cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full time - National medical access

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a Nationwide network of medical facilities, 'Doc in a Boxes' that one can use that doesn't require a full check in paperwork as the med records are "On File" that they, Docs, can access? I know some have IN/OUT of Networks in several states, but you need to go with their plans, not the AARP one.

I have been using the VA, have Medicare and the AARP go anywhere coverage.

VA has the Traveling Nurse, but very limited on what they can do. I use the VA mainly for expensive Rx cost so as not to clog up the system for those that really need it. It seems that to "visit" another VA facility, they have to load ALL the records back in and then assign a PCP... it's complicated.

So I was looking for a general nationwide network that might work better..

(I tried to search and the FAQ for this topic, surprised there's nothing showing. Admin, feel free to move/post whatever would help the cause.. thanks)
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website
11 REPLIES 11

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our doctors are affiliated with the local hospital and whatever specialty we go to all the doctors are linked to the one computer system so they find anything quickly. We find that paper records are not used anymore because they would have to input everything into the computer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

Doesn't look like there'e really a solution so Paper and USB files seem to be the answer.

Comment on Docs don't like computer seems true in my experience too... especially the messaging system, they get to it when they get to it, if they get to is... and then it's pretty generic.

They don't read any files and want to start all over again it would seem.

I hear ya on the 'Monopoly'... 2nd opinions would be the same so as not to contradict the fellow Doc...

Oh well, just was hoping there was someway/something that would work.

thanks all..

On to the next one.. heheh..
cheers..
Frank Poole
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
, Hipaa...it has become standard practice for healthcare providers to never share health information.
..and never computerize it.

My doctor shows up to the exam room with an armful of paper and then asks me questions that are in that pile of stuff, but he can't find it. My eye doctor and dentist are way beyond him with technology.

I asked a nurse about this. She said "Oh, doctors hate computers." Really? Doctors don't have computers at home? I would have expected that answer 15 years ago. My oil change place knows more about my car's history than the doctor knows about my health.

westernrvparkowner wrote:
If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of PROgress?
That's a good one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I wish you luck. Since medical records are stuck in the 19th century, your request may be difficult to fulfill.
It is more the fault of a 21st century law, Hipaa. The privacy provisions of Hipaa are so draconian (7th century reference to Draco, a Athenian scribe who codified harsh punishments for minor offenses) that it has become standard practice for healthcare providers to never share health information. This has led to the foot dragging on electronic records, because it is much harder to remotely hack a file drawer than it is a file stored in the cloud.

If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of PROgress?

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think there is... I know my DD as a medical professional has had to start over with locating a job and then being at the bottom of the totem pole, each time they have relocated with her husband's job.

I don't know that such a network would be a great thing. I live where one hospital has created a monopoly (and the courts agreed) and it is impossible to get a true second opinion from someone who is not part of that hospital without driving over a hundred miles.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we have been full timers for 7 years and we have found nothing like that. We use walk in clinics at CVS and Walgreens (Walgreens may keep your records, not sure about CVS). For emergencies you can use any hospital with prior VA approval (make sure you find out the name of the person the ER talked to at the VA. (long story). The VA will reimburse the ER (took a year for us). Each provider keeps their own records and are not usually willing to share.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine says I should go to the VA and sign up. What can the VA do that my doctor can't?

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
I have been with MyHealthEVet for quite a while. Yep, it works well for me.

I have an iPad I use for most everything electronic. Works well when I travel.

Thanks. Hope every veteran has signed up!

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Marine By Choice wrote:
One quick thought I have is have the VA print out your complete history and take with you. When/If you visit another facility ask them for a printout of that visit's activity. Might work?

Or if not a VA facility wherever you visit.

Thanks Marine,
See above 'the MyHealthVet' is a great thing to have set up if compter is available and you can download, put on a small USB and use that, easier to update? than reprinting each time....

If you aren't signed up on the MyHeatlhVet, it's certainly worth doing.. heheh, or not.. depends upon the situation. They are revising it, dunno it that's a good thing or maybe not so good, hope it is...

although, a print out might be better as some clinics won't take a file so, sigh, probably best to have both as you suggest, the paper might work better...

The VA are not "Synched" together.. they have to download the full med/mil files in order to see anything, that took an hour or more when tried it at Reno, NV with my PCP in Seattle, Wa... no direct connection where they could/should be able to, go online to see them.

Gawd, Getting Old Sucks....

cheers..
Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
One quick thought I have is have the VA print out your complete history and take with you. When/If you visit another facility ask them for a printout of that visit's activity. Might work?

Or if not a VA facility wherever you visit.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I wish you luck. Since medical records are stuck in the 19th century, your request may be difficult to fulfill.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman