cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J frustrations - Alternatives?

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve always preferred Flying J when traveling on interstate highways. I made the effort to get the RV Plus card which is easy to pay and gives me 6 cents per gallon discount. On our recent 4000 mile trip I was extremely disappointed with them.

We tow a 32 foot fifth wheel and have a gasoline powered truck. The RV lanes are the main reason we go there.

At least half of the pumps had burned out screens so I had to pay inside, usually waiting in a long line competing with the pizza customers for a cashier. The cashiers had no idea how to handle the RV Plus card.

At one station, someone had run into a pump and all pumps were shut down. Obviously not the stations fault, however they could have put signs up or orange cones to let you know not to bother tryin to use those lanes.

At another Flying J brand station there were no RV lanes for gasoline and the remaining pumps were at a awkward angle and very tightly spaced.

Probably the most frustrating was at Lake Park, GA, I75 exit 2. On the way out the card readers did not work at the RV lane. On the return, 4 weeks later, the card readers still did not work. I guess they are hoping the gas pump repair fairy will stop by some night.

I try to top off the truck when unhitched. I have learned to visually assess whether I can make the tight turns at regular gas stations. I have even backed out of stations while towing, but I love RV lanes.

Is there a good alternative to Flying J?
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
47 REPLIES 47

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
MikeDupont wrote:
fwiw, i recently saw that the Haslam family sold their stand alone Pilot stations and "will concentrate on their Pilot/Flying J stations".

The 38 locations around Knoxville that are being sold to Casey's General Stores are convenience stores, not truck stops/travel centers. The privately held company that operates them is wholly owned by the Haslam family and the sale will have no effect on the 750 PFJ travel centers owned by the Pilot Company that the Haslams own 50.1% of. Berkshire Hathaway and FJ Management (former Flying J) own the balance.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
fwiw, i recently saw that the Haslam family sold their stand alone Pilot stations and "will concentrate on their Pilot/Flying J stations".

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
RRinNFla wrote:
Itโ€™s not just a matter of the convenience of using the RV lane for fueling itโ€™s also a matter of having a place to park after fueling. (One of my pet peeves is motorists who disappear after fueling while others are waiting in line)

I like the convenience of Flying J, and I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. I admit I was venting a little about bad service, but my main reason for posting was to see if other travelers might be aware of an equivalent setup to Flying J. So far I havenโ€™t heard any.

The only other fuel stops I've found with dedicated RV lanes for fueling and parking are the few Pilot and Loves stations that are former Flying J stations. When Pilot bought Flying J, they were required to divest some number of stations by the FTC, and they sold them to Loves. The other PFJ brand swaps occurred where they had both brands in close proximity and the existing Flying J was rebranded to Pilot when the nearby Pilot station was sold to Loves.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not just a matter of the convenience of using the RV lane for fueling itโ€™s also a matter of having a place to park after fueling. (One of my pet peeves is motorists who disappear after fueling while others are waiting in line)

I like the convenience of Flying J, and I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. I admit I was venting a little about bad service, but my main reason for posting was to see if other travelers might be aware of an equivalent setup to Flying J. So far I havenโ€™t heard any.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RRinNFla wrote:
Weโ€™ve always preferred Flying J when traveling on interstate highways. I made the effort to get the RV Plus card which is easy to pay and gives me 6 cents per gallon discount. On our recent 4000 mile trip I was extremely disappointed with them.

We tow a 32 foot fifth wheel and have a gasoline powered truck. The RV lanes are the main reason we go there.

At least half of the pumps had burned out screens so I had to pay inside, usually waiting in a long line competing with the pizza customers for a cashier. The cashiers had no idea how to handle the RV Plus card.

At one station, someone had run into a pump and all pumps were shut down. Obviously not the stations fault, however they could have put signs up or orange cones to let you know not to bother tryin to use those lanes.

At another Flying J brand station there were no RV lanes for gasoline and the remaining pumps were at a awkward angle and very tightly spaced.

Probably the most frustrating was at Lake Park, GA, I75 exit 2. On the way out the card readers did not work at the RV lane. On the return, 4 weeks later, the card readers still did not work. I guess they are hoping the gas pump repair fairy will stop by some night.

I try to top off the truck when unhitched. I have learned to visually assess whether I can make the tight turns at regular gas stations. I have even backed out of stations while towing, but I love RV lanes.

Is there a good alternative to Flying J?

Sounds like a bunch of complaining. Just use a different gas station.
32' 5ver is not "that" obtrusive to tow around.
I can see how having a gasser towing a 5ver would require multiple fuel stops per day though.
Consider a slip tank, couple mfgs make DOT rated transfer tanks for gasoline. Can't plumb it in, but it sure would be easy to fill up when not hooked up, if that's a concern and then re-fill truck tank anywhere you pull over.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hornet28 wrote:
bob213 wrote:

His is diesel though. I'm not sure of the legality of a 100 gallon in bed gas tank

It's legal or companies like TransferFlo wouldn't build and sell them

He said gasโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a previous F-350 I had a 110gal tank in the bed and the OEM tank held 40 gal. My trailer and truck combined weighed around 22,000lbs and it was pretty easy to go 1500mi without fueling

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I find numerous pumps that will not take my CC, or will make customers go inside to pay. In either case, I'm, gone to another station. Too many "pay first" hassles, and too many lines when the PATP w/Card is so much more convenient. Easy enough to pull out and down the street. Especially with a Truck Camper ... might not be as easy with large TT or 5'er.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
If I'm just purchasing fuel, I refuse to go inside to pay. If I can't pay at the pump I'll go elsewhere.

After all, it's not the 1970's anymore. Pay at the pump should be at every pump, regardless where, without exception.

X2

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

His is diesel though. I'm not sure of the legality of a 100 gallon in bed gas tank

It's legal or companies like TransferFlo wouldn't build and sell them

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Since I have a 2005 diesel that isn't made to run on the B-20 that Flying J, Loves etc. are offering I try to fuel when unhitched from trailer. I'm considering a replacement fuel tank to give me more capacity than the 26 gallon OEM tank. I agree that Flying J and Pilot have become complacent in their concern for the RV business.

A wise investment. Neighbor next door at our old home welded up his own 100 gallon tank for his F350 out of aluminum plate, with baffles, pump the whole works. Not all of us can do that. They aren't cheap and 100 gallon tanks for pickup beds for sale? he pulled/pulls a three axle fifth wheel that is heavy enough he had to make cross members and install air bag system. 129 gallons total is a lot of weight but got him across the country.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been lucky with my 28 foot TT and use regular gas stations majority of times everywhere. Only a few times used flying J, Pilot, etc. and then I used their car lanes with my TT attached. The pullout from RV lanes seemed awfully cramped to me so never used them. Always used a regular cc for payment. Frequent camper but not full timer.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Pay at the pump should be at every pump, regardless where, without exception.
It should, but if you need dual fill diesel like me, many truck stop pumps don't accept regular credit cards from regular people. I have to go inside, leave my card, pump, go back in, or, give them an estimate and be done with it. The estimate method works pretty well in that if you only actually pay for what you pump.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm just purchasing fuel, I refuse to go inside to pay. If I can't pay at the pump I'll go elsewhere.

After all, it's not the 1970's anymore. Pay at the pump should be at every pump, regardless where, without exception.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeH wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Look into the EFS fleet fuel card by TSD Logistics. You'll get a lot more than 6 cents per gallon discount at a lot more truck stops.

Rob

Yep- but it's for diesel only... the OP has a gas truck

Thanks, Joe - missed that.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015