPS/rear view has been warning me about updates for the last three years and works perfectly...

You can't beat an established, quality product.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tom tom is about the same. they sent me an email last week saying they no longer provide up dates for my GPS unit. so much for lifetime free updates. their idea of life time and mine are two different things I guess

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, no GPS units are made in the US any more. They are disposable units, made to be purchased and them thrown away in order to buy another disposable unit. Wish you luck.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.