cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda cr-v electrical problem

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2013 CR-V to tow. Have the towing package installed on CR-V and motor home. Replaced what we thought was a bad battery PRIOR to installing tow package. If we let the CR-V sit for 5 or 6 days, the battery goes dead. I took it to the Honda dealer, they said there is definitely some sort of draw, but they wanted an additional $347.00 to further diagnose it, because of the after market electrical additions for the tow package. I said no thanks. I've already had Camping World recheck their installation of the tow package One of the service reps at the dealer has the same issue with his CR-V, and a search online shows that is not an uncommon problem.

So, other than drive it every few days (which is doable) I could hook up a trickle charger every time I park it. I'm also wondering if I could get a battery disconnect installed on it, like we have on the motor home.

Any ideas on the best way to resolve this would be appreciated.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
10 REPLIES 10

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When my 2014 CRV battery died I just went down to Costco and bought a larger battery - there not that expensive. Undersized battery was a constant complaint on Honda forums -- think Honda finally got the message and started to provide larger batteries on more recent Honda's.
Kevin

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Using my great and unmatched wisdom, I would put an amp meter on the battery, measure the draw then start unplugging fuses one at a time.

Only way to find the real problem
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
It is probably a Honda issue. On our 12 CRV, (virtually the same as 13,14s) the battery would be dead after not using the car for 3 or 4 days. This was before hooking up the charge line, only separate bulbs in the tail light fixtures.
In there effort to improve fuel economy, Honda reduced the output of the alternator to 12.1 volts, and using a small 400 amp battery to save weight. The battery was just slightly bigger than the battery for a small lawn tractor. After Honda replaced 4 batteries in the first year (all warranty), they finally reflashed the computer to give an output of the normal 13 volts. When the Honda battery gave up again, I put in an Accord sized battery, 600+ amps instead of 400. Had to change battery box to the Accord size, it fit perfectly. Even with the 3 yr old battery and our cold winter climates 0 F., I've let the car sit for 2 weeks and it would start no problems.
If you have the small 400 amp battery, cheapest option would be to put a trickle charger on it.

Ken

Very good explanation of the problem. Thanks. Yes, trickle charger would do the job but trying to avoid asking my wife to hook/unhook it when she wants to use the car. I wonder if there is some sort of exterior plug that could be added to the car, and then the trickle charger or something plugged into that.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
It is probably a Honda issue. On our 12 CRV, (virtually the same as 13,14s) the battery would be dead after not using the car for 3 or 4 days. This was before hooking up the charge line, only separate bulbs in the tail light fixtures.
In there effort to improve fuel economy, Honda reduced the output of the alternator to 12.1 volts, and using a small 400 amp battery to save weight. The battery was just slightly bigger than the battery for a small lawn tractor. After Honda replaced 4 batteries in the first year (all warranty), they finally reflashed the computer to give an output of the normal 13 volts. When the Honda battery gave up again, I put in an Accord sized battery, 600+ amps instead of 400. Had to change battery box to the Accord size, it fit perfectly. Even with the 3 yr old battery and our cold winter climates 0 F., I've let the car sit for 2 weeks and it would start no problems.
If you have the small 400 amp battery, cheapest option would be to put a trickle charger on it.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I think the problem was there before the tow package was added.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Using my great and unmatched wisdom, I would put an amp meter on the battery, measure the draw then start unplugging fuses one at a time.
X2 And I'd use a clampon ammeter. This should help to isolate the problem if not find it.

OP It appears that you had the problem before the wiring changes since you replaced the battery but didn't realize the car had a problem. Correct?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
My guess is that the charge wire is not right, maybe with an errant cross connection.

If it is going dead while sitting not hooked up to the RV, there is obviously an errant draw. Something is not hooked up properly. Shouldn't be that hard to track it down.
I'd be looking for an independent RV tech or towing installer, but not the one you mentioned.

Here is the article re: parasitic drains in CR-V's
http://www.hondaproblems.com/crv-battery-drain/

I have called several shops around us and they were either not interested in the problem, or I could tell they had no idea what to do to even check it.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There is obviously a problem and if you paid for someone to install then give them a call - that's why you pay for a professional to install.
Kevin

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that the charge wire is not right, maybe with an errant cross connection.

If it is going dead while sitting not hooked up to the RV, there is obviously an errant draw. Something is not hooked up properly. Shouldn't be that hard to track it down.
I'd be looking for an independent RV tech or towing installer, but not the one you mentioned.