Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Grand Cherokee W/Towing Package IV

Nathanbates114
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
My wife and I are looking into buying our first travel trailer. Just looking for some advice as we have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the stock IV towing package. It includes Road Leveling Suspension, HD Cooling and has a maximum towing capacity of 6200 pounds. We are looking into a 2021 or 2022 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 221RB with a dry weight of 5,389 pounds. It would be just us 2 traveling and we would make sure that the cargo weight inside the Jeep and inside the trailer is under the limit as we plan on towing it dry. As long as we get a brake controller and a nice weight distribution hitch, we should be good even if it's pushing around 6000 pounds? It would be for traveling nursing for my wife, so we would only be driving to and from her job every 3-6 months a year. Just wanted some advice before we make a big purchase and regret it later. Our Jeep also has a mopar million mile warranty and the dealer stated that the engine would still be covered as long as we don't go over the maximum weight. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Nathanbates114
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderingaimlessly!
Thank you for sending me the info on the Apex! I feel like my wife and I have been looking at all the super light travel trailers and we hadn't seen that one! It's a perfect size and just about everything we've been trying to find in a small TT. I think that's the one unless you have anymore recommendations? We like the layout and we need the bedoom somewhat away from everything (or a door that closes) because my wife works nights and I don't want to wake her. Thanks again

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer is starting out at 5400, now add
100 for the WDH
50 for a single battery
70 for 2 20 lb propane tanks
Your over 5600 before putting anything in the unit.
If you really want a trailer around that size, maybe one like this would work Coachmen Nano
loaded weight of 6000, empty under 4000, and still has decent living space.
I too have a Jeep GC, this is the one I was considering.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Take the dry weight and 1200lbs to that. That will give you a realistic ready to travel weight. This will get you as close as possible without being able to actually weigh the trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same Jeep as you, and while I tow my '16 Flagstaff with it a lot, I would never consider a TT as heavy or as long as you are looking at. I come in at just over 5,000# loaded for boondocking, and am only 21 1/2' long. Lighter weight if I am sure I'll be in a campground over night.
You only have 114" wheelbase, tow capacity of 6200# with the V6. The V8 gives you 7200# towing, but is still too short.
Look for a smaller trailer or a truck to pull the bigger one with.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weight is but one factor, length of nearly 27' is something to consider with the wheelbase of your tow vehicle. It is your call and being that you are only towing it every few months, might be doable for a few tows before it is apparent a heftier tow vehicle is required. You could pack light if you were doing weekends, but for fulltime living it will make it all that more difficult to keep weight down.

Something that can become an issue down the road is overall space is tight, you might consider a bigger TT sooner than later, particularly if you eventually end up getting a stouter tow vehicle. It would serve you better to get it right, many new players in this lifestyle will purchase several RVs in 5 years, which dealers love to say the least. Grand Design makes a good RV and customer service is known to resolve issues quickly.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are being wildly optimistic. Not saying you can't keep it under 6k, just not realistic out in the real world.

Look for a trailer with a 6000lb GVWR (not empty weight). Keep in mind battery, water & propane aren't part of the empty weight. That can easily eat up 300-400lb, you only have 200lb of gear, food & clothes in the trailer if you want to stay under 6k with you proposed trailer...and as mentioned, they often come from the factory over the empty weight.

PS: what is the payload sticker on the door jamb say? a trailer at 6000lb, you should have around 800lb on the hitch plus whatever the family weighs plus any bolt on items like running boards plus whatever gear is in the back. Did a quick check and depending on the specifics, you may have as little as 1200lb payload...check your door jamb for the specifics of your truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welcome>
Some considerations:
Edit: Seems I was mistaken, and you do or may have the V6.

I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer that size with that vehicle.

Except maybe flatlands, low altitude and good weather.
If it had the diesel or any of the Hemis, I'd still only want to tow in in good weather (not too windy).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that many units leave the Factory well above those brochure dry weights. So you could end up with a unit a few hundred pounds heavier, then once you add batteries, propane, pots, pans, dishes and other day to day items could easily go over your max towing capacity.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint