cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How not to drive a motorhome

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I understand some snowbirds are in a hurry to get to their destination,but lets do it safely,,NOT like this nut..

https://youtu.be/pGMOj58Bpt4
109 REPLIES 109

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Not defending either driver, just responding to the comment about being able to pull over.

There are a few two-lane highways in Arizona where it is dangerous to pull off the road at any speed, and these roads rarely have emergency lanes. I once had to drag a short trailer with a blowout about a mile down 93 before I could find a place to pull off. People coming back from Vegas were piling up behind me, but I had no choice. Totally destroyed the tire in the process. If you've been on this road, you know what I'm talking about.

Judging from the video, there was no emergency lane, and the edges were very sandy. I would not pull my 25 foot toyhauler off into this for any reason. Okay, well maybe...

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
wnjj wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
Besides, the speed limit, 55 or whatever it was, is the maximum speed allowed, it doesn't mean you have to go that speed. I have to remind myself of that when I'm aggravated by someone in front of me going under the limit.

Actually, if someone is behind you, you do have to go the limit so long as it's safe to do so. It's called impeding traffic if you are not.

At least in Ohio the maximum a minimum speed can be set at is 50mph, since he was traveling at 55mph there is no way he could have received a ticket for impeding traffic in Ohio. In Arizona you are required to pull over if 5 or more vehicles are queued behind you but that does not appear to apply here so again, no possibility of being found guilty of impeding traffic (and even when you are required to pull over you are only required to do so at a designated turn out or where safe to do so, not onto soft sand).

I was replying to GWolfe's specific comment about not having to go the speed limit, not necessarily to this video.

In this video situation we don't know about if the 5 vehicle rule applies here since we have no clue how many are behind the class C. It may well apply to the first guy in the caravan if they weren't maintaining the speed limit and had 5 or more behind. Obviously the sand is firm enough to pull on to since they did just that.

Regardless of right or wrong, good drivers will do whatever they can to avoid becoming a consequence of other drivers' poor decisions. "Stand your ground" with your "rights" is a dangerous game on the highway. This goes for both parties involved in the video.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
navegator wrote:
If you watch the video carefully the idiot filming does not begin to slow down until the passing idiot slows down and the filming idiot still keeps the speed up, he even claims that he will not slow down lower than 45 mph, this looks to me as a staged video, only a pair of complete idiot morons would do such an idiotic and dangerous maneuver, idiot filming seems to have other videos that are this type of stupid incidents.

If you see someone passing vehicles behind you and is hell bent on overtaking you make evey effort to let him pass and not be a statistic of an idiot DOA together with the inocent victims of your stupidity.

I would give both a big fat ticket and recind the driving privileges of both!

navegator

Luckily we have laws and not your personal opinion and it does not appear that the driver of the class C was in violation of any laws, let alone any that would carry the penalty of license termination.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
GWolfe wrote:
Besides, the speed limit, 55 or whatever it was, is the maximum speed allowed, it doesn't mean you have to go that speed. I have to remind myself of that when I'm aggravated by someone in front of me going under the limit.

Actually, if someone is behind you, you do have to go the limit so long as it's safe to do so. It's called impeding traffic if you are not.

At least in Ohio the maximum a minimum speed can be set at is 50mph, since he was traveling at 55mph there is no way he could have received a ticket for impeding traffic in Ohio. In Arizona you are required to pull over if 5 or more vehicles are queued behind you but that does not appear to apply here so again, no possibility of being found guilty of impeding traffic (and even when you are required to pull over you are only required to do so at a designated turn out or where safe to do so, not onto soft sand).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
If you watch the video carefully the idiot filming does not begin to slow down until the passing idiot slows down and the filming idiot still keeps the speed up, he even claims that he will not slow down lower than 45 mph, this looks to me as a staged video, only a pair of complete idiot morons would do such an idiotic and dangerous maneuver, idiot filming seems to have other videos that are this type of stupid incidents.

If you see someone passing vehicles behind you and is hell bent on overtaking you make evey effort to let him pass and not be a statistic of an idiot DOA together with the inocent victims of your stupidity.

I would give both a big fat ticket and recind the driving privileges of both!

navegator

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
One of the tidbits I got from a driving instructor applies here.

"Right of way is something you're given, not something you take."
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
I don't see how there can be much blame put on the C driver, he braked when the A was passing, it just happened to be at the same time the A braked. As far as the pulling off the road for dramatic effect, he said he pulled off the road to calm his nerves, I can understand that.

He says a lot of things, you have to know his history. This group makes money from ebegging and youtube views and patrion which I think he's been booted from. The more drama the better. He took a situation and is trying to cash in, thats what he does.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
GWolfe wrote:

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I blame both drivers for creating a dangerous situation for everyone involved. Yes, the Class A was driving insanely and deserves the brunt of blame, however, I tend to apply maritime rules where both parties are obligated to do what they can to avoid a collision, regardless of any rule "infractions".

Had I been in this situation - and I have, I would have backed off and let the guy in. Yeah, I'd of been cussing him for miles and looking for him at the next fuel stop, but I'd still be alive to do it.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother's truck was reported driving like that......the driver still hasn't returned it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how there can be much blame put on the C driver, he braked when the A was passing, it just happened to be at the same time the A braked. As far as the pulling off the road for dramatic effect, he said he pulled off the road to calm his nerves, I can understand that.

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Here is another video of them having trouble with passing Class A. Makes one wonder if this group just has bad luck, or if they are a traffic hazard with their Class C rolling roadblock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y-JhLaw7hM

I believe that is the same incident recorded by a different person.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

MrWizard
The class C driver, the passee was not the first in line of the caravan, and was not setting the Pace
He was following in line at a safe distance
The class A driver had room between vehicles, to get in after passing
What he did not have was time to get in place because of miss judging the on coming traffic, he was passing and weaving in and out , driving like he was in his toad, did not have the acceleration capability in the dp, to be driving that way
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
But I fully expected when reading the first post for the perfect driver contingent to come out in full force and blame the passee instead of the passer......especially since a class A was doing the passing. Typical forum nonsense.

I am still searching for the fencepost that borne me LOL.

I didnโ€™t see anyone blaming the passee instead of the passer. We were possibly blaming the passee in addition to the passer, with the passer holding most of the blame. Even then it was done with speculation since none of us has as of the facts. Everything is not as it seems, espceically on over-dramatic YouTube videos.

This victim may well have driven past dozens of pullouts while impeding traffic or as others assume could have been innocently minding his own business doing nothing wrong. Either way the passer took the risk and responsibility but in the first case the passee was a contributor to his own issue. When itโ€™s happened multiple times to the same guy, Iโ€™m more likely to vote for the first one.

Be safe out there and try to stay out of other peopleโ€™s accidents. ๐Ÿ˜‰