cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you had a month...?

dedmiston
My wife and I have found ourselves in the unique (for us) situation of having the month of September free. Unbelievably, we have the time and the means to hit the road for roughly a month. We don't have firm boundaries on either end, so it could possibly stretch into five weeks.

So my question is...

If you had a month to wander throughout North America (USA and/or Canada), where would you go and what would you do?

Requirements:

* The start/end points are Southern California
* The goals are to see national parks, amusement parks, and things one doesn't see every day.
* We can't leave before 8/29 or return after 10/5.
* We're pulling a 44' fifth-wheel toy hauler. We're intrepid, but not stupid. We have made it into some tight places to get a beautiful spot, but I'd rather have a nice wide camp to pull into.
* We dry camp probably 80% of the time, so hookups are a welcome novelty for us. We love the freedom of boondocking though.
* We are fairly active and pre-retirement age.

So if life gifted you with 4-5 weeks with your lovely spouse and a couple of dogs, where would you go and what would you do?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
36 REPLIES 36

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
Well the possiblies are incredible. Coming from Socal you could hit Glacier National park, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and throw in Mount Rushmore or Grand Canyon or any of the 5 National parks in Utah

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d recommend not trying to see too much. Pick an area, Oregon and Washington for instance. A month would cover a bunch at a comfortable pace.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
Mfan wrote:
I think cedar point only operates on the weekends after labor day

Good to know. Thanks.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I think cedar point only operates on the weekends after labor day

dedmiston
azdryheat wrote:
The sky is really the limit. So many places to see, so many places to go. So many directions in which to go. What are you putting in your garage? RZR? Harley? Nothing?

My wife and I are beach people, she from Hawaii and me from So Cal. Yet we've been desert bound for decades. We've been all over the US and our favorite spot to visit for a month would be Chula Vista RV on Sand Diego Bay with daily trips to the beach on Coronado. We've been going there for several years and were just there last week. Have friends that spend 1 to 3 months at that park. That is where we would want to spend a month.

No toys for this trip except for a couple of bicycles. That will be my remote office for the few days that I might need to work.

We're pretty close to the beach, so we'll probably head the other direction(s).

One of the places we'd like to see is Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, OH.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i'd make a beeline for the black hills. the hills in september are fabulous.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The sky is really the limit. So many places to see, so many places to go. So many directions in which to go. What are you putting in your garage? RZR? Harley? Nothing?

My wife and I are beach people, she from Hawaii and me from So Cal. Yet we've been desert bound for decades. We've been all over the US and our favorite spot to visit for a month would be Chula Vista RV on Sand Diego Bay with daily trips to the beach on Coronado. We've been going there for several years and were just there last week. Have friends that spend 1 to 3 months at that park. That is where we would want to spend a month if we didn't have other obligations.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE