cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help needed. moving a 5th wheel with badly cracked frame

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have some friends with a 38โ€™ FR Cardinal 5wheel. The frame is cracked above the wheels and has shifted such that the tires rubbed the frame and blue out on the curb side. If anyone knows of someone that can dolly tow it or lowboy tow in the greater Portland, Oregon area please respond to the post or PM me.

Thanks in advance,
Russ
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
8 REPLIES 8

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I kinda figured the tires rubbed and blew out on the road...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
My initial response was not in consideration that this trailer may have had this issue just recently and on the side of the road en-route somewhere. Although not really specific as to it's situation and location.

IF it's actually stranded somewhere enroute then my first suggestion was totally not valid.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it can be moved enough to get it off the road, it can be moved enough to get it on a lowboy. Over height/permit issues are the towing company's problem, and it's most certainly not their first rodeo. Most likely there is an exemption for "emergency" tows. Let them worry about it.

Portland Heavy Towing is the first result in google. I would start there.

They may be able to block and chain the axle and frame well enough to get the trailer where it needs to go without loading it.

It's been a couple of days. Certainly this trailer is not still sitting on the side of the road?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I lost a wheel assembly on my 5er many years ago. I called around and found a tow service that had a semi and a lowboy trailer they used to move the trailer (and truck) to the nearest repair facility (which was about 60 miles away).
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming itโ€™s going to scrap (or a homeless encampment, lol) since repair wasnโ€™t mentioned.
Can it be scrapped where it sits or nearby? That is likely the least expensive scenario.
Get a roll off of 2 and rent a mini excavator. Turn it into a dumpster full of Trash and a frame with wheels that can be cut up and scrapped or towed to a recycler.

Just a suggestion.
BTW a 5ver on a lowboy will likely be a permit req over height load. Not to mention trying to load a broke frame (or any) 5ver onto a trailer. No legit hauler in their right mind would take that load.
Iโ€™d think the same for a heavy dolly system. Possibly minus the over height issue.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any access to the frame? I would be looking to bolt some steel plate to bring it together and just tow it to the shop. Or bring a welder out and finish it right there.

Any pictures?

Otherwise most commercial tow companies have the equipment or a partner that does. Could cost as much as the repair depending on the situation.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe find someone that can temporarily weld it enough so you can move it.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where you going to tow it to?

Years back a company I hauled for had similar problem with office trailer. I showed up with my tool truck, fixed it on site.
Sure, I could of got it on/off the RGN, but still would need to fix. Likely saved them money.