cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric plug in heaters recommendations

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at plug in heaters to replace a cheap one we bought a year ago. The trouble with this one is the thermostat is way too wide. It cuts in at 60, then out about ten degrees higher.

I am looking at a Tenergy unit that sells through Amazon. This model has a squirrel cage fan and wraps the cord up on the back because it feeds in the front and exits out the same.

We like a quiet unit, and a unit with a handle too as we have to stow it between stops.

Any that you particularly like, or really don't?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
10 REPLIES 10

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I might buy one of these to provide a more accurate control of temperature. Plug In Thermostat

That looks like a good idea. I have a oil filled baseboard heater. It works well in my 20 foot TT.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I might buy one of these to provide a more accurate control of temperature. Plug In Thermostat

Dittos! I have never had decent performance out of an in-heater thermostat, but the pictured thermostat does a much better job of maintaining a halfway even temperature.

As to type- After trying many, I THINK I like the oil filled "radiators" the best. While they don't have a 'circulating fan' I've found that old fashioned convection does an adequate job of heating the whole room. The only trouble with them is that I can't seem to keep them on "full time". Even when totally on high, the internal thermostat kicks them off pretty regularly- and thus limits the ability to heat vs. some other types of heaters. They are also a little bit big and heavy compared to others.

Used to love "Vornadoes" (they had a nice quiet fan), but I've had too many break and they cost a pretty penny!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLUG IN HEATERS IN RV's (unless)

The reason for this is that the Uni-box or Quick Box Outlets are really not that good at double digit amperage (The standard 1500 watt heater is 12.5 amps I think) the punch down type connections they use are great for say a few milliamps of telephone current (common in phone systems) but at double digits there is not enough contact area between teh wire and teh outlet so it gets HOT. and things MELT.. I've not had a wire actually melt on me but others have. I have had "How wire smell"

I put in a pair of 15/20 outlets with 12ga wire bent around a well tightened screw.. Each one has a circuit breaker to itself (one 15 one 20. that is what I had open) and both of 'em .. LIke 12 years and not one evidence of overheat.

I agree with this and also installed a dedicated outlet on its own breaker for a heater. I used the screw type with the wire wrapped around it just like God intended. I also replaced the other outlets with real ones wherever I could.

A heater with the 750 and 1500 watt settings is also a great idea.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan on keeping your rig CHEAP HEAT is the way to go!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have some HOlmes I rather like and I think Honeywell.

BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLUG IN HEATERS IN RV's (unless)

The reason for this is that the Uni-box or Quick Box Outlets are really not that good at double digit amperage (The standard 1500 watt heater is 12.5 amps I think) the punch down type connections they use are great for say a few milliamps of telephone current (common in phone systems) but at double digits there is not enough contact area between teh wire and teh outlet so it gets HOT. and things MELT.. I've not had a wire actually melt on me but others have. I have had "How wire smell"

I put in a pair of 15/20 outlets with 12ga wire bent around a well tightened screw.. Each one has a circuit breaker to itself (one 15 one 20. that is what I had open) and both of 'em .. LIke 12 years and not one evidence of overheat.

Currently I'm only using half power (750 watts) on each but that's all I need at the moment if I kicked one of 'em up to 1500 I'd be too hot in one area.

OH I have a 3rd circuit (also 15 amp breaker but 12ga wire) I added as well that one was added last summer to add power to the kitchen area NICE.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Digital heaterWe have used various iterations of this heater for years - the digital control works like your house's thermostat. Keeps the temp nice and uniform
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP...I recently purchased the Tenergy 750/1500 heater. I have used it several times, and am very happy with the performance, compared to others I've had. It has a very good cord on it, that can actually handle 1500 watts. The heat comes out the upper front, so the floor right in front of heater does not get hot. The squirrel cage does make a little rumble noise, if you are sitting right behind the heater, but moves huge amount of air.

My last week camp had night time temps in the mid 40s, and the Tenergy kept my entire FW at 70, when set at 1500 watts, thermostat knob just past halfway. My FW is well insulated, so others experience may differ.

Jerry

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
We have an oil filled radiator type that works very good. We keep it in the bedroom on low but it can heat our entire trailer down into the 40's on high. Best thing about it is, it's completely quiet.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
These are nice:
heater
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand