cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much can we REALLY tow with our 2015 Sierra 1500?

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2015 Sierra with the max tow package. Says we can tow 10,900. Looking at a TT that's 8300 dry. We'll be towing in NC/VA/WV mountains on occasion and I don't want any problems! Is this size rig okay, or do we need to shop for lighter?
20 REPLIES 20

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
I normally just set the tow/haul and let it do what it wants.
It surprises me how much it is able to hold 6th.
I've even saw it run in 4 cylinder mode some while traveling the flatlands in Ohio.
The biggest hill I've ever pulled was Fancy Gap on I77.
Came right up it at 65. Did bang 4th a couple times, but no issues.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That makes more sense. I just keep mine in 5th gear and sometimes 4th in the hills and mountains. The GM small blocks will sing all day at 3000rpm.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
lly-zf6 wrote:

At the weight I am pulling the truck will hold 6th gear on most smaller hills at interstate speeds. It will bang 5th (3400 rpm) on the larger grades.

That doesn't make sense. 3400rpm in 5th gear is about 111mph. You should be towing a lot in 5th gear (about 2100rpm @ 65mph). 4th gear about 2800rpm and 3rd gear about 3800rpm @ 65mph.

My bad. 2400 hit the wrong key.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
lly-zf6 wrote:

At the weight I am pulling the truck will hold 6th gear on most smaller hills at interstate speeds. It will bang 5th (3400 rpm) on the larger grades.

That doesn't make sense. 3400rpm in 5th gear is about 111mph. You should be towing a lot in 5th gear (about 2100rpm @ 65mph). 4th gear about 2800rpm and 3rd gear about 3800rpm @ 65mph.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, please post your actual weight numbers. Best to have axle by axle
weights

Here is the generic formula:

GCWR => TV + TT + cargo/people/etc

Most half ton's run into rear GAWR quicker than the higher class TVs

Example is that most half ton rear GAWR is in the 4K range. The next
higher classes are in the 6K range

Not being negative, just pragmatic about it. Half tons are more car
than truck. Not saying half tons can not tow anything...just within
their ratings

ON that, decide if you believe in the ratings system or not

If not, then this discussion is academic...as just do whatever but
know the OEMs are now off the warranty hook and liability hook

If yes, then continue and provide the actual weights so that we can
provide 'ADVICE'. I never provide the 'sure you can', 'you are good
for it', etc, but the metrics to figure it out yourself...as the only
person responsible for the setup is the driver

4fromOH wrote:
Thank you all so much for your replies! Thanks to all of the advise here, we decided to wait a bit longer to buy a new TT. We'll take our time and make sure we have all of the numbers figured out before making a buying decision. We will have the opportunity to get weighed this week as we're loaded up and traveling, so we should be able to get more accurate numbers there too. Thanks again! As soon as I have time on a computer, I'll look up all of the numbers and post them here??
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a Laredo 274 with a '14 max tow 1500.
Trailer weighs 6400 lbs dry with 800 lbs TW.
I weighed it ready to camp. about 7600 lbs.

The truck pulls it great with no issues.
That said, I'm not sure I would want to jump to to something that heavy.
I have a camping buddy pulling a 35 foot 7600 dry with a '15 max tow.
It does fine but stays in 5th alot of the time.
Some where in the mid 6k dry seems to be the sweet spot if you are pulling alot of hills.

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for your replies! Thanks to all of the advise here, we decided to wait a bit longer to buy a new TT. We'll take our time and make sure we have all of the numbers figured out before making a buying decision. We will have the opportunity to get weighed this week as we're loaded up and traveling, so we should be able to get more accurate numbers there too. Thanks again! As soon as I have time on a computer, I'll look up all of the numbers and post them here??

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at GM specs for your 1500 truck with the max tow package with the 10900 tow rating shows a 7600 GVWR and a uprated RAWR which I couldn't find but a couple of years ago it was in the 4400-4600 RAWR range.
The 5.3 cranks out 355 hp/383 tq along with the 3.73 rear axle and the 6L80E tranny. You sure won't have any issues pulling GMs 10900 lb tow rating .....just watch those rear axle weights (RAWR) and especially those P tires. Have fun on your trip.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I think your truck can do it but your going to be at max for your truck and it will get tired in a few years if you tow alot .we are in North east tn,border va,nc and had a similar setup when we got out first tt by year two we traded up to a F250 superduty so much better,I would look for a lighter tt your truck will think you,

Ruger3739
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 gmc sierra and tow a fully loaded 6900 lbs trailer. I make sure I don't put much in my bed and I am 200 lbs under my 1520 lbs payload. This is as much trailer as the truck wants to tow. I added an extra trans cooler to help out on the steep grades. I personally would not want to tow a dry 8000+ trailer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Which half ton ???

List your GVRW, RGAWR, FGAWR and GCWR....Plus your receiver rating (both dead weight and WD)

Best if you have your TV's actual weight...fully loaded ready to go RVing
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
You're getting a lot of comments about dry weight and rightfully so but there are two "dry weights." The brochure number which is irrelevant for all the reasons given above and the sticker on the actual TT that gives the weight when it left the factory. You want the latter and the GVWR.

Again, you need to do your math but I bet you'll end up happier if you are in the 5,000 dry, 6,500/7,000 lb GVWR range.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on my Tundra, rated to tow 10K and I'm towing 6,500 lbs. or so, I'd suggest that you stay at least under 8K, and 7,500 is probably a better goal to shoot for. No doubt, with a good WD hitch, you can do more and get by even if exceeding the payload weight by a little, but it will take a toll on the truck and may not be the best for driving and handling. Keep in mind when they say a trailer has a dry weight of 7,500 lbs., that doesn't include the weight of options, propane, any water, etc.

Another way to look at it is to use the GVWR and check how much they are allowing for cargo. My trailer had a dry weight of just under 5K. But with added slide out awning, propane tanks filled, and loaded with all gear except for some food & drink, and some clothing, the trailer weighed 6,200 lbs. at the scales. So, with some other mods and with all gear, I figure I'm pulling 6,500 lbs. and really wouldn't want to pull much more. The GVWR for my trailer is 7,500 lbs. It's only two of us, but truck bed gets loaded with 2 folding bikes, blue tote, tool bucket, 5lb. propane tank for grill, a little firewood and other misc. stuff.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer to allow for some error and tow about 80% of what the manual says I can tow so for you about 8500.
Jayco-noslide