cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator quits

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Iowa getting the toad modified for towing and some items fixed on the Winnebago motorhome. One thing that broke on the way to Iowa was the genny. Has always run fine but a few days ago it started as always ran less than one minute after the 110v was operating, and then quit and refused to start again. Turned over fine but no hint of starting. When it shut uff it was as if you had pushed the stop button, so I doubted it was fuel, but probably electrical.

Since we were at the Winne factory the next day we had then look at it. They said some wires had moved and interfered with the governor. They fixed that and they ran it for an hour w/o further problems.

The next day we drove to pick up the modified toad and planned to boondock there. Got there and started the genny. Ran again for a minute or so after the 110v clicked on. No load yet. Then it shuts off as before refusing all efforts to start it.

So, back to Winnie the next day. We boondocked in the parking lot. The next AM, I gave it a try and viola, it started right up. The Winnie tech then checked all wires, road tested for 10 miles, changed oil/filter and fuel filter, test ran for several hours, all ok.

The tech and I had a long conversation about what it might be. Oil low level sensor, circuit board, bad wire connector, loose ground, etc, etc. he claimed to have checked all of the above and found nothing. So we are staying the night here again and will be testing it several times. If the wind lays down we plan some driving on rough roads. If all is still ok, guess we will start home to TN tomorrow

Anybody have any other ideas we can check while we are here?

BTW, it is an Onan 5.5 HGJAB-1058 genny with a bit under 300 hours on it.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the solution George.:) It's always nice to add one or more items to the list of solutions.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We are currently having the same issues with our Onan. This thread has been very helpful. Probably the same problem.

Good luck with yours and let us know the result.

BTW, now I know far more about generator engines than I ever wanted to know, I suggest if your symptoms are similiar to ours, obviously check the fuel pump, but also the shut off solenoid on the carb float bowl.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are currently having the same issues with our Onan. This thread has been very helpful. Probably the same problem.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved for real this time! Onan called this morning. They kept it overnite at my insistence after a day of fruitless searching. This morning it finally stopped when a mechanic started it and would not restart. He tapped the fuel pump with a wrench and it restarted and ran fine. The pump is on order. Yea!!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I donโ€™t now much about them but could it be overheating? Just a thought.

i donโ€™t think so since it quits within 1 minute of 110 volt clicking on and sometimes with no load applied yet.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t now much about them but could it be overheating? Just a thought.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
Could be an issue with the oil level sensor.
OTOH is the gen level when you are running it? Off level in the right direction will behave the same as low oil if the sensor is on the high side/not submerged.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was one of my first thoughts so I had the oil/filter and fuel filter changed at WGO. It has been parked on very level pads when it has failed and it has failed before and after the oil change. The mystery continues.

Apparently Onan has diagnostic computers they do not share with any other shop so that is why I am taking it there. They told me they can look back at every code it has ever had in itโ€™s lifetime (275 hrs)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
George I wish you the best of luck, I love my Onan but they seem to be fickled fiends. They do not always give correct codes. Please let us know when you have it running again.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Could be an issue with the oil level sensor.
OTOH is the gen level when you are running it? Off level in the right direction will behave the same as low oil if the sensor is on the high side/not submerged.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, problem not solved after all. On way back rom WGO factory it quit again at the first nites stop. It ran for 2+ hrs at the factory before we left. At least now it will not start whereas before it would restart a few hrs later.

We have and appt with the Cummins/Onan service center in Knoxville next week. Hopefully they can track the gremlin down. It still shows a code 36 and that is all we know.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. It was the fuel cutoff solenoid. The tech disabled the solenoid and all works well. I may or may not replace it at home.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
2003silverado wrote:
How much fuel is in the tank? Generally generators in motor homes will shut off when the tank gets down to the half or quarter tank. Could be depending on how the vehicle is parked, sometimes it has enough fuel and other times it doesn't.

We always keep at least 1/2 tank or more as we are aware of the genny needing 1/4 tank to run. The tech here this AM said he has seen many of these problems but this is the first time he has seen something besides low fuel being being the cause.

Update. The tech and i agree we think it is the fuel shutoff solenoid. He has disconnected it and it has run perfectly for over an hour now.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much fuel is in the tank? Generally generators in motor homes will shut off when the tank gets down to the half or quarter tank. Could be depending on how the vehicle is parked, sometimes it has enough fuel and other times it doesn't.