cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does it matter what breakaway switch you use?

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Like the title say does it matter and why? I am going to need to replace mine and I am just wondering before I buy one what the differences are?

Thanks for sharing your experience
Greg
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s
15 REPLIES 15

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
All is good
Thanks

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize, I was not trying to muddy the waters. When Cloud Dancer posted about selling his Blazer and did not remove it, and having to buy another one, I was thinking I was reading a post from nmhuntr and got confused.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Breakaway switch with cable

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
His post title clearly states breakaway switch. Why try and muddy the waters when it doesn't to be like that?
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the original poster is asking about the brake controller that is mounted in the cab of the tow vehicle, usually on the bottom side of the dash. If that is the case, then yes it matters, you want a progressive not a time based model. I just made the switch and would never go back to time based.

To the original poster: Could you clarify if you are asking about the breakaway switch, which is mounted to the tongue of your trailer and attaches to your tow vehicle with a thin wire and activates the brakes in the event of a hitch failure. OR are you talking about a brake controller which mounts in the cab of your tow vehicle on the bottom of the dash and activates the trailer brakes when you apply the tow vehicle brakes?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two answers
1: NO: all break away switches work much the same way. Two contacts held apart by a plastic "plug" that is attached to the tow vehicle. When break-a-way happens the plug is pulled and the contacts close.

2: Some .. It is way easier to re-insert the plug.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Most all are built simply and with cheap materials. I've found that greasing the plastic pin that separates the contact bars tends to keep everything operable for a longer time.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I sold my Blazer and forgot to remove the break away switch (needed for the new-to-me 4x4 GMC Envoy). I didn't have to look far. I found a new switch at Auto Zone, in the electrics section of their trailer hitch display area.

Breakaway switch or brake controller?

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My break away switch that was supplied by Brake Buddy rusted and fell apart in a few years of use. I called them and they wanted $75.00 for one saying it came with a kit of parts.

I went to NAPA and bought one for a boat trailer that was far better for little cost.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sold my Blazer and forgot to remove the break away switch (needed for the new-to-me 4x4 GMC Envoy). I didn't have to look far. I found a new switch at Auto Zone, in the electrics section of their trailer hitch display area.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to say yes. Why? Because of quality. Like everything else in this world there are differences in quality.

I personally would get one that is pretty good quality. No, you don't need one with gold contacts or whatever but you do need one that won't fall apart in the 2nd season. How to find that one is a whole new kettle of fish.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Just as clarification...which switch you use is irrelevant. However, the pins used in the various brands can differ slightly.

So, if you are changing the entire mechanism, buy the one that suits you; if you are just wanting to replace the pin (cable), make sure the pin matches your device.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Agreed, all work the same.