cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's a dry heat

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how many times I've heard that from you Folks in and within a 600 miles of Death Valley.
My Uncle's family lived for a while in toast Az without air conditioning.
Told of taking a cakes out of the oven, or off a rock and right into the refrigerator before they dried out.
Well it is a balmy 96 today here.
So some advice for my Relatives and other Folks in the Southwest.
Don't put lotion on and go into the 125 degree heat to roof a house.
looks good on fried chicken but not so much on humans.
Don't need to dry the clothes, just walk outside and fling them around a bit or wear them for a few minutes, really.
Let's see....uh oh I've misplaced my list. Carry on.
52 REPLIES 52

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
-30 below zero is redundant.

It's not redundant...it's 2 degrees below freezing. Not that bad really.:W

Unless you are doing some sort of funky math, -30 is either 30 degrees below freezing (using Celsius) or 62 degrees below freezing (using Fahrenheit).

If it was just 30 degrees, then it could be just 2 degrees below freezing if using Fahrenheit, or 30 degrees above freezing if using Celsius.

In any case, the temps in the southwest are plenty hot right now.

"-30 below zero" is a double negative, which equals positive 30 (just 2 degrees below 32). It's either -30, OR 30 below zero, not both.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
But when I lived in Manitoba and it was -40, everyone would tell me "but it is so nice and sunny and bright!". No, it was too f'ing COLD!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you that are sitting around in 120 deg heat!
This is what we do when it gets cool out!

The sun may be out, but it was -10F when I took the picture. we were comfortable!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when I first moved to the desert.

May 30th:
Just moved to the desert. Now this is a place that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I. watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful.
I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshiper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Morgan (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $2,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and *****. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And
it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is not working and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500 in
**** house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today.
It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid place.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass asks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to strangle him. **** heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and sat on
the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and arse.

Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.

Aug. 10th:
The weather report might as well be a **** recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for 2 **** months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
Doesn't it ever rain in this **** desert? Water rationing now, so my $1700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the **** pool. Even the cactus can't live in this **** heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the **** windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Freaking desert. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here? :S
RVing since 1995.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I'm the odd one. I have lived most of my life on the Texas Gulf Coast. We returned from a two week trip to Az and Ut last week and I must say living in an oven is not for me. Sedona was like sticking your head in an oven. My lips and nose are still chapped from it. I'll take the humidity any day.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
I/we for one do not feel a tiny bit sorry for the people living or being in the SW/W USA with having over 100 to even 130 degrees F temperatures because they are constantly making snide rude comments to the people living in the north and having a couple days of zero F or below at night in deep winter in some locations. Bake people bake! Payback are he-ll aren't they? You make or made the decision to live in an oven, so tough bananas! Enjoy being cooped up inside with the A/C blasting away and we certainly wouldn't be anywhere where the outside temps even reached 90+ and is why we live where we do and sure wouldn't move away! We'll just have to put up with our 80 F daytime highs and 60 F lows at night averages and "bear" it.
Thanks for the laugh!

This is a whole lot more mean spirited than any post I've seen in the winter. People were commenting on the heat - not complaining. You might want to think about how dangerous the heat would be for someone breaking down in the desert.

You beat me to it. I thought it was a mean post also.
Looking at the ever increasing population numbers, plenty of us "choose" to live in the heat in Arizona for example, because we love it here. And we don't complain. It's a couple of months each year. We cope. lol
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
-30 below zero is redundant.

It's not redundant...it's 2 degrees below freezing. Not that bad really.:W

Unless you are doing some sort of funky math, -30 is either 30 degrees below freezing (using Celsius) or 62 degrees below freezing (using Fahrenheit).

If it was just 30 degrees, then it could be just 2 degrees below freezing if using Fahrenheit, or 30 degrees above freezing if using Celsius.

In any case, the temps in the southwest are plenty hot right now.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
KrowNB wrote:
romore wrote:
Damp heat, dry heat, argue all you want. It is still too friggin hot. I worked in northern California where it was 100 degrees by 11am, 115+ in the afternoon. I have also experienced below -40, I don't know which is worse.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and used to it, but I'd take a deep freeze over extreme heat any day. No matter how cold it gets, you can dress for it.
I'm with you. You can going skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, play pond hockey, all kinds of things when it's cold out. You can't do anything when it's hot out but sit inside.

I'm with you both. I'll take the cold any day. As a side note, my 5th grade teacher once asked us if we'd rather die from the heat or from the cold. Most everyone in class said "the heat". He explained that in the cold, you just fall asleep. But in the heat, you spend your last hours in agony.
I feel the opposite. No matter how much clothes I put on, I just hate the cold; it gets into my bones and I can't get warm. But the (dry) heat? Love it. Yes, I can enjoy the indoors A/C, but I can also go swimming, boating, jet-skiing...105-110 is perfect summer weather as far as I'm concerned!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Since I have a RV I don't have to make a choice, I can choose my climate.
Say than when boondocking. How much gas do you have for the genny?
The built in tank in the 5er has 40 gallons of gas. Over 100 gallons of water. The 17' TT has 32 gallons of gas for the Onan and over 100 gallons of water.

The point was to go where it's cool of a summer and warm during the winter.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Say than when boondocking. How much gas do you have for the genny?

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
"Dry heat?"

95, feels like 110 due to humidity is still better than 127, feels like 127.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
kerrlakeroo wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
kerrlakeroo wrote:
Worst I can remember was when I got transferred to St Louis. I arrived around the 10th of July to about 40 days in a row of high temps near 100 with 90% humidity
And come January we had over a month that it never got warmer than the 20's with 30-40 mph winds on the river,

Misery

is the right name for that place.

A little of topic but when I was in Missouri my GPS would pronounce Missouri....Misery!! :B

I was a petty officer in the Coast Guard back then and transferred often. Slinging bouys on the western rivers up there was miserable. In most parts of the country you get either a mild summer or winter, There both were horrible, at least in 1983 and 84.

And yes, your GPS knew something.
Wimps. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
KrowNB and wing_zealot got it right in their posts. Winter in the north is beautiful and with endless things to do outside. When it's HOT in summer in the south and west, about all you can do is hide inside in blasting air conditioning or you are so miserable. Used to go to the Phoenix test track even in summer and it was horrible just going from an air conditioned vehicle to an air conditioned building. Dry heat not hot? BS!

Hot is hot and over 100 F is just plain hot. Yes, wet heat feels worse at the same temps but rarely does it get much over 100 F in Florida, but you'll almost instantly turn into a ball of sweat when you get out of an air conditioned vehicle or building because of the high humidity. Often, even at 90 to 95 F. An area that's over 85 F is a great place to be from. Far away from, that is!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT