cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drop-ins or liquid?

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! This weekend when draining the black tank, it was very slow. I've been wondering if the outer casing on the drop-ins isn't dissolving and clogging the drain pipes. I went ahead and bought the liquid form, but wanted to ask if any of you have experienced this and what you did to solve it. In case you're wondering, we limit the number of times we go #2 and only use toilet paper designed for RV/boat septic systems.
42 REPLIES 42

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
drsteve wrote:
In light of all this, I'm trying to figure out how the black tank in my previous TT stayed clean for 13 years with no attention other than making sure there was lots of water in the tank when I dumped.

If you're the only one using the RV and you do this, sure it will be fine.

If however, you're buying a second hand unit, or someone else used the unit, it's a different story.

There's an old joke, "If is the biggest little word in the English language."

I mostly just use lots of water. My bathroom sink is connected to the high side of the black tank. If no one is in line behind me at the dump station I dump a couple of small buckets of water through that after pulling the black handle. You can do the same thing dumping a bucket of water through the toilet.

I don't feel the need to get the black tank clean enough to do surgery in. Just want to keep the poo pyramid from building up.

Dump it, throw a bucket of water though it, and go.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
In light of all this, I'm trying to figure out how the black tank in my previous TT stayed clean for 13 years with no attention other than making sure there was lots of water in the tank when I dumped.

If you're the only one using the RV and you do this, sure it will be fine.

If however, you're buying a second hand unit, or someone else used the unit, it's a different story.

There's an old joke, "If is the biggest little word in the English language."

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I use the wand to clean the tank after every 3rd trip,I always add about 5 gallons of water to the tank after I dump so the tank is not dry,and use plenty of water when flushing.

The wand is not the most pleasant tool to use but they do clean the tank good.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

N2ZPY
Explorer
Explorer
We use the pods. I drop one in and put a few gallons in the tank before leaving home. I then dump usually within an hour of getting back home so things are mixed up really good.

Kevin

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
During 7 yrs of full-time we have NEVER limited our bodily functions or used any additives. Just plain ole water , a generous amount every time you flush. Don't dump until tank is near full and flush it out every once in awhile. We use regular septic safe paper.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I prefer my ice in my coffee. Water and lots of it is the solution.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Find The Fit RV on YouTube. He did extensive testing of various black tank cleaning methods. As Dick_B said the ice cube method didn't fare well.

As noted previously, that was hardly a valid "test" of anything. To start with, even with his 'driving like a maniac for an hour' a downsized pickup (read 'car with no rear body') rides a BUNCH differently than my m/h does, and it certainly take a LOT more than one bag of ice and an hours drive to accomplish much.

People I know and myself have had good results doing it, but as stated, done wrong nearly anything will fail.

The method we've had success with was;

1) Fill the tank nearly full with clean water and let it stand several days, more is better.

2) Drain tank and flush, preferably with a strong stream form a garden hose from above.

3) Before the tank and its contents have a chance to dry out again add (depending on tank size) enough ice to cover the tank bottom, 4 bags minimum, and just enough water for the ice to slide easily, with no water it quickly sticks in place and doesn't move till there's enough melted to do this. Notice in the above video, no water, just ice? Mo water with the ice, no motion, no motion, no cleaning action.

4) Go for a LONG drive, I start with step 2 on the morning I'm leaving on a trip, it gets a solid 8 to 10 hours of motion.

5) Top up the tank with a little more water when you arrive.

6) Done!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Before joining the RV.Net Forums, I knew nothing about motorized RV's other than I wanted one, now I know a little more and one thing I have never had a problem with keeping the tanks cleaned up and not smelling.(An aside, the AAV's were both bad when we bought the Winnie, repaired and no more sewer gas smell in the coach)

I read lots of stuff here in the forums and decided to try some things for a problem that only marginally existed. The well publicized pyramid of poop did need addressing but it was hard to educate the DGKs. Now that they are more sophisticated in RVing, it's no problem.

I tried some of the chemicals, ICE w/o softener and others, the best thing so far, as repeated over and over, water and plenty of it, both during and after using the john. We do have a whirling spray flush system in the black tank and it takes far less time and water to flush than the wand or the back flush elbow methods. It is well worth the cost and when we get another rig that will be added if not already installed.

I do use a garbage disposal macerator pump at home and it is almost as fast with that and the flush system and it is with the 3" stinky slinky and flush system. I do like dumping right after traveling because as stated, everything is already mixed up and not settled on the bottom of the tank.

Chemicals, twice a year before storage, just a cap-full, no more. Preventative and probably unneeded.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
listen to the old biscuit.

we sure took off on a tangent here with the toilet paper issue. :R

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the video. In my opinion it was not a very good test.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Find The Fit RV on YouTube. He did extensive testing of various black tank cleaning methods. As Dick_B said the ice cube method didn't fare well.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
BTW the ice cube idea has been debunked. They just float round on the top.

If you do just about anything wrong it wonโ€™t work they way itโ€™s supposed to.

The *proper* way is to have just enough water that the ice can move around freely on the bottom of the tank.

If you put so much water in that the ice is sloshing around above the deposits of course itโ€™s not going to do anything.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
What everyone else said. BTW, if you're doing things correctly, no reason I can think of to limit "#2". Biggest cause of problems I've seen is not using enough water when dumping or leaving the black tank valve open when hooked up to sewer and thus building your own magnificent poop pyramid in the bottom of your now dry black tank

As to tissue, we use Kirkland or Angel Soft because the wife likes those 2. Please don't waste money on RV tp. Just use what you normally use at home
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"