cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how much propane in tank?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, getting ready to go on a trip. Can't remember how long present tank has been used. Will be running frig on propane so don't want to run out of gas

So the dumb question of the day is: Is there a method to Estimate how much propane is left in a tank without removing it?

I have seen something about a stick on gauge. Don't have one, no time to order. Also, remember something about condensation showing level on outside but search did not find that.

Don't need exact amount. We always have an extra tank just in case. Just don't want to run out in middle of the night while at my daughter's house for a few days.
45 REPLIES 45

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
This will not help you now but in the future may be very helpful.

I have a set in my trailer and also use one on my home barbecue.

That way I know if there is enough to do the steaks this evening.

Propane level checker

x2 on these. i have a pair for my 2 tanks. pull out my iphone and check.. 6 months of use i like them. pricey but long term investment

if its bluetooth.. Why so few phone models listed ?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
This will not help you now but in the future may be very helpful.

I have a set in my trailer and also use one on my home barbecue.

That way I know if there is enough to do the steaks this evening.

Propane level checker

x2 on these. i have a pair for my 2 tanks. pull out my iphone and check.. 6 months of use i like them. pricey but long term investment

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stefonius wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Not with my 5th wheel. It's a real pain, almost literally, to get the tanks out to fill, let alone just to weigh.
I feel your pain. I can't for the life of me figure out why the propane compartment door couldn't have been made just one inch taller. The tank literally cannot come out vertically. It has to be rocked back on one edge and pulled out diagonally, with the break in the top ring centered over the top of the compartment door.
That sounds like mine. I'm going to try the Dometic jobby and see how it works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Not with my 5th wheel. It's a real pain, almost literally, to get the tanks out to fill, let alone just to weigh.
I feel your pain. I can't for the life of me figure out why the propane compartment door couldn't have been made just one inch taller. The tank literally cannot come out vertically. It has to be rocked back on one edge and pulled out diagonally, with the break in the top ring centered over the top of the compartment door.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I use a simple handheld baggage scale to weigh my DOT cylinders. I think it cost about $9...

#MeToo
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use a simple handheld baggage scale to weigh my DOT cylinders. I think it cost about $9...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
We use an AP Products Tank Check Bluetooth unit, it's been 100% accurate when I've had it filled so I trust it. It's a little pricey, but since we only have one tank we have to keep up with it a little more than most people do and it's well worth the cost to us.

http://mopeka.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Products-024-1001-Propane-Level-Indicator/dp/B01C5RQJHS/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EXQNVRT1H7WQDZ2TRCX7
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
My apologies, like others, unless I buy a pre filled tank, I've always paid by the gallon, in many states. Didn't know some parts of the country gouge for propane.

In your case all of the options mentioned will work.

I have very rarely paid by the gallon. The places i frequent most have a sign posted as to what they charge for say 20 or 30 lb. Way it is. So maybe that is why the op is wondering how much is in the tanks. I got the same thing going on. My camper has been in the barn since this spring and since I am older than dirt, don't remember for sure what my tanks status is since I turned them both off when I backed it in the barn. The flat rate is OK with me if that is what is posted clearly. I don't see how that can be gouging if you have a choice.

I take it then, you would be OK with paying for 34 gallons of diesel, because your truck has a 34 gallon tank, even though you only put ten gallons in?
THAT is why some of us consider "flat rate" charges to be a gouging rip-off! We simply believe propane should be dispensed by weight or gallons, not by "Oh, you have a 20 pound cylinder, we will charge you for 5.4 gallons of propane, plus a service fee and taxes."
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Run the propane (stove or furnace) and spray the tank with water from a mister. The temp difference between the gas and liquid should show up as a dew line.

Alternately, you could get one of these.
I wonder if those actually work well. I hate the idea of spraying down the inside of my tank storage area with water when I want to find the level of propane. One thing I don't need is rust.

Somebody needs to buy one of those and report back on their efficacy. C'mon, somebody step up and take one for the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

We sell them at the store, and believe me, if they didn't work we'd hear about it. We put them on sale for $20 and now they're gone.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Farmboy666, I didn't say I had a problem getting my tank filled. I asked a simple question about determining amount of propane in a tank. You could either answer the question or hit delete and move on.
๐Ÿ™‚

First thing is I didn't quote you but I guess you could figure I was answering you. Second, if I didn't have a problem filling the tanks for what ever I had to pay I would have done it already.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
My apologies, like others, unless I buy a pre filled tank, I've always paid by the gallon, in many states. Didn't know some parts of the country gouge for propane.

I have very rarely paid by the gallon. The places i frequent most have a sign posted as to what they charge for say 20 or 30 lb. Way it is. So maybe that is why the op is wondering how much is in the tanks. I got the same thing going on. My camper has been in the barn since this spring and since I am older than dirt, don't remember for sure what my tanks status is since I turned them both off when I backed it in the barn. The flat rate is OK with me if that is what is posted clearly. I don't see how that can be gouging if you have a choice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmboy666 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Why not just go fill up the partial bottle of you think it's low?
Not sure who charges full price, every propane outfit or gas station I've been to charges you what they dispense.
Or....isn't that why you have 2, so when one runs out?
Not everyone works the way you think they should. We have two outfits that fill tanks, one is the local propane supplier, and they both charge a set price. So you pay for a full tank even if it's only 1/2 empty.

Exactly how much money are we talking about for a full tank? I guess if I had such a problem getting my tank filled and had to worry about being charged for more than I got I would keep a better handle on what was going on.
You're reading a lot into this. No problem getting my tank filled and I usually do it when it's empty.

It's more the issue of being charged for something you're not getting. Would you mind if you got charged for a full tank of fuel if you only needed a half tank to fill up? Less money for sure, but the same principal. Just a bit aggravating.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I sure am glad I live in the West. Every time I go get propane cylinders filled, they charge for the gallons and tenths pumped. Yes, the meter is temperature compensated (required by state law).
It doesn't matter if it is the two 20 pound cylinders for the grill, the 5 pound spare cylinder, the motorhome chassis mounted tank, or the house tank; all are charged by the number of gallons pumped in.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"