cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Husband/wife Audio of Parking our 44' toy hauler

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Would you post your and your partner's back and forth audio of parking your camper/motorhome? I got a new dashcam and it's been my favorite recent toy. While reviewing videos, I realized it captured just what I said: the audio of my wife and I backing our trailer at the last couple of spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMURplDONl0

We got to Treasure Isle RV Park in Hot Springs, AR on Saturday of Labor Day. They had forgotten my reservation and assigned our spot to someone else. Office was closed, but over the phone they moved us into a different pull-thru spot, but right as we were getting out to start unhitching, they rolled up and sheepishly admitted, that spot was also taken.

They upgraded us to a lake front spot for no additional charge but warned us that it was a back-in. It was more narrow than their pull-thrus, but had a great back yard. Fortunately, my wife and I have gotten pretty decent at backing in.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
25 REPLIES 25

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Nice job. I think you two have that down good.

Thanks for the kind words.

We visited with my cousin and they put in a 30amp receptacle for us. But to get to their house, we had to back down the cul de sac; nice wide road, though.

We got back and parked and I jokingly asked my cousin's husband how we did? He said, "fine but you drive like grandmas." Slow and steady it is for us.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
Would you post your and your partner's back and forth audio of parking your camper/motorhome? I got a new dashcam and it's been my favorite recent toy. While reviewing videos, I realized it captured just what I said: the audio of my wife and I backing our trailer at the last couple of spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMURplDONl0

We got to Treasure Isle RV Park in Hot Springs, AR on Saturday of Labor Day. They had forgotten my reservation and assigned our spot to someone else. Office was closed, but over the phone they moved us into a different pull-thru spot, but right as we were getting out to start unhitching, they rolled up and sheepishly admitted, that spot was also taken.

They upgraded us to a lake front spot for no additional charge but warned us that it was a back-in. It was more narrow than their pull-thrus, but had a great back yard. Fortunately, my wife and I have gotten pretty decent at backing in.

Nice job. I think you two have that down good.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I prefer to just do it myself.

But then who can you blame if you screw up??? :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I found it easier to just do it my self.

Amen!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I prefer to just do it myself. My wife, bless her heart, panics every time I get within 10 feet of anything and yells STOP.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
I like the twirling of both hands in the mirror telling you which way to โ€œturn your wheelsโ€ when your tow vehicle is no where near an obstacle the driver canโ€™t see.

Ha. My father-in-law twirls his finger like Iโ€™m supposed to know what it means. I usually just turn the wheel one way and see if he reacts positively or negatively. And then I start looking for my wife...

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I get the hands held apart and then slapped together all at once too...

Ah, there's 2 of us.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get the hands held apart and then slapped together all at once too...

But, generally the communication is friendly and adequate for me. One site tho, I must have tried to back it up 5 or 6 times before I finally got out of the truck to see what she was trying to tell me. The site was actually angled relative to the road. I'm trying make the trailer perpendicular to the road, she was trying to make it parallel to the site. Best part of that day, after we finally get the trailer set in place, go to plug it in, the post is dead ๐Ÿ˜ž

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Can't-we used to get a little, ummm, saucy shall we say! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the twirling of both hands in the mirror telling you which way to โ€œturn your wheelsโ€ when your tow vehicle is no where near an obstacle the driver canโ€™t see.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
We decide where we want it, and I back it in. Wife watches, and intervenes if I'm going to hit something. Usually takes only a couple of minutes.

I'm sure we disappoint the peanut gallery with our lack of drama.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
My wife, however does an amazing job spotting for me. She parks the trailer by voice and I just try to make the truck/trailer do it. Weโ€™ve learned a lot over the years in our communication with each other.

Same here actually - we're getting better at it. My comment was just that compared to the lack of conflict with the original poster, We've had troubles.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Back up cameras can save relationships. Just Sayin....

I think this rig came with one, but parts were lost at the dealership. I finally got the monitor months later but it still doesn't work. I gave up on it. (shrug)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
I found it easier to just do it my self.

For the most part I agree. Having another set of eyes can be beneficial, however their tends to be less grief when I do it solo.
Solo is my preferred method for most sites.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide