cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fine for dumping RV tanks in a storm drain???

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tour bus dumps on the street

(This is NOT political, please keep it that way. The rules of this forum clearly state: "Political and religious posts, pictures, links, signatures etc. are not allowed in these forums and may be removed without notice or discussion." This is a current news event and directly relates to a regular function we perform as RV owners.)

What are the expected repercussions of this tank dump which required a HazMat response to clean up? I imagine some sort of fine would probably be in order. However, in some areas the consequences might be even more drastic depending on the local laws. The video says this is an 'arrestable offense'. Would the powers-that-be go so far as to impound the RV? What if the storm drain was one of the ones labeled "Drains to stream" and has a fish painted on it? Ick!

The news will play this out and it will be interesting to watch. I am only curious what the expected outcome would normally be so that I can contrast that against what actually happens. PLEASE don't go down a D vs R road as I suspect the moderators would quickly squash this post.

(And no, saying you saw Cousin Eddie do this in the Christmas Vacation movie doesn't count!!) ๐Ÿ™‚
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,
22 REPLIES 22

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Was it this guy?

Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
nomad.297 wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:
What if the storm drain was one of the ones labeled "Drains to stream"
Where else would a storm drain lead to?

Bruce
In Providence RI the storm drains and sewer are combined. In my town they are not combined since we do not have town wide sewers.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
nomad.297 wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:

Bruce

Uhh...to a sewer treatment plant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_sewer

I think the correct answer is, where do you live? Where we currently live in GA, storm drains drain out to ditches on the side of the road. The only sewer that ends up in the sewer treatment plant is the sewer lines from homes and businesses.

Where we lived before now was a barrier island in NJ. Storm drains drained to the ocean. Where we grew up, also in NJ, some storm drains flowed to the water treatment plant, some to nearby lakes and streams. Here's an example.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
There sure was a lot of foul stuff on that bus
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
myredracer wrote:
Sho musta bin a lotta poo on dat bus. They issued an apology so it's all good now... news story

I used to live in a city that has been dumping all of it's sewage directly into the ocean with only basic (coarse) filtration. After decades of pressure, it looks like they will finally be building a treatment plant. I can't imagine all the toxic substances that ended up in the marine environment and the negative effect it's had.
DutchmenSport wrote:
Now granted it's just Poo and TP! But some people just get all stupid crazy.
Hey! Speaking of poo and crazy, it's Wednesday and it's survivor night. Who will get thrown under the bus and get sent home tonight? ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya Victoria is still dumping right in the harbor, sorry harbour, lol. And it'll be years since they decided to not build a central plant for all the towns.
And Spokane has combined sewers in part of the city that go straight to the river and not thru the treatment plant during big storm events.
1 bus load of recycled groceries ain't the end of the world.
But it's still gross.........
Guess after you've upgraded a couple wastewater plants, it's not as big a deal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
"Fortunately, state law allows for governments to charge private entities for the cost of specialty responses. "

Good

Chevyman2006
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Only reason the hazmat crew was called out was because of the bus's paint job... a chance for some folks to get their 15 minutes in the national spotlight.

Just a few weeks ago a local hardware store deliver truck dumped gallons and gallons of oil paint on the road because they took a corner too fast and lost control of their load. What was the governments response? They sent a firetruck out to pressure wash the road; they blasted all that toxic paint right into a storm drain.

No fines, no jail time, no investigation into the hardware store. The driver wasn't even ticketed. No television news crews showed up. The local paper did shoot a 30 second video spot on it.

I can ASSURE you that the reason that HAZMAT was called out had nothing to do with who was on the side of the bus. Nobody on scene knew for almost 30 minutes about the cell pictures and what the bus had on the side.

FACTS:
The bus was gone before the first Lawrenceville PD arrived. When he got their, there was dried toilet paper and obvious fecal matter on the asphalt and sidewalk.

The storm drain feeds a stream that flows through a neighborhood less than 200 yards of the street.

The "waste" was contained by booms and removed. I can assure you the costs of materials alone is more than $5000. Fortunately, state law allows for governments to charge private entities for the cost of specialty responses.
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Duramax/ Allison
2009 Keystone Copper Canyon 298fwbhs
Wife and two BEAUTIFUL girls!!

Nights camped in 2010: 64
Nights camped in 2011: 58
Nights camped in 2012: 75

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad.297 wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:

Bruce

Uhh...to a sewer treatment plant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_sewer

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I heard the charter company had earlier sent the driver a email about how to properly dump the tanks. But the bus driver thought the email was about yoga routines and deleted it.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:
Tour bus dumps on the street

(This is NOT political, please keep it that way. The rules of this forum clearly state: "Political and religious posts, pictures, links, signatures etc. are not allowed in these forums and may be removed without notice or discussion." This is a current news event and directly relates to a regular function we perform as RV owners.)

What are the expected repercussions of this tank dump which required a HazMat response to clean up? I imagine some sort of fine would probably be in order. However, in some areas the consequences might be even more drastic depending on the local laws. The video says this is an 'arrestable offense'. Would the powers-that-be go so far as to impound the RV? What if the storm drain was one of the ones labeled "Drains to stream" and has a fish painted on it? Ick!

The news will play this out and it will be interesting to watch. I am only curious what the expected outcome would normally be so that I can contrast that against what actually happens. PLEASE don't go down a D vs R road as I suspect the moderators would quickly squash this post.

(And no, saying you saw Cousin Eddie do this in the Christmas Vacation movie doesn't count!!) ๐Ÿ™‚
Your post reeks just as much as the contents of that tank - gee you don't know the repercussions of dumping waste water into a storm drain? You really need to ask? Maybe just a cover for a hidden agenda. Hoping your post gets splashed....
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:

Bruce

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
"Honest mistake" How convenient, right over a storm drain

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that it was the bus company that provides the charter that is responsible, the candidates have no control over the much more than the itenerary. Anybody remember when the Dave Matthews Band bus did essentially the same thing?

I now see that this is all old news, sorry!
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Sho musta bin a lotta poo on dat bus. They issued an apology so it's all good now... news story

I used to live in a city that has been dumping all of it's sewage directly into the ocean with only basic (coarse) filtration. After decades of pressure, it looks like they will finally be building a treatment plant. I can't imagine all the toxic substances that ended up in the marine environment and the negative effect it's had.
DutchmenSport wrote:
Now granted it's just Poo and TP! But some people just get all stupid crazy.
Hey! Speaking of poo and crazy, it's Wednesday and it's survivor night. Who will get thrown under the bus and get sent home tonight? ๐Ÿ™‚
Who cares, the game is on and the Dodgers still have a shot ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350