cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP, How to prepare 2017 Jeep wrangler to tow

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Need help from 2017 Jeep Wrangler owners. Just bought a 2017 4 door. The owners manual tells me how to "prepare it to tow". These instructions are the same as the last 3 jeeps I owned, no problem. The manual goes on with instructions how to "prepare to drive". These instructions says "RECONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE".

My problem is, it never says to disconnect but does say to reconnect. Dealer is no help, Jeep customer service says their manual,on a computer, does not say anything about disconnecting the battery so my manual is wrong. Do need to disconnect. Then customer service rep's supervisor says if my book says that,I better disconnect it.

Anyone tow a 2017 wrangler and how do you prepare it to tow?
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler
2 REPLIES 2

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,
As has been stated, Jeep has its head up you know where when it comes to some of it's owners manuals and, flat towing. They're building and selling one of the hottest selling vehicles on the planet and for some reason, they can't seem to figure our, HOW TO MAKE AN OWNERS MANUAL! I really cannot speak for preparations for towing a '17 Wrangler but, on our '15, there is absolutely ZERO need to disconnect the battery when towing. We never have and never will.

At the end of a days towing, I want to get in, start it up, un-hook the tow bar/cables and pig tail and, DRIVE AWAY. I sure as heck don't want to be bothered with hooking up disconnected battery cables or, even a switch for that matter. I suspect that, the '17 version is the same but, I don't own one so, I would be only guessing which, doesn't help you.
Sccott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep has had problems with the manuals for the newer models.
First, they eliminated the "OFF, not locked" position from the ignition switch, which requires that the switch be left in the "ACC" position to unlock the steering. That will eventually run the battery down, so they said "Disconnect the battery."
Then, they eliminated the steering lock, so there was no longer any need to leave the key in the ignition or the ignition on, but failed to update the manual.
Apparently, they still haven't matched the manual to the actual vehicle.
All that being said, the bottom line is, if your 2017 Jeep does not have a steering lock, you do not need to leave the ignition switch in the ON or ACC position, so there is no need to disconnect the battery. If there is no need to disconnect the battery, there obviously is no need to reconnect it.
Somebody neglected to update the Owners Manual. That "reconnect" message should have been deleted. Of course, nobody wants to admit they made a mistake like that.
Just hook the Jeep to the motorhome, put the transfer case in Neutral, the transmission in Park or in gear(if a manual. I always used 5th gear), connect the safety chains and lights, and go.
I know, the manual probably says to put the transfer case in Neutral, then connect the towbar to the towing vehicle (mine did). I always thought that was really dumb! It is much easier, IMO, to move the Jeep to the motorhome than it is to move the motorhome to the Jeep.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"