cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought that with the demographics and the active lifestyle I might ask here about this procedure.Seems that there may be a lot of senior members that have or had demanding physical jobs leading to back problems.I know 40 years of bouncing around in trucks did not do my back any favors.

My orthopedic surgeon wants to try this before cutting,which is all right by me! My MRI shows moderate impingement L5-L4
I have read some good things about this but I would like to ask anybody that has had this procedure how well it worked or not.

Thanks for any thing that may be of help.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
19 REPLIES 19

klaster79
Explorer
Explorer
It's great that your orthopedic surgeon is exploring non-invasive options before considering surgery for your moderate impingement at L5-L4. Considering the active lifestyle of many senior members here, it's possible some have experience with this procedure. I'd recommend sharing your specific concerns and condition with the community to gather more personalized insights on how well it worked for them.Also do not forget to buy all medicines at high-qualified pharmacy like Canadian Pharmacy.Always consult with your doctor and consider their advice along with the feedback you receive here. Wishing you a successful outcome!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry you had to bag your trip, good luck w round 2, and pls come back w an update.

Happy Thanksgiving!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I am back,after 3 weeks I have not seen much improvement in my pain. So now it looks like we will go for a second try,this time at the L5 location.This was discussed before as maybe the next step.I am good with that. My Dr. has been very good at explaining this all and I have hopes that this will do the job.I have an appointment for about 2 weeks and I will come back and report if anyone is interested....:B

I have waited up to the last minute to cancel my week long camping trip hoping that I would be better.This would have been the 11th year with this new camper. Looking forward to next year.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Buying A Rental Class C

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for getting back to us, appreciated.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello OP back here.I said I would come back and tell how it is going with my Lumbar Epidural.After a referral to the pain DR.and a consultation then the OK for the procedure to have Depo Medrol injected. So after about 6 weeks I had the procedure.

It went well and after 48 hours I have some small relief.the DR. said that it may be 1 to 2 weeks before the full effect is felt,we will see.
Buying A Rental Class C

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
DW has had the injections and radio ablation that toedtoes described in lumbar area. She had weeks of relief from the injections and months from the ablation. Right now, she's considering a procedure where spacers are glued into affected disc spaces (my interpretation of the procedure). This is minimally invasive and offers immediate relief with little recovery from the procedure and a more permanent solution.

Her physician is an anesthesiologist that specializes as a pain doc and done many of these procedures with good record of positive results.

Please keep us in the loop, I'm going through the same agony, L1-L5 discs pretty much pooched. North of the border we are still years behind in these types of operations.

dturm
DW has had the injections and radio ablation that toedtoes described in lumbar area. She had weeks of relief from the injections and months from the ablation. Right now, she's considering a procedure where spacers are glued into affected disc spaces (my interpretation of the procedure). This is minimally invasive and offers immediate relief with little recovery from the procedure and a more permanent solution.

Her physician is an anesthesiologist that specializes as a pain doc and done many of these procedures with good record of positive results.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

DanielDGranger
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Good advice from your surgeon to try the shots first. Depending on the cause of pain which MAY only be determined with a MRI the shots may work as a cure or for temporary relief. I did the shots and had to have them several times a year. Finally decided to get the surgery. Two inch (or less) incision cleaned out a cyst and calcium build up. Much better now. Good to know that surgeon suggest shots before cut.

Yes, you are right.

healthcare

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to thank all the Forum Members that responded here.I seems that from this it is mostly a good start and may get rid of this bad back pain and the pain in my right leg and foot and the limping around so I can get back to the RVing

I am going for it and right now I am waiting authorization from the insurance and the referral.

After I get that and the procedure I will come back and let you all know how it went and results.

Thank again.
Buying A Rental Class C

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
As a Chiropractor, I order about a dozen ESI'S a year. I could write paragraphs on this, but just to give you ideas.

1) Low back and leg pain have different cases, ESI's work better for some than other low back pain causes

2) literature says about 50% effective, I feel when combined with manipulation more like 75%

3) Doc is going to read the MRI, and make a judgement call on what he thinks the pain generator is and inject at that point. He/she will put you under a fluoroscope, and guide the needle placement to that specific part of your spine

4) If they hit the right spot, relief will be pretty quick. (Called guided image injection) If no relief, that too is of value, because it rules that area out as the pain generator. Remember they are making an educated guess as to what is causing the pain, and sometimes they are wrong. So that will help with 2nd shot placement, and or surgery

5) Many times, it will be enough to calm down the nerve, and the patient may have long term relief

6) I always refer to a neuroradiologist, that is what these folks do every day.
They tend to be better at it that most Orthopedic folks. And same for surgery a neurosurgeon is your best bet

Just to hazard a guess, from your MRI findings, sounds like you may have what's called lateral canal stenosis, super common finding. ESI's do pretty well with that, along with exercise, ergonomics, manipulation combined with it.

If it comes to surgery, you might consider (MISS) minimally invasive spine surgery. Which is more like a rotor rooter job, than full on surgery with sawing away stuff and putting in all the hardware.

Hope it all works out for you

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get the radio frequency nerve ablation in my neck. It is very effective for me. It basically shoots an electrical current into the nerve to temporarily "kill" it. Mine lasts about a year per procedure.

The main thing is that there are several possible options available for temporary pain relief that don't require surgery. The good is that you have an orthopedic surgeon willing to do surgery if this doesn'twork. That is the one thing I've seen go poorly with others - they get the shots, etc, which don't work, and are never referred to an orthopedic surgeon for surgery. They are just left to suffer the pain and the repeated "non-invasive" treatments that aren't helping.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
In the last 15-20 years I've had shots for 2 herniated discs in lower back. They gave me relief for a period of time but now I'm having nerve ablations done which give me better and longer relief. These are done as out patient in my doc's office under a local. A bit of discomfort but better than "going under."
Just realize that none of this cures the problem, just gives you some relief from the pain. At some point I'll need surgery but I'm trying to avoid that as long as the NA works.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I had shots. . . first time back in 2002. Got me pain free for about 9 months. Then pain came back. Fast forward to 2016, pain got so bad I was having trouble walking. Tried shots again. They were totally different from the first time. Did absolutely nothing. I inquired about the procedure I had years before. Nurse said she never heard of such a procedure. ????

Decided to have surgery. I had a condition known as spondylolisthesis. I now have two rods, 6 screws, 2 cages and 3 fusions with implants. Best thing I ever did for myself. After 46 years of pain and limping, I am painfree and the limp is fading. I can't feel any of that in my back.

I do know that most insurance companies will require the shots first, which is why I had them done the second time. I also read where a neurosurgeon is the best for the procedure because of nerves involved, etc.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all true its just a bandage, and if you have sugar? it,ll shoot up. takes few days for full effect to set in.