cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fighting off boredom on the road

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a quick trip 4 hours west. While we found things to chat about, there were plenty of long, boring stretches of roads, and not much scenery besides fields. We are traveling with no kids either and are new to driving longer distances. Looking for ideas to pass the time.
57 REPLIES 57

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Are there other "games" to play besides the alphabet game? We also play count the whiskey plates, different states and expired tabs on vehicles. This is during the long, flat stretches of course.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We subscribe to Sirius XM radio.

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
I read a good mystery, listen to my I-Pod , enjoy scenery and since I am navigator I look at a good map and GS campground catalogue. I try to find good side trips we might enjoy. ON one trip while nearing St.Louis I noticed The town of Hannibal and off the beaten path we went. Home of Mark Twain and a delightful adventure!
Just explore and enjoy the fun of the journey.

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie Rver :C here!

.........just be still and KNOW him.(what ever you conceive HIM to be)......
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We never get bored either. Sometimes we talk for a while, DW goes to sleep for a while or she does her thing in her navigation duties. She also practices new songs while underway. Her singing always lifts my spirits and eyelids!
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
We never get bored when traveling. We talk to each other, listen to talk radio, music, CD music and look at the scenery. Always something to see or to talk about.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
I have a really cool ap called TX Markers. I don't even have to stop to read the signs.

Thx so much for the tip about the app. It is now on our IPads and will give us that much more to now plan our trips! Thx again.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids were little, wife used to read books during the drives. It was pretty cool, and we all kinda miss that!

Audio books. Check your local library for "Great Courses" audio books. I am still kinda stuck with using (gasp!) CDs, and the courses usually come about 8-10 CDs in a package. One trip I listened to a fascinating talk about classical music, another one was a shortened version of "The History of Everything".

I have found I prefer non-fiction over fiction... with fiction novels, I have to keep track of plot and such, which sometimes gets confusing when I have to pay attention to things like driving.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I have a really cool ap called TX Markers. I don't even have to stop to read the signs.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Get off the interstates and take the "red" roads (US hwy's and State roads). Traffic permitting actually stop at the historical and geologic markers. 5 minutes down the road I have forgotten what we read, but at least I knew something for awhile,,,,,
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
we talk to each other, seldom do we turn on the radio, but we really really like each other.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I set it on cruise control, light some mood candles and take a nice quiet nap. :W
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has become an excellent navigator and spends time looking for interesting things to see, places to eat, get fuel, etc. She makes a great traveling partner and we always find something to talk about. We can also tolerate periods of silence and listening to XM radio.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the long boring stretches thats when the navigator drives & the driver dozes. Works well that way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995