cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dingy towing

llmoore1953
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 dodge 1500 4x4 pickup. would like to know if any others have towed a half ton with there gas class A. I used to flat tow a 2004 dakota 4x4 and worked really well for us. I know mileage may suffer a bit, but will save in buying a small suv just to keep as a tow car. Motorhome is 1998 forest river, 34 ft with a very good 460 motor. Any help would be great, thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Apples to apples, there will be a small difference only. Basically 1000lbs more. The real question is what is "ok" to you? You're obviously ok with going slow and going even slower up hills. Call it 20% worse for the 20% more weight you're pulling and that will be a good ballpark what to expect.

The one thing you have going for you is trailers pull "easy", comparatively, behind class A's due to drafting the moho.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

llmoore1953
Explorer
Explorer
yes you are correct on the truck weight. I will be checking out the hitch weight today and see what i can do.

Y-Guy
Check the weight limits for the hitch, if my google was correct your truck comes in at 6400# if the hitch is only rated for 5000# you have a problem. I addition you'll need to check the overall rating for ability to tow that much. My gut says you won't be happy with the the seutp.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon