cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a safe and convenient method to flush the tanks

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
In August, I'm picking up a new coach and the water compartment looks like this:

https://flic.kr/p/nwvJdQ

Here's a closeup:

https://flic.kr/p/nP1qrv

The safe way:
Disconnect the coach completely from the city water supply. Use a separate dedicated hose to hook up to the city water supply and connect the other end to the gray and black flush. Disconnect everything and move on to the next campground when done. This would virtually eliminate any chance of contaminating my coach's water supply since the flushes will never be connected to my coach, but it's not convenient.

The convenient way:
Hook up a valve splitter to the coach's spigot and connect a small hose from the spigot to the flush port. This is super convenient because I can leave everything connected and just turn on the spigot whenever I want to flush my tanks, but it's potentially not safe.

My question to the forum is this, is there a safe and convenient way to do this? Maybe a quick disconnect and a better backflow preventer?

--Paul
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
10 REPLIES 10

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Your rig has back-flow prevention devices. If you still are concerned, buy one of these and attach it to a "Y", use a separate hose and relax.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
Wow: glad that isn't mine. Aside from the header that allows you to shut off any individual faucet in case of service for a leak why would you need something that confusing? And most likely you can't add water to the tank by bucket if you need to. I have had to many times. No thanks, just an engineer needing work or get a layoff.

There are lots of RV's of all types without gravity fills, I have had two, no big deal.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
Wow: glad that isn't mine. Aside from the header that allows you to shut off any individual faucet in case of service for a leak why would you need something that confusing? And most likely you can't add water to the tank by bucket if you need to. I have had to many times. No thanks, just an engineer needing work or get a layoff.

I'm not getting the macerator. So take that out and that also removes the switch. It's not so confusing after that.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen anything like that since the movie "RV" w/ Robin Williams.

holstein13 wrote:
In August, I'm picking up a new coach and the water compartment looks like this:

https://flic.kr/p/nwvJdQ

Here's a closeup:

https://flic.kr/p/nP1qrv

The safe way:
Disconnect the coach completely from the city water supply. Use a separate dedicated hose to hook up to the city water supply and connect the other end to the gray and black flush. Disconnect everything and move on to the next campground when done. This would virtually eliminate any chance of contaminating my coach's water supply since the flushes will never be connected to my coach, but it's not convenient.

The convenient way:
Hook up a valve splitter to the coach's spigot and connect a small hose from the spigot to the flush port. This is super convenient because I can leave everything connected and just turn on the spigot whenever I want to flush my tanks, but it's potentially not safe.

My question to the forum is this, is there a safe and convenient way to do this? Maybe a quick disconnect and a better backflow preventer?

--Paul
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a better backflow preventer:

Watts RPZ Backflow Preventer

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Also, keep in mind that you tank flush systems all have check valve/anti-siphon/back flow preventers....(or whatever you call them.)

These 'should' prevent contaminated water from flowing back into your hoses.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Y connector to attach at the spigot. Leave your regular FW hose hooked up. If you're really paranoid, each side of the Y has its own shutoff so you can shutoff the FW to the coach but leave it connected. Attach a separate black or green hose to the other side of the Y, then the rinse connection. Open 'er up and rinse away.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a picture either but have to ask, Is doing the job the "safe" way really that difficult?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not seeing any pictures.