cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor Jack

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a flat on the trailer last week, small Pop Up, and was able to change it by myself using the jack from the truck. No problem, just jack up, change tire and jack down. But it got me a thinking.

Just what size of a floor jack would I need to jack up a mid-size trailer, 28-35 foot? I'm planning on going to a larger camper in a year or so, and don't want to have to start completely over on the necessities.

I, also, have seen those roll up stands to help change the tire, but figure (hopefully) the jack will mainly be use for rotating the tires.
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size? In theory a 6 ton jack can lift one side of a 12 ton trailer.. However in practice.. The trailer may be overweight or the rating on the jack a tad "Generous"

I would go with the Trailer's GVW sticker.. Whatever the trailer is rated as max weight.. A jack in that range should do it.

Example. On my motor home I use a 12 ton, the motor home is rated to be no more than 22,000 pounds (11 ton)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Floor jacks don't work too good on gravel or wet ground.
They're tough to position and if the jack is under the trailer with a lot of weight the jack handle is hard to pull\push down.

The 12 ton bottle jack works very well.

craiger4
Explorer
Explorer
Bottle jack.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
emonkemeier wrote:
I thought we were to jack the frame to lift the tires, not the axles.
Ed
Last month when I had new tires put on my 5er the tire shops big floor jacks did not have enough reach to lift it at the frame. They jacked on axle at the spring u-bolts.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
emonkemeier wrote:
Ed

Jack it under the supports, and NOT out on the axle
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

emonkemeier
Explorer
Explorer
Ed
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
2012 Cruiser RV Viewfinder 24SD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
mrquacker wrote:
I agree, a bottle jack would be nice. But when the tire is flat, I only had about 5 inches of space under the axle...

Run the flat tire onto one of your leveling blocks and then use the jack.

An old school scissors jack may also be an option. They are a lot shorter to get under a low axle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
For tandem axles, Lynx Levelers work great.
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

byways
Explorer
Explorer
mrquacker wrote:
I agree, a bottle jack would be nice. But when the tire is flat, I only had about 5 inches of space under the axle. Now if I had dual axles . . .

Exactly. With the size of trailer you're looking at you will have tandems, and likely more than 5 inches. I carry a bottle jack with an adapter that sits on top to cradle my axle tube. I jack on the axle directly beneath my spring hangars.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
go with a floor jack,carry riece of 3/4 in plywood or similar to place under it if not on good surface.A 2 1/2 ton would be plenty big enough,i used mine to lift one front wheel on school buses in my shop all the time . be careful

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, a bottle jack would be nice. But when the tire is flat, I only had about 5 inches of space under the axle. Now if I had dual axles . . .

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry a 3 ton floor jack in my truck box.
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think floor jacks are nice if you're using them in a garage or on a smooth surface.
If you want to carry it in your RV, I agree with Randu, get a bottle jack.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Bottle jacks are smaller to carry and store and have better lifting capacities. My trailer is 16,000# and I carry a 10 ton bottle jack. Think I only paid 19.95 at Harbor Freight. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3