Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Discount Travel Cards

Murphcrud
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Just inquiring about these Discount Travel Cards/Booklets and wondering if they are worth considering purchasing.
A bit of background on us - Kitchener, ON. retired, Monday to Thursday campers (mainly Ontario travel) 30 Ft Motor Home, will be wintering in Florida 4-5 months Punta Gorda, Fort Myers, Naples, Keys area.
Any info as to benefits and what cards are available will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,

Harv

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for how-to question related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, go to the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!
7 REPLIES 7

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

CAA card may give you a 10% discount at some commercial campgrounds. You do have to be bold and ask for the discount.

Passport America may be the only card that I would consider. But then, I mostly boondock.

http://www.passportamerica.com/

I search for coupons for restaurant meals--but I sure don't pay "extra" for such discounts.

I contribute to the following website as often as I can:

https://freecampsites.net/

Don't forget that, on a rolling average, you may only stay in USA about 120 days per calendar year, and that if you stay longer than 31 days a closer connections to Canada form needs to be sent to the US revenue service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Murphcrud
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
High school groups, scouts and other civic groups often sell cards good for discounts at local merchants. Many areas have a book of discount coupons for stores, restaurants and services. Iโ€™ve also seen them promoted as a โ€˜great way to save on your Disney vacationโ€™.

In my experience they tend to be local in coverage. Heavily focused on non-chain restaurants.

As with any โ€˜discountโ€™ they are valuable if they are for services you normally use.

There is a TACA ? card available to anyone in Texas. It gives 10-15% off regular rates at a few hundred RV parks in Texas. They are found in a free booklet of RV parks available at almost all Texas welcome centers.

Weโ€™ve seem similar books/ discount listings at other state welcome centers. Just one additional reason to stop there if you donโ€™t already have reservations for all nights of your stays in the state.

Personally we travel too much to take advantage of the booklets of discount coupons, but do sometimes use the state level RV discounts if the card/ coupons are free.

The only RV focused discount that I pay for is Passport America. And of course my lifetime US Federal Senior Pass, which the OP is not eligible to obtain because they are not US citizens/ residents.

(We do use Good Sam or Escapees discounts at RV parks occasionally, but any RV Park Discount is not why we belong to those organizations.)

We do not stay at KOA parks, but there are many people on this forum who do, and the KOA card is valuable to them.

As I said above, almost any discount card/ coupon is valuable if you use it. And a waste of money/ time if you do not.

Your last paragraph makes the most sense and is probably the best reply to my questions. I think we will just pass on these and visit welcome centers when we visit.

Thanks all.

Murphcrud
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Need more info on the discount cards. Are they for gas? Food? RV Park rentals?

All of the above. Mainly RV park Rentals.
Gas can usually be found cheaper using 'gas buddies', rather than these 5 or 6 cent discount per gallon cards.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
High school groups, scouts and other civic groups often sell cards good for discounts at local merchants. Many areas have a book of discount coupons for stores, restaurants and services. Iโ€™ve also seen them promoted as a โ€˜great way to save on your Disney vacationโ€™.

In my experience they tend to be local in coverage. Heavily focused on non-chain restaurants.

As with any โ€˜discountโ€™ they are valuable if they are for services you normally use.

There is a TACA ? card available to anyone in Texas. It gives 10-15% off regular rates at a few hundred RV parks in Texas. They are found in a free booklet of RV parks available at almost all Texas welcome centers.

Weโ€™ve seem similar books/ discount listings at other state welcome centers. Just one additional reason to stop there if you donโ€™t already have reservations for all nights of your stays in the state.

Personally we travel too much to take advantage of the booklets of discount coupons, but do sometimes use the state level RV discounts if the card/ coupons are free.

The only RV focused discount that I pay for is Passport America. And of course my lifetime US Federal Senior Pass, which the OP is not eligible to obtain because they are not US citizens/ residents.

(We do use Good Sam or Escapees discounts at RV parks occasionally, but any RV Park Discount is not why we belong to those organizations.)

We do not stay at KOA parks, but there are many people on this forum who do, and the KOA card is valuable to them.

As I said above, almost any discount card/ coupon is valuable if you use it. And a waste of money/ time if you do not.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know which you are referring but it may depend on what activities you enjoy. We always now get the annual pass when going to some FLA state parks. If the annual is only $20 and a daily is $10 then it is a no-brainer if going more than once.

Everyone will be different depending on use.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Need more info on the discount cards. Are they for gas? Food? RV Park rentals?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.