cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiat 500

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of buying one as a third car for my wife and I with eventual use as a Toad. It's a manual, convertible. Anyone else have one? How do they tow? Any special considerations when outfitting it for towing?
16 REPLIES 16

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Vega based on Consumer Reports rating them as a "Buy"! So much for them...

Gary

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Horizon170 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:
Any special considerations when outfitting it for towing?

The special consideration is that it is a terrible car with very poor ratings from many sources and has one of the worst reliability ratings of any car sold in the USA.

AS far as towing, it is light and has no restrictions as to distance or speed with a manual transmission. That is probably good, since it may well be towed to a repair shop more than it is driven!

That is total BS as ours with 70K has never been the shop except for oil changes.
We cant tow ours as it is an automatic.
Marvin

I am glad you have had good service from your Fiat. However, what I posted is not B.S. Consumer Reports maintains a data base for repairs and their records form actual consumers say different.

You are right about the consensus--------------we are lucky I guess.
Forgive me.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:

The special consideration is that it is a terrible car with very poor ratings from many sources and has one of the worst reliability ratings of any car sold in the USA.

AS far as towing, it is light and has no restrictions as to distance or speed with a manual transmission. That is probably good, since it may well be towed to a repair shop more than it is driven!

That is total BS as ours with 70K has never been the shop except for oil changes.
Marvin

I am glad you have had good service from your Fiat. However, what I posted is not B.S. Consumer Reports maintains a data base for repairs and their records form actual consumers say different.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:

Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, quite the bunch of opinions lol. We shall see how it shakes out.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
A used anything is better than a new Fiat.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
Have you read the reviews on the Fiat. If I'm not mistaken I believe it had the lowest reliability rating of any car sold in America.

On a positive note you could always tow it to the dealer when it needs worked on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
We left a park in Largo, FL last weekend. There was a couple there that was towing a Fiat Convertible. Didn't stop to talk to them as there was a bit of a language challenge (from Quebec). I didn't really look at the car too much other than to notice that it was a Fiat 500 Convertible.

We are currently 4-down towing a 6-speed 2013 Mini Cooper Roadster S. I've seen some convertibles being towed 4-down too as an alternative. I'm guessing that there will be some comments about people not liking the Mini's either but we're on our 3rd and yea, they aren't cheap to fix but the first one we ordered is still on the road 13 years later with over 200K miles.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Fiat stands for = Fix It Again Tony

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
Are you talking about a Fiat or a Yugo ? Or maybe a Vega? ๐Ÿ™‚

All very similar, no?

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Are you talking about a Fiat or a Yugo ? Or maybe a Vega? ๐Ÿ™‚

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:

That's special, Forward Thinking engineering. :B

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
We rented one on vacation too. The driver's armrest was already broken. My wife refers to it as the worst car ever. And it isn't like she is used to the best; she drives a base Versa. It was easy to park at the campsite because it was so short. I remember the engine being loud.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.