cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Damaged water pump intake strainer cup.

BluStem
Explorer
Explorer
We were continually getting air in our water and the pump took longer to pressurize and shut off so when I checked the pump inlet strainer I found that the housing was not only full of cracks but had turned white on the inside.

I put on a new strainer cup and everything is back to normal.
Cheap plastic? Never had this happen before.
RV is 9 years old so it makes me wonder.
Anyone else ever had this issue?
2008 Dodge 2500 Quadcab
2010 Rockwood 2304S
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
mleekamp wrote:
I've never had that happen in 20+ years of having TT's and now a motorhome. Could have cracked over last winter due to residual water, and became worse over the summer's use ? Don't know. But, a cheap and easy fix....I'd just check it on occasion.

This would be my guess as well. I had one freeze and crack once when some residual water damaged it. It turned white just like the OP's picture shows.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Shurflo pump strainer the turned white and cracked like that. It could be some of the bleach concentration was too strong when it passed through the strainer. I know when mixing insecticide for spraying my gardens in the past, malathion that I used for Aphid control on the sweet corn and sometimes on tomatoes would turn clear Plastics white when I mixed it. It even melted a plastic 1 oz measuring cup used for measuring liquid medicine.

It softened and turned the clear vinyl dip tube on the Ryobi 18-volt electric sprayer I bought a couple years ago white. I used malathion in the sprayer on a huge nest of yellow jackets in the ground along with some yellow and brown wasps that had built paper nests around the yard.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice that you caught it before it came apart and leaked all over.
Or left you high and dry..

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I had one fog up badly, I blamed it on the bleach used for sanitizing.

Been using bleach for 30 years and haven't had that - maybe calcium/crud in the water. Just a guess.
Kevin

BluStem
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

I thought about that too. Didn't have any problem for 9 years now all of a sudden boom. I know I could see pink in it last fall.
I have only cleaned that screen a couple of times since we got it so it's not something I pay any real attention to.
2008 Dodge 2500 Quadcab
2010 Rockwood 2304S

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an expensive item to replace. Any RV dealer CW some hardwares.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

BluStem
Explorer
Explorer
The white layer looks like paint.

I could always see the pink in it when I winterize but don't pay any attention to it in the spring.
Yes, It's an cheap and easy fix. May have to get a spare in case it happens again. The white is a mystery, it looks like I painted it.
2008 Dodge 2500 Quadcab
2010 Rockwood 2304S

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had that happen in 20+ years of having TT's and now a motorhome. Could have cracked over last winter due to residual water, and became worse over the summer's use ? Don't know. But, a cheap and easy fix....I'd just check it on occasion.