cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have You Installed Your Own Slide Topper?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking of ordering and installing a slide topper on my RV. My side measures flange to flange at 7'6" (or 93"). When I go on Solera's site I see the closest topper sizes at 8' (or 96") or
8'6" (or 102"). Would either of these sizes work or would I have to do a special order?

Thanks
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
20 REPLIES 20

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 on son in laws 5th wheeler, easy job. You just need two people and 2 step ladder, The brackets on slide out have some adjustment in them.Took about 3 hours total.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I get it. Typically a Slide Topper is measured outside flange to outside flange. My flange to flange measured 93 inches and I ordered 96 inches. My slide topper sticks out past the slide flange on each side about 3 inches on each side.

You could order your slide topper a little less than the distance between flange to flange. Lets say yours measures 12'6". Instead of ordering larger you could order smaller lets say 12 feet which would be 6 inches less a difference of 3 inches on each side which hypothetically would put you flush with the flange.

Of course you will have to check all your own measurements. And for something that close I would pay to have it done and tell them what your situation is so they can plan for it.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:

Are you saying your current awning will cover your slide out?

If my awning covered my slide out I don't think I would bother with a topper. I would either deploy the awning just enough to cover the Slide out or completely.

No, I don't have a slide out awning currently. When I deploy my electric awning the awning arm clears the upper corner of the slide out by 1.5 inches. Not sure if I can even use a slide out awning with those close dimensions.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
shadows4 wrote:
I have been thinking of doing this myself also. One thing though, on our door side slide when the awning is deployed I only have 1.5 inches of clearance. The main slide is 152 inches. What size should I use? Thanks.

Are you saying your current awning will cover your slide out?

If my awning covered my slide out I don't think I would bother with a topper. I would either deploy the awning just enough to cover the Slide out or completely.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been thinking of doing this myself also. One thing though, on our door side slide when the awning is deployed I only have 1.5 inches of clearance. The main slide is 152 inches. What size should I use? Thanks.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the information but I have to confess I wimped out. Camping World had the Black 96" Solera on Sale for $280. They charged $135 in labor and another $30 in supplies for the install. They did the install in less than two hours.

They did a great job and I could watch from a distance. The biggest pain was driving the 100 miles to the nearest CW in a major down pour.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
When my previous trailer was totaled by the insurance company, I pulled off the slide toppers and put them on my current trailer. I had to shorten the tube and awning a little since this is a smaller slide but it was not a big deal

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I would love slide toppers, but what does everyone do in the winds? We get horrible winds where we camp.

I Don't have slide toppers on current trailer but on previous trailer, they could withstand much more wind when compared to an awning......but some flapping is to be expected.
My Colorado toppers were 10 yrs old when trailer was sold.

Same here, was in wind ,at times. Yes the one longest flapped a bit, and was annoying , but it never hurt the topper.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I would love slide toppers, but what does everyone do in the winds? We get horrible winds where we camp.

I Don't have slide toppers on current trailer but on previous trailer, they could withstand much more wind when compared to an awning......but some flapping is to be expected.
My Colorado toppers were 10 yrs old when trailer was sold.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I am thinking of ordering and installing a slide topper on my RV. My side measures flange to flange at 7'6" (or 93"). When I go on Solera's site I see the closest topper sizes at 8' (or 96") or
8'6" (or 102"). Would either of these sizes work or would I have to do a special order?

Thanks

I have installed 2 of the Solera toppers to my Reflection. Lippert has a table that should be used to determine the length of the topper needed. You measure flange to flange length and then pick the correct P/N from the table that you find here and it all works out perfectly.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/quickreferences/ccd_0001820.pdf

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

Camp somewhere else and get slide topper from Amazon. Unless you're into windsurfing.

2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
1L243 wrote:
I am thinking of ordering and installing a slide topper on my RV.

I installed one myself Here's a video of the project

For your RV, the 8' should be fine.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with 6" longer than slide.

Installation tip, pull the truck tight against the side of the trailer, and work out of the bed of the truck ๐Ÿ™‚