cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Wrangler ReadyBrake Elite II Setup

Y-Guy
So I finally pulled the trigger to get our 2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU ready to tow behind our 2007 Winnebago Sightseer motorhome. While nothing earth shattering I figured Iโ€™d share the setup. Parts listings and links are at the bottom of the post.

Started off getting new bumpers for the Jeep, both front and back; Rugged Ridge Spartan Front Bumper with High Clearance Ends and Overrider. I used the Rock Hard 4x4 Blue Ox Tow Bar Bracket Kit (RH-8000-BO) as the connection point for the tow bars. The Rock Hard bracket comes with its own bolts/nuts and replaces any bolts from the bumper. The bracket is only sandwiched against the bumper and attached to the frame. Installing the bumpers and the brackets was straightforward, just time consuming and spent a lot of time under the Jeep.

Next up was the tow bar; I went with the NSA Ready Brute Elite II Aluminum Tow Bar, plus the NSA Steel Clevis Connectors for Blue Ox, which connects to the Rock Hard brackets, plus the NSA ReadyStop RS-5000 Break Away Kit. The installation of the cables for the tow bar braking and the break away kit were probably the hardest and longest process of the whole setup. While the written directions are helpful, but you're best to seek out some videos to learn from. I found this series by WeRmudfun. While the entire tow bar setup is top notch, the ReadyStop still seems a bit of an afterthought. I hope I never need it, but happy I have it, just doesn't seem as polished.

For lighting I went with a set of magnetic ANC Lighthouse LED Tow Lights with a 7 Way Round Plug. These are very solid, heavy duty cabling and a strong magnetic hold. I went this way since it is a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and coming up on 10 years old I may want a newer one. Plus having the lighting setup is helpful for other times too.

Rugged Ridge Spartan Front Bumper
Rock Hard 4x4 Blue Ox Tow Bar Bracket
NSA Ready Brute Elite II Aluminum Tow Bar System
NSA Steel Clevis Connectors for Blue Ox
NSA ReadyStop RS-5000 Break Away Kit
ANC Lighthouse LED Tow Lights, 7 Way Round Plug

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
18 REPLIES 18

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update, and glad you got it straightened out. Hope you didn't scuff up the paint on your Jeep as bad as I did once many years ago, in learning that lesson about not laying wires across painted surfaces. ๐Ÿ™‚

We did the whole fishing wires through the frame, too, on our Jeep. That worked out really good, and made for a very clean installation. Went a lot easier than I thought it would. Good thing about Jeeps is, there is so much ground clearance underneath (even bone stock), crawling under it to do these things isn't that bad.

Now, we on to other mods. Just installed a backup camera on the Jeep (didn't have such from the factory), and put some grab handles on it. Have some mesh/sun screen tops on order, will get here tomorrow for upcoming trip to the beach. We ready to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

Still want to eventually replace the front bumper and possibly the back one with something more rugged.

I'm finding out just why JEEP stands for 'Just empty every pocket'. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Y-Guy
I wanted to come back and update this thread. After a couple trips with the magnetic light I saw what willald was talking about. I decided to order the CoolTech JK Tow Harness Kit (not the deluxe though). I then ordered Hopkins 47043 Flex-Coil Nite Glow 7 Blade to 4 Round Adapter

Installation was pretty straight forward as far as running the wires, I did run the wire through the frame using a fish wire which made for a very clean looking install. That was the easy part. I setup as per the directions and hooked up *fail* it was like Christmas lights flashing but not the right ones. I ended up scrapping the wiring hook connections for the 4 pin on the Jeep side and instead matched those up to what the Motorhome was sending out - everything worked. I've since read that others had the same issue.

Bottom line is it works and it's seemless now. I will be selling the magnetic lights as a friend needs them when towing.

Y-Guy
Figured I'd follow up with our after trip report. All went very smooth, I was very conscious of having the Jeep behind me. I am used to towing as we've had a 4 place ATV trailer and a boat that I've towed behind, but for some reason having the Jeep back there made me more nervous. As somebody told me after the first trip you'll get a lot more relaxed and that was true. Keeping an eye out on the other idiots on the road and really having a plan for stops wasn't new, but it's been a few years since I had to think far ahead.

