cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

disconnect, hide electrical cord when overnite at Walmart?

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally overnight at rest areas, truck stops and Walmarts. I have a toad behind my motorhome and of course there is an electrical cord connecting the two. Who disconnects the cord and stows it out of sight? Am I being overly distrustful? I do have locks on all the towbar pieces.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad
40 REPLIES 40

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, do what you think is good for you, if removing the cord will help you sleep, do it. We always check everything before we leave in the morning to see if anything was disturbed or lost or damaged the previous day.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I don't sweat the small stuff, nor am I afraid of living my life. I am however smart enough to make sure I don't have to absorb additional costs or inconvenience while on a camping trip caused by the dregs of life.

OP - if taking the cord of at a walmart overnighter makes you sleep better at night - just do it. Make a list of things to do in the morning if you feel you need a reminder. Don't apologize for wanting to keep your stuff secure.

X2.

If it puts you at ease and doesn't create a hazard for others, then go for it.

I take realistic precautions and then enjoy life.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If I was a not-too-bright thief or one of a couple of kids horsing around, I'd seek out a place like Walmart that has multiple entries and exits, is open 24/7, and has people coming and going at all hours. Nobody would notice me while I was shopping in the parking lot. I say not-too-bright because they probably don't know what its for but its easy to steal.
OTOH, an RV park normally has a single entrance/exit, maybe a key card or code to open the gate or an office within sight of the gate that may or may not have someone manning it inside. But you have to pay for security. I've always thought it was worth it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Even though I've not had anything but my bumper sewage hose stolen, why give thieves and vandals a free pass? I lock everything when unhitching -- the BAL X-chocks, wheels, hitch, tongue latch, hitch receiver pin, generator, and battery. The trick isn't being the most secure, but being more secure than the people around, so the tweaker goes to the rig next door.

I do agree about meth-head thieves not being smart. My neighbor's mailbox used to get stolen off his wall every so often until he went to a cheap, plastic one.

It all depends on area one is at. Theft does happen at campgrounds and renaissance faires... but usually it is a few incidents that get a lot of press, and a lot of people hunting down the thieves. However, where I read/hear of many different incidents are at storage yards, where a lot of those places have little security, and here in Texas, burglary of an unoccupied RV is considered burglary of a vehicle (not a habitation), so the burglar might get a night in the clink before being released since the bed in the jailhouse is more needed for a drunk driver.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't sweat the small stuff, nor am I afraid of living my life. I am however smart enough to make sure I don't have to absorb additional costs or inconvenience while on a camping trip caused by the dregs of life.

OP - if taking the cord of at a walmart overnighter makes you sleep better at night - just do it. Make a list of things to do in the morning if you feel you need a reminder. Don't apologize for wanting to keep your stuff secure.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I must not live in the same country you folks do. In my country the tweakers know that that cord contains about 7 cents worth of copper, and the 15 pound WDH bars maybe 2 cents worth of steel. They normally are not willing to work that hard for no reward. These guys are junkies, they are not stupid.
How many have personally have had their rig indisputably screwed with? Any one?
I drive around with an open truck full of tools, fence posts, wire oil cans,gas cans and beer cans, etc, every day of my life and never in my 52 years of doing this have I lost anything.
Is it possible yes of course it is,but I,none of my friends or family has ever experienced a loss.
Part of being a safe responsible operator is doing a walk around safety check whenever the rig is out of your sight. Doing less borders on criminality!

Most around here probably know it's 7 cents worth of copper so they put it in the cart that they pull with there bike and go looking for more.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We overnight frequently in rest areas when we run back and forth between Houston, Tx & Winchester, Va.

I drilled my head/hitch pins so that i can slip a (combination) pad lock in them to prevent anyone from removing the pin or disconnecting our toad or from stealing or disconnecting our tow bar (camping or others wise).

meth-head thieves aren't smart - they'll steal anything (they smashed the window on my wifes Miata and stole 3 CD's & a pair of cloth gloves).

call me paranoid - but this stuff cost a lot of money & I'm gonna do my best to keep it.

If the coach were to catch fire, I'm more concerned about getting my passengers & dog OUT of the coach than i am saving the toad....let it burn (we're insured).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I must not live in the same country you folks do. In my country the tweakers know that that cord contains about 7 cents worth of copper, and the 15 pound WDH bars maybe 2 cents worth of steel. They normally are not willing to work that hard for no reward. These guys are junkies, they are not stupid.
How many have personally have had their rig indisputably screwed with? Any one?
I drive around with an open truck full of tools, fence posts, wire oil cans,gas cans and beer cans, etc, every day of my life and never in my 52 years of doing this have I lost anything.
Is it possible yes of course it is,but I,none of my friends or family has ever experienced a loss.
Part of being a safe responsible operator is doing a walk around safety check whenever the rig is out of your sight. Doing less borders on criminality!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my cord from my toad when I am stopped for an extended time due to the toad pulls 12 volts from the battery on the truck. I put the cord on the drivers seat. I dont think it pulls that much current, but I dont want to push my luck.

But I also inspect all pins, chains, locks, tires, and tire temperatures immediately every time we stop, and before we start moving.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:

Had a that had a lock everywhere there was a hole .........

:h

:h

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
It's the copper they steal it for, not for the cord itself.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Someone will steal anything. When we stop at Wal Mart or other places, especially areas we don't know, I stay at the coach while she shops or vice verse.

One of my Grandmothers used to worry about everything too. I guess she was right. She died at 92!

I am sooooo glad I do not go thru life worried constantly.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Being retired, we kris cross the USA all the time but have never given the smallest thought to overnighting at anywhere but an RV park. We have been to many, many parks and have our favorites across the US, there is far more to do and far more satisfaction in dealing with trusted locations or even finding new ones.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Someone will steal anything. When we stop at Wal Mart or other places, especially areas we don't know, I stay at the coach while she shops or vice verse.

How sad:(
Traveling with my best friend my wife!