cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasoline/Diesel Shortages

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought it might be a help to our friends on the road to post locations where we have seen long gas lines or fuel stops shut down. Also advise on places near the effected areas that we know have fuel. I know this is a "fluid" situation and things can change quickly, but it might help to keep some fellow RV'ers from getting caught short.
Right now in my area, near Providence RI, I haven't seen any shutdowns.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
34 REPLIES 34

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Panic buying and NIMBY attitude. A refinery in North or South Carolina with designated crude delivered by ship would help. It appears this time will be over by the weekend.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the pipelineโ€™s back in business. Another short-lived crisis, but apparently enough to bring out the worst in some people. I think that was a Patrisse who tried to do some line-jumping at a NC gas station and ended up in a spitting contest.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, since I fueled on Monday the price at our local station went up $0.24 a gal.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
docsouce wrote:
OP here. Yes a short lived post would be nice. DW and I are planning to leave home for 4 months and head west on June 20. I plan to make my way to I84 then I81, I40 I65 to Columbia TN then US route 412 west to Springer NM. Unfortunately this route looks like it might not work form the reports I'm seeing. So I sat down today and started checking out alternate routes that will hopefully avoid any hard hit areas. My thinking is to get to I80/I70 west and so on. This is what so great about this forum. If this thing happens to drag on (sound familiar) hopefully enough folks will chime in and we can get an idea what areas are favorable for travel. One way or another this is going to be an interesting trip!!!

By June 20 I'm sure they will be able to open the valves by hand if the have not solved all the issues.
A much longer lasting problem is likely to be the bridge at Memphis

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling through the back roads of western Virginia today. What we saw was that one town would have gas stations open with fuel while the next town had all the pumps covered as if they were out of gas.

We got very lucky and filled up the RV and toad so we will be good to go for another 13 nights as we do not travel but every three days or so and do not go very far when we do move.

Hopefully this will be all over soon or by the time we need gas again.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. Yes a short lived post would be nice. DW and I are planning to leave home for 4 months and head west on June 20. I plan to make my way to I84 then I81, I40 I65 to Columbia TN then US route 412 west to Springer NM. Unfortunately this route looks like it might not work form the reports I'm seeing. So I sat down today and started checking out alternate routes that will hopefully avoid any hard hit areas. My thinking is to get to I80/I70 west and so on. This is what so great about this forum. If this thing happens to drag on (sound familiar) hopefully enough folks will chime in and we can get an idea what areas are favorable for travel. One way or another this is going to be an interesting trip!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Not as long as local TV stations are camped in convenience stores with no fuel screaming crisis out one side of their mouths and don't hoard out the other.

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.....

dedmiston
Breaking news reports say that the pipeline is resuming operations, so hopefully this crisis will die down shortly.

Just like with TP and hand sanitizer, shame on the fools and hoarders for worsening the situation. If you know any hoarders, go ahead and wish a pox on them. Or if you yourself are a hoarder, go grab yourself a ball-peen hammer and give your thumb a good whack with it to settle up with Karma.

And again, just a reminder that the long-term home for fuel price ranting is the RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here! thread from the late great Dick A.

Hopefully things will return to "normal" soon enough and this thread will fall down the page into obscurity.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
No shortages in the NW, but prices are through the roof - saw $3.79 for premium. Diesel is up to about $3.59 but still less than regular. Prices are increasing daily.

The important part here is to not make this like the TP shortage. If people stock up, get extra supply, etc, then others follow and no one has it. If people react as normal, then the supply chain can keep up as normal. So, don't go buy a bunch of gas cans and fill them up, just plan ahead, stop when you need gas (or a little sooner) and stay diligent.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just stop driving already. This too shall pass soon enough.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the head scratcher. Most of Peninsula Florida receives finished petroleum products by ship and barge from Gulf Coast and Caribbean refineries to ports in Jax, Port Canaveral, Palm Beach, Port Everglades, & Tampa. In my area the media is reporting some retailers out of fuel which generally comes from the Port of Tampa through a pipeline NOT operated by Colonial, to a terminal south of Orlando, then trucked to stations.

Pure panic buying.......

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought gas this morning in Broken Arrow, OK and was the only car there. Same with other stations nearby, only 1-2 cars.

While driving away, the radio had a 'breaking news' story that "many stations in Tulsa area are out of gas." Where do radio stations get their news?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It probably doesn't help that there was a serious shortage of truck drivers with the appropriate CDL endorsements to drive fuel tankers before this problem existed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:

Always a smoke screen these things are.

Naaww - a "SMOKE SCREEN" ??

Does that mean the sky is *NOT* falling??? - ROTFL

Gas prices in California are up due to a pipeline that supplies *zero* fuel/s to CA.

Just an excuse by the oil companies to raise prices (and escape any anti-gouging mandates).

Why? - "More people traveling due to relaxed Covid restrictions, etc."
(But keep that pipeline in your mind !).

:R

Agreed 100%. The rich getting richer.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
So as of noon today 70% of the stations in the Raleigh NC area have NO gas. Thats a smoke screen?