We generally fuel up at Costco, thankfully I've been to most on our route and knew the Costco Gas in Albany OR was better then Eugene or Salem. Our first camping spot in Eugene Armitage Park went perfect as did our week at Sea Perch in Yachats. The hosts at Sea Perch we're helping in letting me know where to turn into to disconnect. Our last stay at Detroit Lake, OR was a bit of a challenge but we made it work, should have stopped outside the CG to disconnect, we did our connecting there on the way out as it's flat.

The magnetic lights worked okay but users here wwere right about the rubbing. I plan to order the CoolTech JK Tow Harness Deluxe Tow Kit my mistake was I had pulled up the new JL harness and that just looks like a nightmare to install.

Next step is writing out a check list and laminating it so wife can help and we can both make sure we do it right.

Now a question. First time we stopped the pin was as seen in this photo, trying to get things loosened up was a pain. I was also concerned that so much force was riding on the clip. So after that I swapped the head so the clip is on the outside. I don't find any right or wrong way of doing this so checking to see if it matters or not. Thoughts?

Y-Guy
I added some insulation to help, still going to look at other options concerned about dirt getting in between.

Y-Guy
Alan_Hepburn, thank you that is helpful I'll check it out tonight when set everything up again. Much appreciated!

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy - I ran the wires through the passenger front door about where the window frame causes the door angle to change. It looks like the gasket is a bit thicker at that point and it works well. Never had an issue with wires getting crushed or broken.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Y-Guy
Alan_Hepburn, Thank you! I had tested it through the tailgate, and plan to do tha ton our upcoming trip. I need to look at the hood option. How did you run through the door? Window? On this trip I'm taking the Bikini top. Need to fish around a bit tonight.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
When I used the magnetic lights on our Wrangler I ran the wire into the interior, through the passenger-side front door, then out through the rear tailgate. So the only wire exposed to wind buffeting was along the side of the hood. You could also run the wire under the hood if you want to take the trouble of lifting the hood. The weatherstripping on the front door and the rear tailgate glass is pliable enough to allow the wire to pass through without damage.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Y-Guy
willald, thanks after another comment I was going to see how I might be able to run this or I may look at a "pool noodle" along the edge of the hood. Thank you though, I appreciate it.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks awesome, and great choice on the Readybrake, and magnetic lights.

Only one thing I'd caution you on: Be very, very careful, with the wire you have running back that goes against the side of the Jeep, I guess for the magnetic lights. Watch it closely the first trip or two, and be thinking about another way to route that wire. You may have to.

I learned this the hard way many years ago on our first trip using magnetic lights and running a wire across the hood and top of car to the lights in the back. Learned, that wires laying across bare, painted outside surfaces of a car is a very, very BAD idea. The wire vibrated, shook, etc. in the wind going down the road, and left horrible scuff marks in the paint all along the path it took along the hood and top of the car. Spent a lot of time and $$ trying to buff out those scratches, don't think I ever did get them out completely.

Ever since then, I've found ways to keep all wiring underneath the car, and off of all painted surfaces.

Yours may be OK since you ran it across the side and not the top like I did, but I'd watch it very closely the first trip to be sure.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Y-Guy
IB853347201, I may wish I had, just so many mixed reports on them I decided to hold off. Thanks for your input!

bob_nestor Thanks! I think they were out of stock but looks like they are back, this one is really just plug & play no cutting harness or diodes right?

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did the same with my 2011 2dr Wrangler (same color too), but in addition I installed a CoolTech wire harness. That allowed me to use the Jeep's brake, turn and clearance lights running off my RV. I did also install a battery cutoff in the Jeep, but was told by a Jeep Engineer that wasn't necessary for the 2011.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Nice set up although personally I would have gone with wireless tow lights to avoid all the extra cables running from the MH to the tail lights. in my experience, the cables rub on the paint which leaves scuff marks.
2010 Suncruiser

Y-Guy
Thanks Alan. I may opt at some point to get the Jeep lights working, temps here have been around 100ยฐ and least time working in that heat the better right now. ๐Ÿ˜„ but plug in and play would be nice.