cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driver's License for over 26,001 lbs.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need some help if possible. I could swear that I found information that Missouri required a special cdl-type license if the combined GVWR of truck and trailer is over 26,001 lbs. But now all I can find references commercial licenses and no mention of needing a non-commercial Class A license. Any help would be appreciated.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
11 REPLIES 11

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you're correct. They don't make it easy, that's for sure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how States make a simple question so hard to get the correct answer. In my State you have to read past the 1st page of the CDL handbook, no mention in non CDL handbook. Page one says personal RVs are exempt , just need a regular Class C. The GOTCHA is a few pages in , " Exceptions to the Excemptions " and only here does it explain the requirement for a non-CDL class A or B for driving /towing over 26001 lbs.
Why do States confuse the question ? I have the Tx non-CDL classA and have only know of one person who posted a rant on Jayco forums a few years back about getting a ticket for incorrect license . I would bet over half the heavy RV's are driven useing the standard DL issued by States that require the heavier class of DL.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Thanks guys, I agree with rhagfo: contacting the DMV may be the best option.

ZACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the .pdf and link. The .pdf link was a bit confusing, as it said "Commercial drivers are exempt from CDL law if they are driving an RV. That would appear that RV drivers don't need a special license.

So I guess I will continue to soldier on with my regular trusty driver's license. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks all.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I too suggest visiting a Missouri DMV office.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
open this document, then ctrl + F...type in Recreational in the search window...there is your answer...use the arrows by the search window to cycle through every mention of Recreational.
https://dor.mo.gov/forms/CDL%20Manual.pdf

More info and links for other states:

https://www.rvezy.com/blog/rv-drivers-license-requirements-usa
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren't driving / towing for commercial purposes, that is, where you could be paid or win prize money of some kind, then you don't need a commercial drivers license. If you are towing around a toy hauler with dirt bikes and racing them where you might win something then technically that is considered commercial.
This is how the federal DOT looks at it.
Now, states may have a requirement for a non-commercial license of some kind for that weight even if for recreational purposes but you will have to ask your state DMV.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys, I agree with rhagfo: contacting the DMV may be the best option.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't ask here email your state DMV and ask the question clearly. Non-commercial towing an RV, truck GVWR Trailer GVWR and the combined GVWR. Make sure they understand, then save the email.

I am in Oregon and that is what I did, I saved the email stating a normal drivers license covers over 26,000# in Oregon. In my case truck GVWR 14,000# and 5th wheel GVWR 12,360#, total 26,360#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you driving it for commercial purposes?
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Not under CDL requirements look at normal DL classes and endorsements available.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu