cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel pump handles, perhaps are the worse for spreading germs and viruses ,maybe with door handles of businesses being first.
Someone who has just finished shoveling out the barn or milking parlor, or has a cold or flu or a virus most usually does/may not wash their hands or use a sanitizer of disinfectant wipe before pumping fuel, or entering a store.
We carry the little packages of disinfectant wipes but don't always think to wipe our hands...and the pump handle with them. We are changing that if we can find more wipes. I always use disposable nitrile gloves to pump diesel as 99% of the tiem they are oily with leaking diesel and you can wash all day and not get the diesel out of your hands except by wiping on the upholstery it seems sometimes.
Maybe I need to sue them to pump gas too and even open doors of gas station.
But for certain wee will wipe the pump handles with disinfectant wipes.
Would be good if fuel stops haad them next to the pumps.
59 REPLIES 59

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I just use my biodegradable dog poop bags which are always in the vehicle.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Speaking of litter, Did you know that McDonalds packaging has a life of about 2.8 miles? At least that is the assumption the **** in my ditch leads me to.
Lol. The worst garbage mess I've ever seen was in the desert, coming into North Las Vegas from the north on the 15. White grocery bags caught on bushes, flapping in the wind as far as the eye could see. I think the landfill is somewhere around there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
wnjj wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have any control over where all that food came from, and how it was handled before being placed on the shelves?

I don't, but at least they are handled by commercial employees who at least in theory operate under guidelines and in the case of production, inspections. It's not perfect but better than no control.

There's also a difference between being contaminated by a potential source or two versus every customer who came before me. Some "throwaway" things we do provide a sanitary benefit which seems to not be considered in the debate. Honestly I'm not really sure whether reusable grocery bags will cause more disease spread but I'm not sure anyone really knows.
I've been doing it for 20 years, so no biggie. I just hate to see all the waste and trash that everyone seems to take for granted. All that **** just ends up in the landfill, or along the roadsides when they're haphazardly discarded. I just choose not to do that. Again, no biggie.

And I thank you. NY just went to reusable. I think it is great. Now when I slam on the brakes to see that Snowy Owl in the hedgerow, it may actually be one and not a plastic bag.
Speaking of litter, Did you know that McDonalds packaging has a life of about 2.8 miles? At least that is the assumption the **** in my ditch leads me to.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ But, but...the bags will kill you too...just ask some rvnet members!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to have to remember to wear gloves at the grocery store. Almost as hard as remembering my bags.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, one thing is for sure....something is going to kill every one of ya. And me too...
Are you going to sit around and worry about it and debate the use of different types of grocery bags, in a thread that was clearly started by some one with a diesel pump handle phobia?? Lol

Maybe everyone should just carry their groceries out one armload at a time and come back in to get more. Plastic bags run the environment, paper bags kill trees and now reusable bags kill you?

It a wonder some of y'all have the courage to get out of bed in the morning for fear of something gonna getcha!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will only use 100% natural & 100% biodegradable gloves while fueling. My gloves are made from pangolin skin with pure rhinoceros horn gripping surface. I change gloves every 10 seconds while fueling.

Seriously, I also use reusable grocery bags and reuse the few plastic bags I have left. Maybe they are dirty, maybe not, maybe its all a scam. But they are much better quality bags if nothing else.
Patrick

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this is getting off topic as most do, but I reuse every plastic bag that doesn't have holes in it. They work great for fish after I get done filleting them. I store them in a used plastic container that formerly contained food we ate.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those of you that talk about recycling. Did you know that China used to buy most of our plastics and other recyclables. They don't buy them anymore and now most of the recyclable stuff ends up in the landfill.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My store bags are for used kitty litter. Toss in trash. I do use the hard-sided grocery bags as much as possible.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
While I do believe plastics are a environmental problem I use the plastic store bags for my garbage bags. At the end of the day I through the bag in the trash outside. I haven't purchased trash bags for thirty-five years. I do the same in the RV as well. So my plastic bags get reused. I do have a reusable insulated bag for frozen foods I use. Another use for the plastic store bags is for dog waste, especially while camping.

Our city has two trash containers for each house. One for recycling and another for trash.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
All I can say is google " dangers of reusable grocery bags".

Some reputable studies have been done. We used them for a while and now mostly use throw away bags. We recycle them for what that is worth, no telling where they end up. At least we are not worrying about what might be growing in our bags.

To each their own...

Funny, we periodically put ours in the wash if they're gnarly. They are certainly better than the plastic bags that invariably tear and spew their contents and a packet reusable bag stands up and doesn't sling its contents all over the back of an SUV or car trunk. And we're still alive.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is google " dangers of reusable grocery bags".

Some reputable studies have been done. We used them for a while and now mostly use throw away bags. We recycle them for what that is worth, no telling where they end up. At least we are not worrying about what might be growing in our bags.

To each their own...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have any control over where all that food came from, and how it was handled before being placed on the shelves?

I don't, but at least they are handled by commercial employees who at least in theory operate under guidelines and in the case of production, inspections. It's not perfect but better than no control.

There's also a difference between being contaminated by a potential source or two versus every customer who came before me. Some "throwaway" things we do provide a sanitary benefit which seems to not be considered in the debate. Honestly I'm not really sure whether reusable grocery bags will cause more disease spread but I'm not sure anyone really knows.
I've been doing it for 20 years, so no biggie. I just hate to see all the waste and trash that everyone seems to take for granted. All that **** just ends up in the landfill, or along the roadsides when they're haphazardly discarded. I just choose not to do that. Again, no biggie.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"