cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathon tires class action?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If you have had problems with Goodyear Marathon tires on your fifth-wheel trailer, attorneys working with ClassAction.org are investigating whether a class action lawsuit can be filed in light of complaints that the tires are susceptible to tread separations and blowouts as early as the first several thousand miles. Itโ€™s believed the company is aware of the tire failures as dozens of drivers have reportedly brought their tires to Goodyear dealers to have them fixed or replaced. In addition, at least 100 complaints have been registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the tires. If you have had such a problem, fill out a report on this page."
RV Travel

There are some other interesting points in this weeks issue, it's well worth subscribing.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
CALandLIN wrote:
kedanie wrote:
While CALandLIN, aka FastEagle, says that his ST tire problems went away by switching to the โ€œEโ€ rated tires after the first 5, he is not telling the whole truth. The reality is that he went through over 22 tires by his own admission. A rather dubious track record for his beloved ST tires.

Keith

Hello Keith, still around quoting out of context as usual. How long has it been since you had an RV trailer? Lots of changes in ST tire quality in the past 10 years.

Out of context? Just expanding on information you already provided. You still receiving compensation from the ST tire manufacturers for your undying support?

Got rid of our last trailer some time ago and all the tire issues that accompany them. Solved those problems with a good set of LT tires. Over 20K miles without issues after the change.

Life is way more pleasant in a Class A!

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Ambulance chasers get rich, you get a certificate for a free Dairy Queen.

B.O.

Lots of truth to that. I think the one class action I was part of I got 2.50 or there about (Gift cert towards the defective product).

One problem with trailer tires is overload.. Both the trailers I pulled when I went to bigger and better tires the blowouts ended. The trailer maker, nto the tire maker, was at fault for too small a tire.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard that DQ sold the settlement out to Wendy's for small Frostys.
Puma 30RKSS

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
While CALandLIN, aka FastEagle, says that his ST tire problems went away by switching to the โ€œEโ€ rated tires after the first 5, he is not telling the whole truth. The reality is that he went through over 22 tires by his own admission. A rather dubious track record for his beloved ST tires.

Keith

Hello Keith, still around quoting out of context as usual. How long has it been since you had an RV trailer? Lots of changes in ST tire quality in the past 10 years.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Man, does this thread bring back BAD memories. :S

Kinda makes you wonder where the thread starter has been for LOTS of years - as well as whatever attorneys might be considering a clsas action!! Marathon horror stories (as well as some supporters) were all over the boards here.

The bad karma of GY Marathon tires is really ancient history!
Even when they were manufactured in the USA.

The Airstream Owners forums had a Marathon Failures thread that ran for years - and probably still does.

The plus side (if there is one) - GY would replace your Marathons (usually) at no charge AND pay for damage done to your trailer by a failed tire..:) Unfortunately, NO compensation for "down time"..:(

BTW - GY lost a major lawsuit involving Marathons (and other GY tires)
"way back when" (w/fatalities involved). Common practice to have the settlement "sealed", however the results of that one ran in a newspaper.

OOPS!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Usually the judgement ends up being millions to attorneys and something like a $10 certificate towards new same-brand tires for the plainifs.

That's the truth except the $10 figure is too high.

B.O.

And a small Dairy Queen at that lol.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder where the thread starter has been for LOTS of years - as well as whatever attorneys might be considering a clsas action!! Marathon horror stories (as well as some supporters) were all over the boards here.

The bad karma of GY Marathon tires is really ancient history!
Even when they were manufactured in the USA.

The Airstream Owners forums had a Marathon Failures thread that ran for years - and probably still does.

The plus side (if there is one) - GY would replace your Marathons (usually) at no charge AND pay for damage done to your trailer by a failed tire..:) Unfortunately, NO compensation for "down time"..:(

BTW - GY lost a major lawsuit involving Marathons (and other GY tires)
"way back when" (w/fatalities involved). Common practice to have the settlement "sealed", however the results of that one ran in a newspaper.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Usually the judgement ends up being millions to attorneys and something like a $10 certificate towards new same-brand tires for the plainifs.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
ScottG wrote:

And just when you thought it could get no sillier.....From the wonderful website referenced in your post.

"Park Ranger Wage Lawsuits

If you work or have worked as a park ranger and weren't paid for time spent donning and doffing your uniform, attorneys working with ClassAction.org would like to speak to you about your rights."

Maybe I can sue all the employers I have worked for in my career for the time I spent donning and doffing my shorts every day for the last 25 years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup, have had a fair share of Marathins doin damage to my trailer fenders....like 10 years ago. Wonder if I can collect enough to retire??

Class action suit for a bunch of old crappy tires? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I had two sets of 235/16 Marathons on a previous fifth wheel, one set of US made LRD replaced with a Chinese made set of LRE's. I didn't have any problems with either of them. I now have a set of five year old 235/16 LRE Carlisle RH's (another tire maligned by some) on our present rig and have had no problems with them either.

I always keep them at sidewall pressure and below 65 MPH.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper